PlayStation All-Stars Island Wears Endorsements On Its Sleeve

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
PlayStation All-Stars Island Wears Endorsements On Its Sleeve

Sony has unleashed a launch trailer for its mini-game-focused PlayStation All-Stars Island, and in case you somehow miss it, this game is brought to you by the Coca-Cola corporation.

PlayStation All-Stars Island is a semi-sequel to Sony's mascot fighter PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale. While that game drew middling affection from players, Sony is apparently dedicated to the idea of casting all of its (arguably) famous characters in a single game, and in that vein we have the mobile-exclusive PlayStation All-Stars Island. Unlike its predecessor, PlayStation All-Stars Island is a collection of mini-games themed around the game's various characters. It's also free, but to make that happen, Sony had to seek out corporate sponsorship.

This is why Coke Zero advertisements actually outnumber any single character in this newly-released launch trailer for PlayStation All-Stars Island.

Beyond the obnoxious advertising efforts though, this trailer doesn't look too appalling. The game has apparently lifted all of its major cues from popular mobile gaming tropes - Nathan Drake looks so comfortable with an endless runner that it's as if he just stepped out of Temple Run - while slathering the presentation in ideas familiar to fans of the series' from which the game's roster hails. Plus, as I mentioned above, PlayStation All-Stars Island is available for free download, so it's hard to look into this gift horse's mouth for too long.

If you're interested in trying PlayStation All-Stars Island for yourself, just pay a vist to either the Android mobile store or Apple's App Store, and download the title. It should be easy to find with a simple search for "PlayStation." Then, leave your thoughts in the comments below. Particularly if they're witty. We don't mind if you want to trash this title, but at least be entertaining about it.

Source: YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLDIENGWPKg]

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
Aw no preview on the Cole mini game? I at least wanted to see what that one was

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Is there really a Coke Zero bottle always at the top-right of the screen? I understand the billboards and name/title screen sponsorship, but a constant, always-visible reminder of product placement is just annoying.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Not sure if related to the story

But when I was playing Uncharted on my vita, my sister asked me if I was playing TempleRun

..and holy shit, I can't blame her for thinking that. Especially since its going to be on Smart phones.

--

Just my thought after reading this news.

Jmp_man

Apr 24, 2011
V8 Ninja said:
Is there really a Coke Zero bottle always at the top-right of the screen? I understand the billboards and name/title screen sponsorship, but a constant, always-visible reminder of product placement is just annoying.
I think it might be integrated into the game-play somehow. The best part where you can see an example of this is 00:34 but you can also see a slight example at 00:24. Unfortunately I think it will be stay there throughout the various "Games".

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
"Hyuk hyuk hyuk... Nintendo! Hey Nintendo. You guy should totally go third party. Yeah, release some smartphone apps or something *snigger snigger* Yeah, that would like totally make you a bunch of money. Smartphone apps are hot right now, so why don't you just go third party and make Mario Bros a smartpho- wait! Wait, Sony what are you doing? Not you, Sony, not you! Stop Sony! STOP! STAHP SONY STAHP!!!!!!!"
QFT.

Everyone saying that Nintendo should go third-party should be willing to face up to all the manufacturers doing the same, and inevitably getting more of this.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
"Hyuk hyuk hyuk... Nintendo! Hey Nintendo. You guy should totally go third party. Yeah, release some smartphone apps or something *snigger snigger* Yeah, that would like totally make you a bunch of money. Smartphone apps are hot right now, so why don't you just go third party and make Mario Bros a smartpho- wait! Wait, Sony what are you doing? Not you, Sony, not you! Stop Sony! STOP! STAHP SONY STAHP!!!!!!!"
I actually laughed. Well done.

VonKlaw

Jan 30, 2012
Deshara said:
I always enjoyed watching a supposedly classy lady degrade and humiliate herself by trying to fit as many dicks in her mouth as she can just to get as much prostitution money at once as she can.
PICS OR GTFO.

OT: I really can't say I care about this sort of shameless corporate whoring, since its so obvious you'd have to be a total moron not to realise it's paid advertising. I just feel kind of sorry for Coke - it just comes across as such a desperate attempt to appear cool.

Norithics

Jul 4, 2013
V8 Ninja said:
Just wait until you see the XBox One controller shaped like a Taco Bell nachos bell grande!

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Well, I heard someone say that PSASBR was more of a promotional game in the first place(inclusion of Metal Gear Rising Raiden and New Dante as examples) so this game's existence is not that surprising.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Unfortunately this still won't shut that crowd up, but hilarious nonetheless.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Eh, their basically paying for the game so can't exactly complain about advertising their products. I doubt it'd interest me but I'll check it out.

Nosirrah

Apr 16, 2013
V8 Ninja said:
looks like it, in drake's part he picks up a power up and the bottle is filled slightly.

Does coca-cola really need to be advertised? i'm pretty sure it's as popular as oxygen. hell, they came up with santa claus so christmas itself is technically an ad too.