Tekken X Street Fighter is Still Actually in Development

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Tekken X Street Fighter is Still Actually in Development

Tekken X Street Fighter will be the Tekken counterpart to 2012's Street Fighter X Tekken.

Tekken producer Katsuhiro Harada has assuredSiliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2013/08/02/yes-tekken-x-street-fighter-is-still-in-development/] that Tekken X Street fighter, which is the Tekken-style counterpart to 2012's Street Fighter X Tekken, is still actually in development.

About three years ago, Namco and Capcom teamed up to deliver a very special announcement to Tekken and Street Fighter fans: they were working on a crossover. Of course, Tekken and Street Fighter both have very unique fighting systems, so in order to appeal to both fan bases, two separate games were announced: Street Fighter X Tekken and Tekken X Street Fighter. Street Fighter X Tekken, developed by Capcom with a very Street Fighter-style engine, came out last year, but Tekken X Street Fighter seemingly dropped off the map.

"We will say first off that the game is still in development, so you don't need to worry about that. There are several reasons why we haven't released any updates. One of the reasons is, Street Fighter X Tekken was released. That still had updates until recently. One interesting thing we've seen with that title when it came out was that it's not quite what we expected," Harada said.

"It was not just Tekken fans and Street Fighter fans merging, there seems to be a whole new community growing around that title that wasn't playing either of the titles up until that point." he continued. "That was very unexpected, but quite cool. It's something we want to take care and grow." These comments come despite reports that the game received less-than-expected sales due to cannibalization of its franchises [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117274-Street-Fighter-X-Tekkens-Poor-Sales-Due-to-Cannibalism].

Harada ended the interview by stating that "We are making progress, but everything is secret so we can't say anything about that." Since the original announcement of Tekken X Street Fighter, five new Tekken titles have been released: Tekken Hybrid, Tekken 3D: Prime Edition, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Tekken Card Tournament, and Tekken Revolution.

Source: Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2013/08/02/yes-tekken-x-street-fighter-is-still-in-development/]

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
I think it was the whole Cross assaullt/Dlc debacle that delayed it. They really wanted to get that out of peoples minds.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The question is more "why is it still in the works?"

RaikuFA said:
I think it was the whole Cross assaullt/Dlc debacle that delayed it. They really wanted to get that out of peoples minds.
I seriously doubt that's the issue. Sales issues seem far more likely.

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
It'll most likely be next gen and hopefully it'll better than SFxT, I really like both the franchises but I'm a lot better at Tekken.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Hey, Capcom. I know these are some of your better sellers... but please. I'm sure you'd get a lot of attention and sales if you made a Megaman game... or you know... a Breath of Fire that ISN'T A GOD DAMN SOCIAL MOBILE APP! Enough with making 5 versions of the same fighting game. It's getting a bit out of hand.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
dragongit said:
Hey, Capcom. I know these are some of your better sellers... but please. I'm sure you'd get a lot of attention and sales if you made a Megaman game... or you know... a Breath of Fire that ISN'T A GOD DAMN SOCIAL MOBILE APP! Enough with making 5 versions of the same fighting game. It's getting a bit out of hand.
Well Capcom isn´t working on this game, soo... :p

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
This with the the new Guilty Gear are the fighting games I am really looking forward to. I love Tekken, think it is My fighting game of the ones I have played, and I can't wait to play SF characters in the Tekken engine.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
I'm hoping they avoid the fucking gem things from SFxT, though I'm not too confident they will.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
I liked SFxT. What I didn't like was the rush to launch it unfinished. It was good when it could have been great.