Payday 2 Devs Hope For A Year Of DLC, Female Criminals

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Payday 2 Devs Hope For A Year Of DLC, Female Criminals

Hopefully you're enjoying the newly-released Payday 2, as developer Overkill Software plans to roll out new content for the next year.

Payday 2 is a game centering on theft, specifically the planning and execution of a high-profile heist. That would be a neat premise for a singleplayer title, but the key draw for Payday 2 is that your squad of would-be criminals consists entirely of other players joining you online. If that sounds like a recipe for the caper to go horribly off the rails, well, yes, it's exactly that, but even when one of your crew botches his or her role, the ensuing suicidal firefight with the police is generally pretty entertaining.

Doubly so if you spend the entire match quoting Point Break.

Point being: Payday 2 is a pretty solid game, which is good news because the development team at Overkill Software is planning a full year of DLC releases for the title, and there's also talk of adding a female character to the otherwise male-dominated world of virtual theft.

In a recent interview with OXM, Payday 2 director David Goldfarb outlined the company's DLC plans, as well as his own hopes for a new breed of distaff criminal.

"There's like a year of DLC planned; One of the first things I have on my list, is to make sure we get a female character," Goldfarb states.

"I'm hoping - I don't know if we'll get it as our first DLC, because we'd have to redo all the animations so it doesn't look like a dude walking around with a female body," he adds. "But I'd like to do that."

Why add a female character to a game that centers on activities macho enough to spawn Michael Mann's film career? Beyond the obvious positives of blanket gender diversity, Goldfarb is a father who would one day like to see his daughters enjoy the game on the same level as their male peers.

"Because I want, like I said, I want my daughters to be able to - no, I'd need to wait a bit for that - but in theory, it'd be cool for them to mask up. I just think it'd be cool if we had both, that's all. It's definitely on our list. One of the many things that are on our list."

There's currently no release window for any of the upcoming Payday 2 DLC, but with the game's apparent retail success we expect more information to emerge very soon. Stay tuned.

Source: OXM [http://www.oxm.co.uk/60361/payday-2-dlc-full-year-of-updates-planned-could-include-female-characters/]

MrPeanut

Jun 18, 2011
Earnest Cavalli said:
There's currently no release window for any of the upcoming Payday 2 DLC, but with the game's apparent retail success we expect more information to emerge very soon. Stay tuned.
Actually they confirmed the first DLC, Armored Transport, is in development already.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
On one hand, I loathe the fact that I'll prolly have to pay for the privillege of playing as a female character.
Also that there'll probably be only -one- meaning that there will either be redundant characters in multiplyer, or just one female character players have to fight over (My SO, and I enjoy being our own genders) creating friction as someone has to play someone they don't want to be. That's unless the character and the jobs they do are separate.

On the other hand, I sincerely, and thoroughly appreciate the sentiments of
Why add a female character to a game that centers on activities macho enough to spawn Michael Mann's film career? Beyond the obvious positives of blanket gender diversity, Goldfarb is a father who would one day like to see his daughters enjoy the game on the same level as their male peers.

"Because I want, like I said, I want my daughters to be able to - no, I'd need to wait a bit for that - but in theory, it'd be cool for them to mask up. I just think it'd be cool if we had both, that's all. It's definitely on our list. One of the many things that are on our list."
and I really wish more gaming companies would think like that. It makes me happy, and certainly creates enough good will to have me likely overlook the bits I loathe.

That said, when the DLC comes out with the female character(s), odds are pretty good I'll get my own copy of Payday 2, and let others know they now have a gender option.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
MrPeanut said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
Actually they confirmed the first DLC, Armored Transport, is in development already.
Yeah, but the first AFTER THAT is still unknown.
Personally, the female heister would be a must buy for me.

Rebel_Raven said:
That's unless the character and the jobs they do are separate.
They are. Currently, you got skills, loadout and character as three indiependent things. You can choose your skills once you got the points and cash for them, loadout when a heists starts and character is semi-random selected (you can choose your favorite and if he's available, you get that character. If not, you get one of the others). So, it is indeed possible to be a Ghost and play as Chains in one match and then be Wolf instead in the next mission (if it's a different lobby) and still be the same Ghost as before.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Bindal said:
Rebel_Raven said:
They are. Currently, you got skills, loadout and character as three indiependent things. You can choose your skills once you got the points and cash for them, loadout when a heists starts and character is semi-random selected (you can choose your favorite and if he's available, you get that character. If not, you get one of the others). So, it is indeed possible to be a Ghost and play as Chains in one match and then be Wolf instead in the next mission (if it's a different lobby) and still be the same Ghost as before.
So if 2 people pick the same female character (I'm assuming there's only one coming in the DLC) as favorites, then only one person plays as her while the other has to be another character?

Other than that, the loadout, and skills remain the same?

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Rebel_Raven said:
Bindal said:
Rebel_Raven said:
So if 2 people pick the same female character (I'm assuming there's only one coming in the DLC) as favorites, then only one person plays as her while the other has to be another character?

Exactly. And your mask (unless you picked 'default') will also be indiependent from that character.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Bindal said:
Rebel_Raven said:
Bindal said:
Rebel_Raven said:

Exactly. And your mask (unless you picked 'default') will also be indiependent from that character.
Yikes. I really hope they add like 4 female characters then. At least 2, bare minimum. Having to fight over one character will cause some unwanted friction between people that want to play as a female character, IMO.

I mean, it's still really great they're adding women to the mix, but I can see it causing problems if it's a heavily contested character, and between me, and my significant other, she will be. If there's 2 female characters, then that'll give enough wiggle room.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Rebel_Raven said:
Yikes. I really hope they add like 4 female characters then. At least 2, bare minimum. Having to fight over one character will cause some unwanted friction between people that want to play as a female character, IMO.

I mean, it's still really great they're adding women to the mix, but I can see it causing problems if it's a heavily contested character, and between me, and my significant other, she will be. If there's 2 female characters, then that'll give enough wiggle room.
Shouldn't be too hard. The current crew uses the same body-model anyway and just swaps the texture on it and the head and mask. Once they got one female character, the work for a second one would be to create a new default mask, head and get a voice-actress (as the body and animations could be recycled with a new suit color)
But I wouldn't say 'add two ladies' right away if you don't even know the current crew of four. Those guys already have their own charm, even it is kinda minimalistic in what they say on their own.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Bindal said:
Rebel_Raven said:

Shouldn't be too hard. The current crew uses the same body-model anyway and just swaps the texture on it and the head and mask. Once they got one female character, the work for a second one would be to create a new default mask, head and get a voice-actress (as the body and animations could be recycled with a new suit color)
But I wouldn't say 'add two ladies' right away if you don't even know the current crew of four. Those guys already have their own charm, even it is kinda minimalistic in what they say on their own.
Oh, trust me, I seriously doubt I'll appreciate the 4 guys as much a I'd like to. I'm not a fan of playing as a guy when I don't have to. Resident Evil 5 made that clear enough to me both in SP, and Co-op. Doesn't mean I won't play, but my morale'll be lower when I can't be the character I want.

It might be a bit low of me to say it, but if I had a daughter, and wanted her to play my game as her own gender, I'd give some insurance that she won't be forced to play as a guy 9 times out of 10 thanks to other people calling dibs first. It's not much fun watching people play as the character you wanted to play.

I don't think I'd complain too much regardless of how they ensured that at least 2 people can play as a woman. I'd be more grateful than not, and that's for certain.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
rhizhim said:
so why didnt they include at least one when they released the game?
and, like others said, they could include more than one to the mix.
Probably the same reason they didn't add safe house customization at launch, they hit their deadline and had to release.

And if what he says is true about new animations and such, I doubt very much they'd blow all the man hours to achieve that on a single character, they'll want to milk it for at least two or three.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Definitely looking forward to the future updates for this game; it's fucking excellent and the developers seem to have a great attitude. A lot of people are getting cross with them for 'lying' etc. but they have said that they're going to add more of the stuff they previously spoke about (FOR FREE! Patches, remember them?) and they seem to be treating the game very well in general. It's going to be good I think.
Hopefully they'll do the female character(s) well and they won't just be a token gesture. That'd be worse than having no female characters at all frankly, if they had a shitty one-dimensional design. Take your time Overkill. Do me proud.

On an aside, bring back Old Hoxton? Please?