Xbox One Will Launch In Just 13 Countries

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Xbox One Will Launch In Just 13 Countries

Microsoft has reduced the number of Xbox One launch markets from 21 countries to just 13.

When Microsoft said that the Xbox One would be available in just 21 countries [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124942-Xbox-One-Limited-To-21-Countries-At-Launch] at launch, it seemed like an awful lot of the planet was being left out of the loop. Today, however, Microsoft announced that number will be even smaller.

"Our priority is ensuring our customers get the best Xbox One experience the first day it is available," the "Xbox Leadership Team" revealed today. "To do that, and in order to meet demand, we have adjusted the number of markets that will receive Xbox One in November to 13 markets, including Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, Spain, United Kingdom, United States and New Zealand."

"We remain committed to launching Xbox One in Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Netherlands, Norway, Russia, Sweden, Switzerland, as soon as possible in 2014," it added.

The original reason for the limited launch coverage was the system's reliance on game activation and a daily check-in with Xbox Live, which could lead one to wonder why, with most of that always-on DRM stripped out, the number of release-day markets is being shrunk, not expanded.

"While we wish we could launch Xbox One simultaneously in these markets, there are many factors that determine the timing of specific market launches. This includes work to localize the Xbox One dash, incorporate additional voice and languages, and build partnerships to bring apps and meaningful local content to each country," the team explained. "We understand this will be disappointing news for our fans in the impacted countries, and we are doing everything we can to bring Xbox One to you as soon as possible next year."

This show just does not end.

Source: Xbox Wire [http://news.xbox.com/2013/08/xbox-one-confirmed-markets]

Morsomk_v1legacy

RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA
Jan 30, 2013
Huh....didn't anyone teach Microsoft that once you have had bad press once, that you should try to fix that one and make sure you don't get any more? Cause it's really starting to look like that Microsoft just fails at not making bad news out of the X-box One. Like seriously, I don't think we've gotten any good news out of the damn thing, or my memory is a dat bit dull when it comes to the X-box One.

SeventhSigil

Jun 24, 2013
Ironically, there have been rumors floating about that the issue is primarily related to the integration of voice and languages above all else. More specifically, that the markets being left out of are because they don't think they can integrate proper voice controls in time for the excluded countries. Whether or not this is the case is anyone's guess.

I also wonder whether maybe it is because of the recent inclusion of a headset in every box. While it's a minor change, it probably has increased the quantity of headset units they're going to have to produce by launch astronomically, and depending on what manufacturing resources they have to Meet the demand, they might be squeezing to meet quota in the 13 remaining launch Countries.

What I find particularly interesting is that Mexico is included in the list of remaining countries. Last time I heard, after currency conversion, the Xbox One was a full $200 more expensive than the PS4. Now, this could have been a rumor or changed since, but if not, either they're expecting the sales to be successful nonetheless, or they have different criteria for selecting which countries remained. Or, as said, could indeed be an issue with voice integration.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
No Japan? One of the biggest game markets in the world?even if MS has historically done poorly there?and they're not going to launch there. This will prove to be a mistake when a lot of Japanese games end up being PS4 exclusives.

P.S. Thanks

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
Covarr said:
No Japan? One of the biggest game markets in the world?even if MS has historically done poorly there?and they're not going to launch there. This will prove to be a mistake when a lot of Japanese games end up being PS4 exclusives.

P.S. Thanks
Didn't they already say they kind of know the xbone was gonna be DOA in japan anyway?

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
In the grand scheme of things from the consumer perspective this really isn't going to be that big a deal, but competitive-wise it's really going to put MS behind Sony in the global market.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
I'm just going to go with the mantra, "One step forward, two steps back."

Microsoft has always been a company that follows grand ideas and decent innovation, but always manages to F it up somehow. I really hope they do well but they just keep shooting themselves in the foot.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Great start for the "next generation" in my country.
PS4 is getting such limited supplies even people who pre-ordered cannot get guaranteed to get a console before Xmas, and the Xbone is putting up the big middle finger to NL completely.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Darth Sea Bass said:
Covarr said:

P.S. Thanks
Didn't they already say they kind of know the xbone was gonna be DOA in japan anyway?
This isn't about succeeding in Japan. It's about getting games from Japanese developers, even if only to sell in North America and Europe.. This won't be an issue for the bigger companies like Capcom and Konami that have reasonably large western studios and offices, but many companies may find that the lack of Japanese retail units make testing?and depending on SDK availability, even development?difficult-to-impossible without leaving the country or importing (assuming region locks will even allow for such a thing).

By possibly screwing over developers, they may be screwing over their library.

P.S. Thanks

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
You know what, I can't even get mad at them anymore, this shit is just too funny XD

I don't think I've seen such a bungled, mishandled and spectacularly stupid launch of a piece of tech in a long time. This is PS3 launch levels of shittiness.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
SeventhSigil said:
What I find particularly interesting is that Mexico is included in the list of remaining countries. Last time I heard, after currency conversion, the Xbox One was a full $200 more expensive than the PS4. Now, this could have been a rumor or changed since, but if not, either they're expecting the sales to be successful nonetheless, or they have different criteria for selecting which countries remained. Or, as said, could indeed be an issue with voice integration.
Ok, I'll bite. Why does it surprise you that much? Of the console gamers I know here, most people have an XBox 360, not a PS3, and almost every major mall has one or two console games shop. Blockbuster is still alive in this country in no small part thanks to their console/game rent and sale division. Mexico is the biggest Spanish speaking market, and I can bet they already have localization in this language. Microsoft environments (Windows, Xbox, growing Windows Phone) have greater acceptance and penetration than other regions. Close geographical location to the US reduces shipment, I guess, plus international trade agreements with Mexico allow for more efficient and maybe cheaper export. Cost wise, console gamers tend to be in an income bracket that can allow themselves to buy a new console. The market that couldn't probably doesn't even know the thing exists, so the price isn't even a concern. It could be 300 dollars cheaper than a pS4 and it would still be out of their league. I bet there are even more reasons I don't know, but I think that's why Mexico is in the short list.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
Yet another reason why I'll likely pick up a PS4 on launch (or close)... and never bother with the Xbone

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Hazy992 said:
You know what, I can't even get mad at them anymore, this shit is just too funny XD

I don't think I've seen such a bungled, mishandled and spectacularly stupid launch of a piece of tech in a long time. This is PS3 launch levels of shittiness.
I think they passed PS3 launch stupidity long ago. We're delving into the realm of Sega Saturn stupidity here.

OT: ...one step forward, and another 20 steps back. MS must be afraid of money with how everything this console has been about and touted has either been reversed, proven wrong, or turned out to be terrible.
Seriously though, this is the funniest thing ever really.

hooblabla6262

Aug 8, 2008
Loki_The_Good said:
As a member of an affected country I am deeply offended by this policy. How come Norway doesn't have to deal with this piece of junk and we do. I demand no Xbox release for Canada. We should all be treated equal.
As a member of the Coalition of Canada, I support the above statement.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
"While we wish we could launch Xbox One simultaneously in these markets, there are many factors that determine the timing of specific market launches.
These factors apparently have no effect on the launch of the PS4, which is launching pretty much everywhere at the same time.

This includes work to localize the Xbox One dash, incorporate additional voice and languages
Did they not think they needed to translate the dashboard when they first announced where it was launching? Again, the PS4 is managing to do it.

and build partnerships to bring apps and meaningful local content to each country,"
Oh, it's because of TV and Skype. The two most important features of the Xbone now that Kinect isn't mandatory.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
I think too few realized, perhaps even Microsoft themselves, the trouble with a voice activated system. Most English speaking people think nothing of programing system to respond to "Xbox on". It's not that easy unfortunately. Take into account the range of how voices differ, accents, etc. Now take upon that add in the myriad languages in those countries they are ignoring, temporarily skipping. I have tried using the Speech Recognition system on my computer, and it's not pretty. I can only imagine the amount of time and effort it will take to make it even close to 100% right out of the box. The Kinect is what they're toting as their edge might be a liability for sales in more ways than one. I seriously doubt it's the addition of the headset that's caused the delay. Who knows? It might just be overall limited production due to the cost per system. Mayhaps it's even just that they're only worried about hitting markets they know have Xbox 360 high sales. It's impossible to tell what's really going on with such a company. They're not going to out right and say the truth if it was anything close to what we've theorized. That would be bad for business. Always put nice front, smile, and say everything is fine even if things are on fire and being covered in monkey poo.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
I as half hoping one of the countries taken off the list was the US.... That would have been funny.