Sony Confirms Vita Price Cut

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Sony Confirms Vita Price Cut

Sony has announced a new $200 price point for the Vita during its Gamescom press conference.

Confirming what many had thought was coming (and well overdue), Sony officially announced at its Gamescom conference that the PlayStation Vita will be getting a price drop. The handheld, which launched at $250, will henceforth be $200 in the United States. European Vitas will be receiving a similar price cut translated into Euros. The price drop honestly comes as little surprise. Suspicions about a potential cut had recently been fueled by similar recent discounts being offered at <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126721-Target-Slashes-All-Vita-Prices-To-199>Target and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126958-Vita-Prices-Slashed-at-Best-Buy>Best Buy.

The price cut came alongside several new game announcements, including a confirmed <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127034-Hotline-Miami-2-Confirmed-for-PS4-Vita>Vita version of Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number. Sony also spent some time during its press conference highlighting the Vita's remote play functionality with PS4. Even with a price cut in play, it remains uncertain if the tides will turn for the Vita. A $50 drop in its price is a definite positive, as are promises to reduce the cost of the handheld's proprietary memory cards. Whether or not these price drops result in a boost in sales, however, is something we'll have to wait and see. That said, this is an inarguable step in the right direction that many gamers have been begging for since the portable launched in 2011.

Source: USA Today

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Hmm, if the price cut is good enough in the UK I may pick one up to play the handful of games I have been wanting (If I get one Persona 4 better be the best thing ever or I will be having words with some of you).

Although generally speaking we don't tend to get very good exchange rates with such things. The Xbox One for example is $500 which should translate to around £319, but it is £429 ($672). The Playstation 4 is $400 which should come to around £255, but it is £349 ($547). So I do not have much hope that we will get a good deal. I feel sorry for Australians too seeing as they tend to get even worse rates.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Legion said:
Hmm, if the price cut is good enough in the UK I may pick one up to play the handful of games I have been wanting (If I get one Persona 4 better be the best thing ever or I will be having words with some of you).

Although generally speaking we don't tend to get very good exchange rates with such things. The Xbox One for example is $500 which should translate to around £319, but it is £429 ($672). The Playstation 4 is $400 which should come to around £255, but it is £349 ($547). So I do not have much hope that we will get a good deal. I feel sorry for Australians too seeing as they tend to get even worse rates.
As I recally their prices on those systems are actually about the same.

I recently picked up a vita for £170 with that mega-pack thingy. It's a great system and actually does have a fair few really bloody good games, particularly cheaper titles and indie games.

Here's the price cut you've all been screaming out for though.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
Still not going to buy one. I don't like digital only distribution. I don't like devices that are totally locked down. I have never and wouldn't pirate, but I own the damn thing it is mine to use as I please.

Anyway...good times. No Vita for me.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
carpathic said:
Still not going to buy one. I don't like digital only distribution. I don't like devices that are totally locked down. I have never and wouldn't pirate, but I own the damn thing it is mine to use as I please.

What.

The Vita isn't only digital... Most of my games are physical.

Busard

Nov 17, 2009
Korten12 said:
carpathic said:

What.

The Vita isn't only digital... Most of my games are physical.
This.

I don't get the complaint. How is it locked down ? There's no region locking too...unless you're complaining that you can't get games for free ?...

Remember what utterly killed the psp ?

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Yeah! Now all they have to do is drop the stupid vita memory card prices and they might actually sell some systems and games on the online store.

Also, to cut costs, maybe they should drop the stupid 3G model. Isn't the 3G model selling way less than the wifi only model? It seems like some stores are pricing them the same to move more 3Gs. Maybe the retailers don't want the 3Gs clogging the shelves. All I've heard was downloading a single game pretty much hits your monthly cap, and the online connection is crap for multiplayer. Why bother when most people would use a wifi hotspot to at least get games? Anyone heard anything different?

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Good start Sony, now make the Memory Cards that you have for the Vita cheaper and I guarantee the thing will soar in sales for you, because the special memory cards are freaking expensive. >.<

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
Neronium said:
Good start Sony, now make the Memory Cards that you have for the Vita cheaper and I guarantee the thing will soar in sales for you, because the special memory cards are freaking expensive. >.<
The memory cards are dropping in price as well, just not quite enough. 32GB card is $80, so you'll see them starting to be on sale for $60. Which is an... improvement, but still twice as much as a normal SD card.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Yay!, I can finally snach Persona 4, Dragons Crown and Metal Gear Collection to play on the go! :D

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
That's great. I'm heading off to college soon and I'm probably gonna need a new handheld to play. Plus the Vita has been looking more and more attractive to me lately, with it's indie support, Sony exclusives/cross play, and the fact that it has multiple uses.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Legion said:

Actually we arguably got better rates, for eg: PS4 is $550, which when taking shipping and the fact it includes tax (US prices don't include tax) into consideration is practically the US price. I checked the differences out when the prices were announced, looked at importing one. Its cheaper to buy one here than import, which is very rare.

OT: Good to hear, I got my 3G version for $250 with a game and 32gb card, its definently worth the price if you can get one. Especially if your on the train/bus to work or travel otherwise with time to burn.

darron13

Jul 30, 2008
The memory cards are dropping in price too, which the article should have mentioned xD

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
The prices of the memory cards are a joke. I'm glad Sony have promised to drop them, but probably not enough though.

It's ridiculous that I can get a class 10 Micro SD card for £13, but would have to pay £58 for a 32GB Vita card.

Despite this I'm still contemplating getting one sometime. I'm hoping the drop in new prices will drop used prices too.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Legion said:

Speaking as someone who's played over 35 hours of persona 4 golden in the past five days, yea it's pretty much the best.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Legion said:

Except in the US and Canada prices are listed before tax wherein the UK they're listed after tax, making thing seem very disproportionate.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Sweet, might pick one up cuz it looks good to have all the past ps1 and psp games on it.

Does anyone know if say it is possible to get a voucher for a digital copy of a physically owned psp game to go into the vita?

Sorry dumb question

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
I am getting one of these for the Binding of Isaac Rebirth. Anything else will be extra. So good news for me! :D