Pure Pwnage Graduates To Broadcast TV

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Pure Pwnage Graduates To Broadcast TV

Pure Pwnage, the popular web series about fictional "pro" gamers, has graduated from the internet to become a full-fledged broadcast TV series, due to start airing in Canada next year.

Pure Pwnage, the (once?) popular web series that gave gamers the gift of such catchphrases as "BOOM! Headshot!" and nuggets of wisdom like "Everybody knows you run faster with a knife" has made the leap from newfangled internet television into oldfangled broadcast television, where it will become a full-on broadcast TV series that will start airing in its home country of Canada next year.

The series, which will air in 30 minute episodes like any other sitcom, will track the life, mocumentary style, of Jeremy, the star of the web series and a person Giant Realm media is calling a "26 year old gamer version of Larry David." They also compare the show's appeal to hip comedies like Curb Your Enthusiasm and Flight of the Conchords. I like Pure Pwnage, but, err, I don't really see the parallels there.

The premise of the show is that Jeremy has been forced by his mom to get a job, but, being the numbskull gamer that he is, has a hard time taking his internet/gamer logic and adapting it to the real world. The series will find him trying to find work as a rock star, videogame tutor and grocery store employee.

"We've enjoyed amazing success on the Internet, supported in part by our advertising partnership with Giant Realm," said Jarett Cale, who plays Jeremy. "We're grateful to Showcase for giving us the opportunity to take Pure Pwnage to the next level and are very excited to bring our popular characters to the TV platform."

Hopefully those characters include FPS Doug [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j02tCXVpjws], the FPS obsessed Counter-Strike playing maniac whose brief appearances were easily the highlights of the series.

Pure Pwnage will air on Showcase in 2010.

DiamondJim

Sep 27, 2008
I guess I will say... interesting.

Could be hilarious, or a disaster.

Either way, I'm not in Canada, so meh for me.

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
huh,web seies goes the way of the tv,good for them,maybe youtubes dawsons next.if not,ah well,goodbye^^

LordCraigus

May 21, 2008
Really great news for them and I hope they do well... but personally, I feel the height of it's popularity has already passed. I mean, when I first actually watched the series FPS Doug and the like were already well played-out jokes and, while I haven't watched the second series, I certainly haven't heard as much buzz about it either.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
I'm glad they can still move ahead after the death of Troy Dixon (R.I.P.) and wish them success. can this go far on television? We'll have to see.

Pielikey

Jul 31, 2009
Never watched the series. I've heard of it, never watched it though. It looks like something I would watch if I was in Canada.

I'm still keeping my hopes up for a Zero Punctuation sitcom.

Triple G

Sep 12, 2008
Stop ripping on purepwnage it's way better than most internet shoes, and if goes on tv it's gonna be even better.

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
Triple G said:
Stop ripping on purepwnage it's way better than most internet shoes, and if goes on tv it's gonna be even better.
T.v Shoes?! What is this magical invention you speak of?!Sorry, had to.

Anyway...I've never been too much of a Pure Pwnage fan myself. It's not bad but not great.

LilGherkin

Aug 15, 2008
Never seen it before, and I won't start unless it hits American airwaves too.

Hope they do well atleast.

wasalp

Dec 22, 2008
GodsOneMistake said:
I am both shocked and amazed by this news... I had no idea that they had T.V's in Canada
RACIST, we also brought you guys kenny vs spenny

Zand88

Jan 21, 2009
Well, when you graduate after 5 years, you know there must be something wrong.

Jon Etheridge

Appsro Animation
Apr 28, 2009
Hmmm. I've never even heard of this. Sounds like I have some catching up to do. That's awesome they were able to go from a web series to a TV show.

Epifols

Aug 30, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
I'm glad they can still move ahead after the death of Troy Dixon (R.I.P.) and wish them success. can this go far on television? We'll have to see.
Move ahead? They haven't had a new episode since LAST AUGUST. Shit, when they started out they had one every 2 months.

I don't really care if they are on tv, I just want them to start making episodes again :/

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Epifols said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
Move ahead? They haven't had a new episode since LAST AUGUST. Shit, when they started out they had one every 2 months.

I don't really care if they are on tv, I just want them to start making episodes again :/
They pretty much have to make the decision of either work around Dixon not being in there, ignore him completely, or start fresh from the beginning of the series. I want them too, but I can wait.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Well, a friend of mine had shown me the episode of FPS Doug in which he spouts his famous lines, and after that...I still didn't really care for it. I found that part hilarious but nothing else really struck me as "funny".

I hope it does well, but I'm almost 100% certain it will fail.

Nivag the Owl

Owl of Hyper-Intelligence
Oct 29, 2008
What the hell? That goes against everything they stand for! They said they were making a point by keeping it free and internet only :(

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
Well, I'll be damned. I'm very happy to hear about this. I've loved this show for the comic relief, and the way it advanced gamer culture (by making fun of every aspect of it).

If it does well on TV in Canada, which it actually might if they're not just reshowing the old episodes, here's hoping it appears on a certain Australian timeslot... say, on ABC2, straight after Good Game? Please God. That will be the best free TV lineup ever.

Nivag said:
What the hell? That goes against everything they stand for! They said they were making a point by keeping it free and internet only :(
Oh come on, think about what you're saying. This is PP we're talking about. They'll provide it on the Internet, or someone else will. And I doubt there'd ever be any accusations of piracy going around, since it's been a free show so far.

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
I wonder will they keep his character with a different actor or... respectfully leave him out of it this time round. While he was an enjoyable character, that way too long rap song needs to never be repeated. Ever. By anyone or anything.