Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Arrives Next Month

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Arrives Next Month

Get ready to squeal like a piggie in September.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure if this qualifies as good news or not. On the one hand, Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs launches on September 10. But on the other hand, Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs launches on September 10. You can see the problem.

You can see the problem, right? Amnesia: The Dark Descent was a monstrously awful experience, certainly not "fun" by any sane definition, and when it was finally over I was just glad to have made it to the end without actually dying. But I couldn't stop playing. I'd think to myself, "Oh no, please, I don't want to look down this hall, I want to stay here huddled up in this corner forever," but eventually I'd slowly creep over and crane my head around trying to see what was behind my monitor and there'd be nothing there, which was even worse than something - And on and on we'd go.

And now the follow-up - not a direct sequel, but the same sort of horrific shenanigans, this time cooked up by Dear Esther studio The Chinese Room - is just about here, and I can't help thinking that I really don't need this crap. I don't need to inflict this kind of psychological torture on myself. I have plenty of games that are fun - Fun! - and I really, really do not need, or want, to suffer through this one.

But I will. Oh, I will.

Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs will sell for $19.99 but is available for preorder at a 20 percent discount (making it $15.99) at Steam [http://www.gog.com/game/amnesia_a_machine_for_pigs]. Good luck.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Damn another game I'll install and will just sit there on my hard drive taunting me. "oh you're not man enough to play me, come on play me. What no don't keep the lights on you know you want to turn them off, just play me.."

No I will not play you sadistic and twisted executable!

Ryan Hughes

Jul 10, 2012
Haha, yeah. I played the first game while convalescing from knee surgery, so it really fed into my own feelings of helplessness and pain. I cannot believe I actually found the backbone to finish the game. Still, I think this follow-up looks really good, if a bit less subtle than the first. I am looking forward to it.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
I only watched my friend play part of Dark Descent and it freaked me out. It's been on my computer for a year now, but I'm to afraid to touch it.I'd give these guys money for making another great horror game but I'm too afraid to. That's an odd thing to read.

One thing I never understood about the sequel: what the heck is a 'Machine for Pigs?' I mean, I know playing it we'll find out, but 'The Dark Descent' at least made sense at a glance.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Arnoxthe1 said:
Why "A Machine For Pigs"? It sounds really silly.
It's believed to be about the meatpacking industry with reference to Upton Sinclaire's The Jungle, which featured some very disturbing imagery about pigs on the er...assembly line.

TiberiusEsuriens said:
One thing I never understood about the sequel: what the heck is a 'Machine for Pigs?' I mean, I know playing it we'll find out, but 'The Dark Descent' at least made sense at a glance.
Yeah the 'Dark Descent' part took some nice twists when you realize it had a double meaning.

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
synobal said:
Damn another game I'll install and will just sit there on my hard drive taunting me. "oh you're not man enough to play me, come on play me. What no don't keep the lights on you know you want to turn them off, just play me.."

No I will not play you sadistic and twisted executable!
Exactly. I have Amnesia the Dark Descent just sitting on my computer, that yellow eye just staring at me from my desktop. I didn't buy it on purpose, I got it from a humble indie bundle...and I haven't gotten much farther than getting the lantern...*sigh* I am such a weenie.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Screamarie said:
Exactly. I have Amnesia the Dark Descent just sitting on my computer, that yellow eye just staring at me from my desktop. I didn't buy it on purpose, I got it from a humble indie bundle...and I haven't gotten much farther than getting the lantern...*sigh* I am such a weenie.
It gets worse. Oh, it's gets so much worse.

Ratties

May 8, 2013
I didn't like Amnesia at all. All I did was sprint through it. My only heart pounding moment in the game was when the water monster was chasing you. I don't mind not being able to fight back. At the heart of it, Amnesia played like any other Survival Horror game. Man does that formula not work when you can't defend yourself.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
TiberiusEsuriens said:
I only watched my friend play part of Dark Descent and it freaked me out. It's been on my computer for a year now, but I'm to afraid to touch it.I'd give these guys money for making another great horror game but I'm too afraid to. That's an odd thing to read.

I actually like the title of this game a lot more. "The dark descent" sounds like a standard game title, "a machine for pigs" is mysterious and can be interpreted in many ways.

prpshrt

Jun 18, 2012
Too bad I'm too much of a coward to play :(. I played the first one for like 5 minutes and stopped. For some reason, I really like knowing the storyline of horror games and movies but can never bring myself to play a horror game or watch a horror movie.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
I'm hoping they can make it better... when you realize it's a much better option to run than hide because of the stupid sanity system making you a cripple, everything's much less scary, especially since you can outrun everything (it'd be stupid if you couldn't I guess).

And I still think A Machine for Pigs is an awful title.

I enjoyed the puzzles and story of Dark Descent, though. More of that, please.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Screamarie said:
No! It gets better! It basically becomes a haunted mansion thrill-ride and everything looks like a cardboard cut-out![footnote]You must lure them into the darkness, Andy. You must...[/footnote]

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013
I freaking LOVED Dark Descent. EVERYTHING I could possibly want in a horror game that one had. Scared me shitless, and I haven't had a game since Silent Hill 2 be on the same level of creepy.

I never was able to beat the Justine thing though... some of those puzzles got really odd.

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Screamarie said:
Oh I know. I've watched it on youtube at least three times. I can watch it all day...playing it is a whole 'nother story...I don't want to meet the mean evil ghostie who splashes in the water. ;_;

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
Has anyone noticed that Machine for Pigs is being released the same day as the Kingdom Hearts HD remaster? Just saying.

Anyways, I might be picking up this one. Once my new gaming PC is built, it shall be baptized with this game.