AquaNox Resurfaces, Thanks To Nordic Games

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012

The submarine shooter is about to receive a reboot.

Ah, the sea. It welcomes you into its salty bosom, the waves rocking you gently as the words of Jacques Cousteau echo in your head. Words of beauty and peace. Those words vanish as leaky, oil-spewing submarines duke it out below the surface with explosive weaponry. AquaNox might not have been the most faithful submarine simulator, but it made sense back in the early 2000's. While perhaps not the most well-remembered of titles, Nordic Games thinks there's a place for the property in the modern world and is currently [a href=http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/23/4651434/aquanox-reboot-in-development-at-nordic-games]fashioning a reboot[/a].

The idea behind AquaNox definitely has merit. The futuristic underwater world certainly has more charisma than a generic space setting. Each mission was punctuated by optional dialogs and ship outfitting, giving it less of a linear feel then most shooters. The tech behind it was so advanced for its time that it was used as a benchmark test, like an early Crysis. While the onward march of gaming progress has not been kind to particular elements of the game, the idea seems seaworthy enough on its face.

While other "six-degree-of-freedom" games like Descent still maintain a cult following, AquaNox seems to have quietly sank to the depths. Perhaps news of its rebirth will stir the loyal to arms again.

While Nordic Games acquired AquaNox from JoWood, it also recently snapped up armfuls of obscure or dormant properties from the collapse of THQ. Along with AquaNox, they also acquired Summoner, Titan Quest, Destroy All Humans, and Frontlines, among other.

Source: [a href=http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/23/4651434/aquanox-reboot-in-development-at-nordic-games]Polygon[/a]

47_Ronin

Jul 30, 2012
Oh my, I've been waiting for this for almost a decade. Schleichfahrt was the first game I bought with my own money. I really hope this is going to be good.

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Vivid Kazumi said:
Hopefully this will be waaay better then there somewhat average but kinda sucky painkiller
While I echo those sentiments, Nordic is just the publisher here. You should hope that they don't give the project to Farm 51. :p

nuttshell

Aug 11, 2013
Hell, yeah! I just thought about that game earlier today! Looks like every genre I liked thats been missing for a loooong time, is going to get some fresh newcommers. Wait a minute...a reboot? Oh, allright, just don't suck.

nuttshell

Aug 11, 2013
SupahGamuh said:
I think it should be bigger news that Titan Quest finally has a new publisher.
While Titan Quest was pretty good, there are many games of that genre allready (and are being currently developed). Haven't seen anything new since Aquanox 2 in it's field.

Codey

Sep 9, 2009
IanDavis said:

The submarine shooter survives THQ's wreck

While THQ's larger properties found various new homes, the little known Nordic Games snapped up armfuls of its more obscure, dormant properties. Along with AquaNox, they also acquired Summoner, Titan Quest, Destroy All Humans, and Frontlines, among other.

Source: [a href=http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/23/4651434/aquanox-reboot-in-development-at-nordic-games]Polygon[/a]

You should probably spend more time reading the source article. The rights to AquaNox came to Nordic Games through their acquisition of JoWood back in 2011 and not through its more recent purchase of THQ properties.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
I am worried, considering how many games as of late that were cancelled or the developer went out of business, only to be revived by somebody else, sucked (Duke Nukem Forever, Alien: CM, Ride To Hell, etc.)

Max_imus

Jul 8, 2010
Here's hoping they stay true to the story-telling formula. I absolutely adored Aquanox 2, but lost my copy at some point. It definitely is one of those hidden little gems of gaming history.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
Great to hear that, even more so for the other titles!
I hope they include some fish and stuff this time around.
Aquanox' oceon felt always kinda dead.

That's why I found Aquanox alway inferior to SubWar 2050.

47_Ronin

Jul 30, 2012
Max_imus said:
Here's hoping they stay true to the story-telling formula. I absolutely adored Aquanox 2, but lost my copy at some point. It definitely is one of those hidden little gems of gaming history.
This is something that worries me, too, considering the original author died a few years ago. I hope they revisit some of the ideas he left (if he left some).

BloodRed Pixel said:
Great to hear that, even more so for the other titles!
I hope they include some fish and stuff this time around.
Aquanox' oceon felt always kinda dead.

That's why I found Aquanox alway inferior to SubWar 2050.
Well, it was supposed to be. Then again, it was probably due to hardware restrictions. Still, the plot hinted at a re-population of the oceans, maybe this time around they'll implement it.