Glowing Bunnies Born in Turkey

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
Glowing Bunnies Born in Turkey

Forget psychedelic posters. The latest accessory for black light lovers is finally here: the bunny rabbit.

A litter of bunnies were born at the University of Istanbul in Turkey earlier this month. All were given a clean bill of health, despite the fact that two of them glowed a bright green when placed under ultraviolet light. The pair of fluorescent fur-babies had been injected with a gene for a jellyfish protein in a process called transgenesis.

Bunnies aren't the first animals to go green. Cats that were genetically-engineered to carry a protein that defends against feline immunodeficiency virus, the cat version of HIV, were also injected with the jellyfish gene as a physical indicator of the cat's immunity. If the cat glowed green under ultraviolet light, it was FIV-resistant and totally far-out, man.

Glowing bunnies are cute and all, but it still begs the question: what's the point? Jellyfish genes give scientists a simple indicator that a gene was successfully transferred into a new animal. The ultimate goal is to use the process to insert genes into livestock for use in medications. "Animals can make valuable proteins in their milk that humans use for medicine, and you can extract the proteins quite easily," Stefan Moisyadi, an associate professor at the University of Hawaii Manoa, said. "It would make certain pharmaceutical production extremely cost-effective."

Source: Discovery [http://news.discovery.com/animals/pets/glowing-bunny-born-in-turkey-130813.htm]

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I suspect these will miniature dogs and become the new "in" pet for celebrities. Then everybody will want one to mimic them, eventually leading to problems with people taking them to nightclubs and causing all sorts of havoc.

It does look kind of cute though, as well as a little eerie.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
Fairly sure there are various Birds of Prey that can see on the ultraviolet scale. Kesteral, for example.

SadisticFire

Oct 1, 2012
Is this really news? Not to discredit the writer, but stuff like this has been happening for quite some time. We've done it with Kittens, mice, some other rodents, and now rabbits. I guess the difference might be they will live longer than the two-three days the kittens did. Um. I need something to counteract sounding like a *****...
Genetics! Yeah!
Though I did read it as "Glowing bunnies born out of a turkey" which would've been pretty damn interesting. Bunnies that glew, birthed from a turkey.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
Seems latelty every lab with a PCR unit is tripping over themselves to make their big mark on the world by having their own fluorescent critter. And you know what? I dig it. A lab is not a church, you can have a ball every now and then dammit.

The question now is, what's it gonna take to one-up all the other labs at this point? Say, didn't someone recently isolate a decent wooly mammoth DNA sample or something? Hmmmmmm...

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
I guess the Blood Dragon Style of future is getting closer.

Now, if only they can make glowing venomous snakes...

Rip Van Rabbit

~ UNLIMITED RULEBOOK ~
Apr 17, 2012
*SQUUUEEEEEE!!!*

So adorable, imagine the widdle glowing wiggling nosies - ... :'D

Once they learn to emit waves of radiation, make them a main enemy in the next Fallout.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Ahh my fellow countrymen. Bringing in the rave even to the darkest of the campus corners. Well done everyone!

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
You don't need a point when you have glow-in-the-dark bunnies. They are an end unto themselves.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I want glow in the dark bunnies and kitties. They would be friends and have tea parties.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Infernai said:
Now, if only they can make glowing venomous snakes...
There are already glowing scorpions, not quite the same but at least it's a start. But given that you would have to be carrying around a UV light source it wouldn't help much anyway.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
ZZoMBiE13 said:
One more glorious step toward bio-luminescent tattoos. Wahey!!
Why isn't that possible now? Extra jellyfish stuff (??), mix with tattoo ink, start the needle and make the art. Bam! You have a tattoo that people are "jelly' of!

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Deathfish15 said:
ZZoMBiE13 said:
One more glorious step toward bio-luminescent tattoos. Wahey!!
Why isn't that possible now? Extra jellyfish stuff (??), mix with tattoo ink, start the needle and make the art. Bam! You have a tattoo that people are "jelly' of!
My guess is that the last thing the world needs is glow in the dark tramp stamps.