Retro City Rampage 3DS Won't Feature 3D Graphics

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Retro City Rampage 3DS Won't Feature 3D Graphics

Indie hit Retro City Rampage is being ported to the Nintendo 3DS handheld, but unlike most games on the platform, it won't take advantage of the system's 3D functionality.

Retro City Rampage is a satire of gaming and pop culture in general. Superficially it offers a Grand Theft Auto-style open world, but the game's aesthetic is purposely modeled after the 8-bit graphics of the Nintendo Entertainment System. The game's content continues this theme of blending the old with the new by including references to everything from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles to Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight, and the entire package oozes a flippant, over-the-top sense of humor that has made it a favorite among the hardcore gamer set. As a result, it was an instant hit and it should come as little surprise that the game has been slowly making its way to nearly every gaming platform in existence.

Next up is Nintendo's 3DS handheld, and while the game should be as endearing as its earlier incarnations, this latest iteration of Retro City Rampage will not take advantage of the 3DS' most prominent feature.

"The main game is 2D, just like the other platforms," reads a new entry on the official Retro City Rampage website. "While just as much as you, I would love to play RCR in 3D, with a top down angle, a conversion wouldn't be trivial. With sidescrollers, developers can simply separate the background and foreground layers and distance them apart. However, with a top down perspective using cube-like objects such as buildings and vehicles, it would require the graphics to all be recreated as 3D objects, a new rendering engine, a camera system that players would be happy with, and further optimizations."

"For a new game it would be more feasible, but for an existing one, it simply would've taken too long."

The good news however, is that developer Vlambeer is doing its best to keep the main thrust of the title intact. "While all previous versions were nearly pixel-for-pixel identical, the dual screens, lower resolution and less beefy processor meant some things had to go back to the drawing board," the post states. "Quality's important to me and for it to play well, it wasn't going to be a quick-n-dirty port. It packs all of the same content as the other versions, including the new Retro+ Enhanced Graphics mode, but every mission is being tweaked and adjusted to run best with the zoomed in camera."

While the lack of 3D functionality is somewhat disappointing, it's certainly not going to ruin the game's chances of success. Many 3DS owners completely ignore the handheld's 3D functionality, as it can cause headaches and often makes games look far less attractive than they would appear otherwise. As long as all the humor and gameplay functionality of Retro City Rampage remains in its 3DS port, the game should be very appealing to devotees of Nintendo's latest handheld.

Source: Retro City Rampage [http://www.retrocityrampage.com/20130821.php]

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
This is the first I've heard of the game coming to 3DS! I've been eyeing it up for a while, but I might wait for the 3DS version; it's slowly but surely becoming my platform of choice.

Semudara

Oct 6, 2010
What, a 3DS game WITHOUT shoe-horned 3D!? Blasphemy! Next thing you know, there will be games for Wii U that just use normal controls in place of special GamePad features, and THEN where will we be?

I have no interest in playing a quality indie game if I can't get a headache while doing it.

In all seriousness, I'm enjoying the 3DS a lot, but the 3D feature really is ancillary. I'm glad he didn't feel any real pressure to include it, and I hope other developers follow suit. The great thing about system capabilities-- including their graphics capability-- is that they provide options to developers, rather than mandates. Heck, this game's retro aesthetic is proof enough of that!

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Do any 3DS games really use the 3D anymore? Or has that feature been ignored like the Wii Motion controls and the Wii U tablet?

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
Do any 3DS games really use the 3D anymore? Or has that feature been ignored like the Wii Motion controls and the Wii U tablet?
You can turn it on if you want, but no game, besides Super Mario 3D Land to my knowledge, requires you to use it really. In my case that's good because the 3D gives me a migraine, as does most things in 3D.
I've had my 3DS for about a year now and I'll admit that I turned it on a few times, but just turned it back off and kept playing my game.

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
Why don't they just create a 3D effect with the arcade-cabinet style letterboxing? The virtual console games can do this. The effect is subtle, but it's still better than absolutely nothing, and it doesn't seem like it would be much effort to simply put a 3D effect around the square viewing area.

Dcj91x

Aug 23, 2013
This may come as a surprise but many people use the 3D on the 3DS and it induces no more headaches than movie theaters or tv 3d. Also the 3D can be turned off so a game not having it is pointless as it alienates those who do use it and by choosing not to add 3D on a 3ds game its a bit of a deal breaker. With many games executing the use of 3D well and most now still running at a full 60fps' its a bit lazy not to have it. However that being said, RCR is a port of an older game and is technically in the style of a Virtual Console game... It should probably have a virtual console price as well, $3.99.