Activision Reveals Call of Duty: Ghosts PS4 Upgrade Offer

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Activision Reveals Call of Duty: Ghosts PS4 Upgrade Offer

Activision says it will cost you a tenner to upgrade from the PlayStation 3 version of Call of Duty: Ghosts to the PS4 edition.

Sony announced earlier today [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127055-Sony-Unveils-PS3-to-PS4-Software-Discounts] that owners of certain PlayStation 3 games will be able to upgrade to PlayStation 4 versions at a "significantly discounted price." Details are a little thin but the idea is simple enough: Gamers can purchase new PS3 games without fear of having to pay full pop for the PS4 editions if and when they upgrade to the new console.

The first "publishing partner" to talk about its involvement in the program is Activision, which said shortly after the Sony announcement that gamers who purchase Call of Duty: Ghosts for the PlayStation 3 can upgrade to the PS4 edition for $10, €10, or £10, depending on where they live. Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg also noted that "for a limited time our players will bring all of their Season Pass Content and all of their in-game progress with them within a console family, for no additional charge."

Of course, if you're happy with the PS3 version of the game you're free to stick with it; Activision said the upgrade program is "completely optional," presumably to head off accusations that players will be forced to pony up for the new version when the time comes. Details about how the upgrade will actually be handled will be released "in the coming weeks" and in the meantime, props to all involved for figuring out how to turn the absence of backward-compatibility into what will no doubt be a lucrative money-making opportunity.

Apr 28, 2008
That's actually pretty sweet. If this is the case with Call of Duty, Activision will probably do the same with Destiny. Hopefully, at least.

windlenot

Archeoastronomist
Mar 27, 2011
I like that they don't completely turn away from the current gen when moving onto the next. No, it's not as good as backwards compatibility, but it's a hell of a lot better than nothing at all.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Not a CoD fan, but cool, I reckon others will follow suit. Except...

Andy Chalk said:
The first "publishing partner" to talk about its involvement in the program is Activision, which said shortly after the Sony announcement that gamers who purchase Call of Duty: Ghosts for the PlayStation 3 can upgrade to the PS4 edition for $10, €10, or £10, depending on where they live.
So US gets it for 10$, UK gets it for 15,68$ and the rest of Europe gets it for 13,37$ (heh). I wish UK residency upon their children and their children's children.

bandit0802

Dec 24, 2008
I've heard people talking about how this is giving people the shaft for upgrading, but it really isn't. They seem to see it as paying for a game they've already paid for. The fact is that if you go this route, you're actually buying TWO games, and I think it's great that Activision and these other publishers are offering you to sell you the second game for only $10. I personally would've preferred having a backwards-compatible system, but I think this is the best we can reasonably ask for considering the circumstances.

As for me, I'm thinking of taking advantage of this, but I currently have the next-gen versions on preorder, so I might just stick with that.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Escapist kicking the hornet's nest yet again with the last paragraph.

I really feel the "news" on this site has taken a turn for the worst as of late.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
upgrade for 10 bucks sell old copy for 30. Get ghost for the discounted price of 39.99 after all is said and done.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Kumagawa Misogi said:
Vrach said:
Not a CoD fan, but cool, I reckon others will follow suit. Except...

Andy Chalk said:
The first "publishing partner" to talk about its involvement in the program is Activision, which said shortly after the Sony announcement that gamers who purchase Call of Duty: Ghosts for the PlayStation 3 can upgrade to the PS4 edition for $10, €10, or £10, depending on where they live.
So US gets it for 10$, UK gets it for 15,68$ and the rest of Europe gets it for 13,37$ (heh). I wish UK residency upon their children and their children's children.

No UK price is £8 ($12.55) plus £2 VAT.
VAT is 20%. At £8 the final price would be £9.60. Good to see uk gamers get the worst deal.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I see Activision haven't heard of exchange rates, then again they admitted to charging the UK £5 more per game just because they could so I'm guessing they are simply being dicks as per usual. And I wonder if Aussies get it for AUS$10 too? That would be a shocker.

Captcha: Dollar signs. Yes captcha, dollar signs everywhere.