Dungeon Keeper Reboot Launching for Mobile Platforms

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Dungeon Keeper Reboot Launching for Mobile Platforms

A new Dungeon Keeper is finally in the works, albeit one designed specifically for touchscreens.

Dungeon Keeper is a fondly remembered strategy game from the mid-90s, back when a developer could call its mascot "Horny" while keeping a straight face. Designed by Peter Molyneux shortly before he left Bullfrog Productions, Dungeon Keeper was unique for making players into villains, challenging them with constructing elaborate dungeons and hiring monsters to kill surface-world heroes. Dungeon Keeper was a major inspiration for later titles like Overlord and Evil Genius, but the series itself hasn't seen any new entries since Bullfrog's closure in 2004. Regardless, fans love a nostaligic re-release, so Electronic Arts has finally revealed a new Dungeon Keeper reboot designed exclusively for iOS and Android devices.

It's not entirely clear whether the Dungeon Keeper reboot will feature new content, or is a straight-up remake of the original. Either way, screenshots show that the visual style has undergone a significant overhaul. The resolution seems far higher than its PC counterparts, and the new 3D models are significantly more polished than its predecessors. On the gameplay front, the Dungeon Keeper remake will also offer PvP and PvE alongside the expected single-player mode. The game's strategy elements should be almost identical to PC versions, considering your in-game mouse cursors was already a giant hand hanging over the landscape.

I'm not entirely sold on the brighter color scheme, which comes off a little too cute and friendly for Dungeon Keeper's demonic creatures. Other than that, the concept is promising; touchscreen devices are ideal platforms for strategy games like Dungeon Keeper, and it could even spark a renewed interest in the series itself. If that happens, PC gamers might very well see a new Dungeon Keeper title in the immediate future.

Until then, Dungeon Keeper will relaunch for iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, and Android devices this winter.

[gallery=1709]

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
I loved the Dungeon Keeper duet and have been waiting patiently for it to become a trio... but not on my phone! Guess it could be better than nothing, but will just have to wait and see I guess.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
And here I was thinking EA had turned a new leaf and were trying to stop being such asshats.

Well at least I get to hold onto my hatred.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
ewww! It looks horrible. Do they have an art department or did they just throw the visuals together in MS Paint?

Mahoshonen

Jul 28, 2008
I hate to be "that guy" but I think people here are hating EA because it's EA. I think the idea is interesting enough, and I'm at least thankful they didn't go the Syndicate route and remake Dungeon Keeper as a cover-based shooter. That might not sound like the great compliment, but baby steps!

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Here's to hoping they won't microtransact some room and minion types to Hell.

I'm sure they will, but hoping they won't.

coatsy35

Aug 21, 2013
Well at least the guys at War for the Overworld are making a worthy contribution to the Dungeon Keeper style of games, even using the same voice actor to narrate, this updated version from EA just looks very "childish"/to bright and colourful.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Jesus fuckedy Christ... it wasn't enough for Capcom to turn Breath Of Fire into a mobile-based MMO. It wasn't enough for Square Enix to turn Dragon Quest into an F2P browser game. Now EA has to turn Dungeon Keeper into a fucking phone game?

Dear EA, kindly go join Capcom and Square Enix in finding the highest wall you can, then throwing yourselves from the top of it. I'm fed up with seeing old classics from my childhood being sacrificed at the alter of F2P iOS and Android.
You forgot an important one lately: Rebellion and Zynga turning Evil Genius into a Facebook game.

sid

Jan 22, 2013
Alright, so help me understand something. If every player aware of the original game has an ulcer at the very thought of a reboot by EA, and the people who will buy it probably don't know there's an original in the first place, why do they keep doing reboots? This is bad PR in a can

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
Y'know, there will be a day when the gargantuan turd known as EA will just collapse in on itself (enjoy the baffling mental image) and one of the few good things that will happen is all of the IPs that they've amassed will be free to go to (hopefully) better homes.

I think that sums up my thoughts on this. But if you need a better idea

FUCK YOU YOU FUCKING FUCKS.

sigh...

Mahoshonen said:
I hate to be "that guy" but I think people here are hating EA because it's EA. I think the idea is interesting enough, and I'm at least thankful they didn't go the Syndicate route and remake Dungeon Keeper as a cover-based shooter. That might not sound like the great compliment, but baby steps!
True...but there really shouldn't be baby steps. It just...ugh poor Dungeon Keeper.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
I never game on any mobile device. Second WTF? it looks like a bad board game.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
"Oh, a classic series let's pilfer it and put it on a totally different system."

And where exactly is the interest coming from to sell it on this system? People who own and use a mobile device as a gaming platform and people who liked Dungeon Keeper are two groups that I doubt have enough overlap to make this profitable. This also dooms any actual sequel on main console. Who the hell greenlit this? FIRE THAT PERSON!

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Haaaaa......
Please people, don't start to hate a game because it changed a lot.
First we mustplay and see if indeed the game was a terrible idea, then start to hate.
Even if the game look different, do you think is the right way to hate it?

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Btw, there is a Korean Version of Dungeon Keeper as an MMO that most people don't know:

So......Why no so much hate for the MMO version again? XD

Clovus

Mar 3, 2011
How is it possible that some indie hasn't managed make a fun Dungeon Keeper clone yet?

It is odd to start the reboot on phones, but maybe this will lead to a proper updated PC version.