Square's "VII" Countdown Site Is Not for FFVII

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Square's "VII" Countdown Site Is Not for FFVII

Talk about a buzzkill. Square-Enix's mysterious countdown which featured a prominent "VII" at one point has ended, and the game it revealed is most definitely not Final Fantasy VII.

If you're still dreaming of a PS3 remake of Final Fantasy VII, keep dreaming. Cloud fanboys and fangirls, delusional they sometimes can be, had last pinned their hopes on a mysterious countdown [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93567-Mystery-Countdown-Appears-On-Square-Enix-Website] on a Square-Enix teaser site which, at one point, had the giant roman numeral "VII" on its main page. Which obviously meant that Square was about to announce a PS3 remake, right? Right?

Wrong. The countdown has ended and the game has been revealed. It's not nearly as exciting as a Final Fantasy VII remake, or, in my opinion, is it as exciting as what I had been hoping for, an Ehrgeiz remake. It is, instead, this: Lord of Vermillion 2, a sequel to an arcade/collectible card game hybrid that's popular in Japan.

Lord of Vermillion 2 features Final Fantasy characters, but they're not even from VII. Instead, we get cameos from Final Fantasy IV in the form of Kain, Rydia, Edge and Golbez. Also appearing are characters from Romancing SaGa 2, and, interestingly, popular CCG Magic: The Gathering. Kinda of a weird East-meets-West flavor going on there, and possible indication that the game might actually be going domestic. It could happen - Square trademarked the name Lord of Arcana in the US some time ago, Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2009/08/06/lord-of-vermillion-ii-summons-final-fantasy-iv-magic-the-gathering-characters/] noted.

GamerLuck

Questionably Opinionated
Jul 13, 2009
Damm, that sucks... i was actually kinda hoping for that fabled FF VII remake... would have been a decent reason to start savin up for a PS3, and would take so long after announcement to come out i could take my time about it.. OH WELL

Everian

Apr 14, 2009
Been known it was for LoVII for a while, and it was also known to have MTG in from the 3day when a Card image was used in the flash.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Yeah, while I knew it was for Lord of Vermillion 2, I wanted to know if LoV II is popular in Japan. Does anyone know?

Because if it wasn't, the damned teaser site was pointless. Do SEGA's next! Theirs flashes pictures that look almost Dynasty Warriors-esque. Please god, let it be Skies of Arcadia 2...

Keane Ng said:
or, in my opinion, is it as exciting as what I had been hoping for, an Ehrgeiz remake.
Oh lord, don't say that, my heart can't take it. That would be better than a Bouncer sequel.

LostNumber

Jul 17, 2009
I was really hoping for a new Crono game =( (made sense at the time, what with the time counting down)

Never thought i'd ever see Magic characters in a Square Enix game. Seems like an odd mix, but the last time I thought that about a game Square was making, the result was one of my favorite PS2 games, Kingdom Hearts.

Might keep an eye on this, even if I don't plan on getting it.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
an Ehrgeiz remake
I hate quoting memes and the like but: Do want.

Want very much so.

Instead, we get cameos from Final Fantasy IV in the form of Kain, Rydia, Edge and Golbez.
I can settle for this. I thoroughly enjoyed FFIV so cameos of them equals plus points in my book.

arcade/collectible card game hybrid
This however befuddles me. Can anyone explain the gameplay for me because I don't really understand it from that.

Closest thing I can think of to that was Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories but I don't think that's what it means...

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Amnestic said:
an Ehrgeiz remake

Want very much so.

Instead, we get cameos from Final Fantasy IV in the form of Kain, Rydia, Edge and Golbez.
I can settle for this. I thoroughly enjoyed FFIV so cameos of them equals plus points in my book.

This however befuddles me. Can anyone explain the gameplay for me because I don't really understand it from that.

Closest thing I can think of to that was Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories but I don't think that's what it means...
From what I can tell you go to the arcade and use your cards to scan into the machine, which summons characters in the game. At least, that's what I think it is.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
On the last day, when the site would flash a "II" I was hoping from the art style that we'd be getting a Vagrant Story II, alas I was mighty disappointed.

Crimsane

Apr 11, 2009
Balls. I wasn't even hoping for a FFVII remake, actually quite the opposite, but even that'd have been better than something I've never heard of which'll probably be Japan-only.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Crimsane said:
Balls. I wasn't even hoping for a FFVII remake, actually quite the opposite, but even that'd have been better than something I've never heard of which'll probably be Japan-only.
Article said:
Kinda of a weird East-meets-West flavor going on there, and possible indication that the game might actually be going domestic. It could happen - Square trademarked the name Lord of Arcana in the US some time ago, Siliconera noted.
Seems it could go either way at this point. More Japanese-only games coming to the West can only be a good thing in my opinion. We got Fire Emblem after soooo many years without it and it's one of the better SPRGs out there. Was quite a hit on the Gamecube and Wii as far as I know.

Camarilla

Jul 17, 2008
I must admit, I got excited when I saw Serra Angel, I thought they were making a full MtG game, because as fun as Duels of the Planeswalkers is, I'm itching for a new, full game. Alas, my hopes are dashed.

Xero Scythe

Aug 7, 2009
Amnestic said:
an Ehrgeiz remake

Want very much so.

maybe it means something like that old game where Baiten Kiatos where cards dictated a very FF-esque turn based battle.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I didn't know about it but that's quite lame, I really liked FFVII, then again I still have my copy from when I first played it.

Crimsane

Apr 11, 2009
Amnestic said:
Seems it could go either way at this point. More Japanese-only games coming to the West can only be a good thing in my opinion. We got Fire Emblem after soooo many years without it and it's one of the better SPRGs out there. Was quite a hit on the Gamecube and Wii as far as I know.
I agree that it's good to have more games coming our way from our friends in Japan, I'm just saying... I'd have faith in the odds of this seeing the light of day here if this were Atlas, but it's Squeenix, so I'm not holding my breath.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Wait, they're bringing back the sassy, arrogant Edge?

Square, you have regained my hope. Congratulations; don't fuck it up.