Payday 2 More Popular Than Retailers Planned, Causing Shortages

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Payday 2 More Popular Than Retailers Planned, Causing Shortages

Publisher 505 Games has responded to the lack of availability of Payday 2 on Xbox 360 and PS3.

Payday 2 launched in North America [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126799-Payday-2-Launches-With-Balletic-Violence-Trailer] last week, but if you're hoping to pick up a physical copy on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, you might be out of luck. Shortages of the team-based first-person shooter have been reported to publisher 505 Games, which is working to get more copies on store shelves. So why is Payday 2 so hard to get? It's just more popular than expected, according to its publisher.

In response to a fan wondering why he couldn't find a copy of the game, the 505 Games Twitter account the publisher's Facebook page [https://twitter.com/505_Games/status/369279690256568320].

PC gamers can just download Payday 2 if they so desire, and it should also be available on the PlayStation Network. According to 505 Games' Twitter, it will be on Xbox Live's Games on Demand on August 23, so if you can't find a retail copy this week, that might be your best bet.

Source: 505 Games [https://www.facebook.com/505Games/posts/10151690438594681]

Bindal

May 14, 2012
FogHornG36 said:
Funny, steam seemed to have plenty of copes...
They have keys and digital download only. The 360 version is retail only (also the first game wasn't for 360), so they can easily underestimate the amount of people, who want to buy the game on 360 and hence produced less copies.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Is there a way to get a copy for PC that isn't tied to steam? I don't want to deal with 3rd party software.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
The best news you can get as a developer.

"Sorry guys we can't sell your game anymore. We ran out of stock could you get us some more keys."

I bet champagne was flowing all night at the dev office.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Nurb said:
Is there a way to get a copy for PC that isn't tied to steam? I don't want to deal with 3rd party software.
No, and good luck trying out any new PC games in the next 50 years.

The first Payday sort of slipped past me, I got one look at the screens and I was already fed up by what looked like L¤D with cops and robbers and cheap production value. But then came the 2nd one, and it's a blast to play. Especially since it's quite hard at times. I remember our first heist, we didn't have a clue what to do, and clumsily entered some store shaking and sort of going "this is a robbery".

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Ultratwinkie said:
Nurb said:
You'd be dealing with crime.net anyway. The game is always online because single player doesn't actually work.

Payday 2 is always online. That's how it is. steam there or not changes nothing.
I didn't say anything about crime.net, I just didn't want to have to hassle with a steam account
NLS said:
Nurb said:
No, and good luck trying out any new PC games in the next 50 years.

The first Payday sort of slipped past me, I got one look at the screens and I was already fed up by what looked like L¤D with cops and robbers and cheap production value. But then came the 2nd one, and it's a blast to play. Especially since it's quite hard at times. I remember our first heist, we didn't have a clue what to do, and clumsily entered some store shaking and sort of going "this is a robbery".
If the future is having to deal with some account from 3-5 different companies like the GTA 4 nightmare just to play a damn game, that's when I stop paying for them.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Played the Beta and it seems pretty great. It deserves the sales.
Just wish I had some friends to play it with, I might actually buy it then.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
So this is a reverse Tomb Raider then?

Guys guys everyone's buying our game!

Whaaaa??!!

Payday wasn't a gigantic success so it's easy to understand, but it's still nice to see a publisher has under estimated what they're going to sell for once.

Sep 14, 2009
Nurb said:
i'll say good luck, because as far as i know it and many games are tied to steam and steam alone, if not then it's probably an old game on GoG.

OT: I have the first game (on a whim in a steam sale) and fucking loved it, i'll have to talk some friends into getting this game, it looked like a great improvement on the already awesome first game.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
Ah I'm so glad this game is getting publicity. It is SO fun with friends. If anyone wants to get it and play with me, add up my Steam, it's on my profile. I play it religiously, at least until school starts, it's GREAT fun.

Haakmed

Oct 29, 2010
This was to be expected on my end anyway...Figured that this would be a problem if they were reporting profit on pre-orders alone.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
That's actually pretty awesome. I was considering not grabbing a multiplayer only game because I feared that there were not going to be enough people to play it with... this might have changed my mind now.

I wonder how many AU/NZ servers/players there are...

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
Nurb said:
If the future is having to deal with some account from 3-5 different companies like the GTA 4 nightmare just to play a damn game, that's when I stop paying for them.
There's no account to deal with. You just double click the game in Steam and play it.

And what hassle of a Steam account is there? You login, click remember me and forgot that it's running. There's literally no hassle. Not to mention that games that don't require an internet connection to play are playable in offline mode once you've downloaded them.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Good. Now let's hope they fix their super-sayan-soldiers' teleport capabilities and add trading.

I need more hats.