Titanfall Gameplay Clip Arrives Fresh From Gamescom

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Titanfall Gameplay Clip Arrives Fresh From Gamescom

The gaming journalist set is very excited for EA's upcoming Titanfall, and thanks to new gameplay footage you can see exactly why.

Titanfall is, superficially, a game about huge mechs. More to the point, it's a game that combines these giant bipedal robots with Mirror's Edge-style parkour, and the sort of first-person shooter combat you'd find in the Battlefield series. It's as if EA's development team stripped out the best bits from the publisher's biggest hits of the current generation in an effort to make a giant splash in the early days of the next.

My words can only convey so much about the game, so please take a few minutes to watch the clip embedded at top-right, and pay particular attention to the mobility the game offers. Firing guns is pretty de rigueur and there's really only so many ways one can animate bombastic explosions, but there's a moment in that clip where the player's character blasts a mech to pieces with a rocket launcher, before tracking the thing's pilot as he or she ejects, only to interrupt the character's fall to earth with a hail of automatic gunfire. Having not played the game I can't guarantee that it's fun or even controls well, but that moment does look undeniably cool.

Expect Titanfall to hit the Xbox 360, Xbox One and Windows platforms during the first quarter of 2014.

Source: YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzYDrzk1xs4]

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
It is on the 360 as well? That seems like a strange choice considering it is not out until next year. I am surprised at how many announced titles for the next gen are also on this one. It provides much less of an incentive to move onto the next one when you don't have any real need to. Especially considering the versions will most likely be pretty much the same, not forgetting that the Xbox 360 version will also be cheaper and have a larger player base.

As for the game itself, it does look pretty cool. A pity I won't be able to play it without a new or upgraded computer though, not to mention my internet is currently too slow to play online. Although I swear they said it was multilayer only, yet it seems to have some kind of story-mode. I assume that it's a multiplayer campaign or something? So rather than have npc's to help you out you have other players?

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Legion said:
It is on the 360 as well?
Yup. It massively increases the potential playerbase thus offering financial incentive to the publisher/developer. It doesn't hinder adoption of the new console in any noticeable way, but does allow the company to hedge its bets just in case the new console isn't an immediate hit.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
That looks pretty good. I might actually get this.
If the reviews are favorable that is.
I wonder how they'll tackle having story in the multiplayer, I hope it doesn't get repetitive.
Man the movement looks real fun.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Gotta admit that looks pretty fun, that's definitely going on my "watch this closely" list

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I remember hearing so many around here, after the first E3 reveal, saying, "Titanfall? Pff, looks like yet another boring, brown, Call of Duty shooter; only with mechs."

Right. I don't recall any Call of Duty game even remotely resembling what the embedded video showcased, save for a bit of the basic gunplay.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Anyway, while I still worry what superfluous bullshit EA may tack onto the front end of the game, I'm still really excited to try it out. The more I learn of it the more intrigued I'm becoming.

I just hope Respawn can deliver on it's promise of a "narrative-driven multiplayer experience".

Legion said:
As for the game itself, it does look pretty cool. A pity I won't be able to play it without a new or upgraded computer though, not to mention my internet is currently too slow to play online.
I wouldn't be so sure. The game is built on a modified version of the Source Engine.

As such, if you can run the likes of Team Fortress 2, Dota 2, Portal 2, etc, you should...in theory...be able to run Titanfall.

Although I swear they said it was multilayer only, yet it seems to have some kind of story-mode. I assume that it's a multiplayer campaign or something? So rather than have npc's to help you out you have other players?
Unless they've rescinded their previous statements, by "multiplayer only", they mean no solo-based campaign. The core game is built around the multiplayer experience.

However, they also said the game can be played cooperatively, or solo, against AI controlled enemies. Along side the default PvP. So, not necessarily "online only".

Kyrdra

May 19, 2013
Crap I'm getting hyped

It actually seems to deliver what Brink was supposed to be only with added mechs. Now throw in dedicated server for Xbox One and PC and we have a deal

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Earnest Cavalli said:
Titanfall is, superficially, a game about huge mechs. More to the point, it's a game that combines these giant bipedal robots with Mirror's Edge-style parkour, and the sort of first-person shooter combat you'd find in the Battlefield series Tribes.
It actually looks like it might be a decent game, but I don't understand why people keep talking about it as if it's some new idea combining elements from lots of different games, rather than simply copying something first done 15 years ago. The only difference seems to be that Tribes had three different size suits while Titanfall only has two. And no vehicles. Or jetpacks. As I say, it may well be a good adaptation of whatever genre Tribes counts as, but let's not pretend it's something it's not.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Kahani said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
Titanfall is, superficially, a game about huge mechs. More to the point, it's a game that combines these giant bipedal robots with Mirror's Edge-style parkour, and the sort of first-person shooter combat you'd find in the Battlefield series Tribes.
It actually looks like it might be a decent game, but I don't understand why people keep talking about it as if it's some new idea combining elements from lots of different games, rather than simply copying something first done 15 years ago. The only difference seems to be that Tribes had three different size suits while Titanfall only has two. And no vehicles. Or jetpacks. As I say, it may well be a good adaptation of whatever genre Tribes counts as, but let's not pretend it's something it's not.
They do have Jetpacks, you see them use them several times throughout the video.

Also Titanfall has Parkour, which honestly I'd probably rather have than Tribes Skiing/Sliding mechanic.