Shadowrun Returns DLC Berlin Coming This Fall

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Shadowrun Returns DLC Berlin Coming This Fall

The Shadowrun Returns DLC campaign Berlin, which will be free to Kickstarter backers, is expected to be out in late October.

Shadowrun Returns is out and doing pretty well for itself, but work is still ongoing at Harebrained Schemes. In its latest update, the studio talked a bit about what it's been up to "after taking a deep breath," including squashing bugs and addressing balance and support issues. Work on the Linux version has also begun, although it's still in a very rough state, and the studio is "actively pursuing" localizations as well. If all goes as planned, Spanish, Italian, German and French versions of the game will be available by early October.

Speaking of October, that's also the month that the first DLC campaign, Berlin, is expected to hit the streets. "Development of Berlin art is already underway, and our design team is also starting to prototype gameplay and mission ideas for the Berlin campaign," Harebrained stated. "We're targeting late October for the release of Berlin."

As confirmed back in April [http://harebrained-schemes.com/post/the-word-of-the-day-is-information/], Berlin will be free to Kickstarter backers and anyone who preordered the collector's edition; everyone else will have to pay for it, although no price was mentioned.

Harebrained also said that work on the iOS and Android tablet versions of the game is ongoing and should be wrapped up within a couple of weeks. It's not committing to a release target just yet, however, because it's not known how long it will take to get through Apple's certification process.

Source: Harebrained Schemes [http://harebrained-schemes.com/post/whats-happening-and-whats-next/]

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Hopefully the price isn't too high considering the game itself is only $20, but I'm loving the initial relrease enough that I'll probably buy the DLC day one anyway.

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
They might earn some goodwill if they released it for free, I'm not saying it should be but considering they got more than double what they asked for in the kickstarter it should be 5 at the most. That and it would be nice if the patches weren't making more problems than they were fixing.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
I wonder if we'll be able to carry across our characters from the main campaign, be awesome to keep building upon my character.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I wonder if people could just remake the DLC campaigns using the editor. And I wonder how the creators would react to that.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
DLC so soon? Sounds like cut content to me. Ah well, this game doesn't appeal to me anyway.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Anti-American Eagle said:
They might earn some goodwill if they released it for free, I'm not saying it should be but considering they got more than double what they asked for in the kickstarter it should be 5 at the most. That and it would be nice if the patches weren't making more problems than they were fixing.
It's free for backers as far as I remember.

OT: They actually hint at this campaign in Dead Man's Switch (which I finished last night). I'm excited to see what comes of the DLC, but I hope they focus the bulk of their efforts on bug fixes and feature enhancements for the time being. The game's got its fair share of bugs >.>

BartyMae

Apr 20, 2012
Fappy said:
Anti-American Eagle said:
It's free for backers as far as I remember.
You guys talk about this like it's not directly stated to be so right in the headline...:p

I really need to get this game eventually...looks like fun.

nyysjan

Mar 12, 2010
MinionJoe said:
I'd be willing to pay $20 for this. The content and resources alone are worth $20 to me. The SRR engine that uses that content is like a loss-leader, ie the free razor to get people to buy refills. And I'm totally cool with that.
I'll pay 10?, no questions asked, 20? if they can promise a large (full game length) story with some decent replay value.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
mad825 said:
DLC so soon? Sounds like cut content to me.
It's an entirely different campaign with its own story and environments (in Berlin, rather than the original campaign's Seattle), which was added as a stretch goal during the Kickstarter.

So, no, it's not cut content.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Oh, yeah, I backed this. Should probably get around to downloading it one of these days.

Meh, eventually.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
JediMB said:
mad825 said:
It's an entirely different campaign with its own story and environments (in Berlin, rather than the original campaign's Seattle)

Not really convincing and it's more of an assertion than I made. What really gets under my skin is that the DLC was publicly funded and paid. I understand selling the main game at a price but they won't be covering any expenses for selling the DLC at a price, it's just a way to get MOAR money.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
mad825 said:
JediMB said:
mad825 said:
It's an entirely different campaign with its own story and environments (in Berlin, rather than the original campaign's Seattle)

Not really convincing and it's more of an assertion than I made. What really gets under my skin is that the DLC was publicly funded and paid. I understand selling the main game at a price but they won't be covering any expenses for selling the DLC at a price, it's just a way to get MOAR money.
So you're saying that people who didn't back the game during its crowdfunding process should get an extra campaign for free? Just because? Despite that it is basically a reward for the people who funded the game, who actually got to decide where said campaign would take place to begin with? And despite that, besides the writing, the entire extra campaign is being developed after the main game was released?

It's not like they're Valve, who can afford to give away additional content for free. They're a tiny indie studio who just released their first PC game, and only have two smartphone games on the side to make money from. They need that money if they're going to stay in business to keep on making Shadowrun Returns campaigns, if nothing else.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
Berlin? Oh boy, we'll finally be able to play the big guys game with the dragons!
Wait a minute...

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
Akalabeth said:
Why you should get it for free when people like myself RISKED our cash on the kickstarter?
You assume I didn't risk my cash on the kickstarter.
And my point was that it would earn them goodwill if they did, considering the situation with the patches and the linearity of dead mans switch.