Evil Genius Online's F2P Explained, True Sequel Teased

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Evil Genius Online's F2P Explained, True Sequel Teased

No energy mechanics or pushy monetary schemes, Rebellion says.

When Rebellion announced the [a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126698-Zynga-and-Rebellion-Scheme-With-Evil-Genius-Online]rebirth of Evil Genius[/a] as an online F2P game, the response was rather mixed. While most voices were happy to see the beloved strategy title again, seeing it squeezed into a Zynga-esque sausage casing wasn't exactly the triumphant return they expected. Regardless, all the beta slots were claimed less than 24 hours after the announcement, so interest isn't a problem. To assuage many of the concerns voiced since then, Rebellion has posted an open letter to the community. It explains why they decided to go F2P, how they're avoiding becoming Evil Genius-Ville, and even teasing a true sequel in the future.

"For independent studios like Rebellion to survive it's important that we look beyond the console, PC and mobile platforms we know so well," the post states. "Zynga and Facebook are hubs with millions of gamers who can start playing any game in just a couple of clicks. There are almost no barriers. This is why free-to-play is so exciting for both developers and gamers, and yes, it means we can bring Evil Genius to a new audience too."

Necessity or no, F2P social games carry a stigma around them like the odor of a corpse. Thankfully, Rebellion says that they're steering clear of some of the more distasteful elements. First off, there will be no energy mechanic. While certain activities will take different amounts of time, players won't be limited by how many actions they can take per day. Players can spend currency to speed up the waiting time on actions, but it claims that there won't be any pressure applied to do so.

Rebellion admits that Evil Genius Online still won't please every fan. However, it still has its eyes on a true sequel. "We've taken concepts for an Evil Genius sequel to publishers before but we weren't able to secure the funding we needed. However since then, we've looked into alternative ways to get this game funded and created. We are going to make this happen. And it's going to be soon." Here's hoping we can spend some currency and speed up the construction of an Evil Genius 2, perhaps via Kickstarter?

Source: [a href=http://www.rebellion.co.uk/blog/2013/8/22/an-open-letter-to-the-evil-genius-community]Rebellion[/a]

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
While certain activities will take different amounts of time, players won't be limited by how many actions they can take per day. Players can spend currency to speed up the waiting time on actions, but it claims that there won't be any pressure applied to do so.
If activities take time, and players can spend money to bypass the waiting time, in practice this limits how many actions players can take. And it's usually used to pressure people to pay to play, or even pay to get an advantage.

It can be implemented more or less tastefully, but without further information this sounds like bog-standard skinner box monetization. Insert coin, pull the lever.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
You still haven't fix the error yet in the linked story? Rebellion isn't the original developer.

And even if they do intend to make a sequel, it will most likely be as broken as their Sniper Ghost warrior was. Not exactly a stellar studio.
I agree, their track record is pretty poor, this reminds me of dungeons, where they (a different studio with a terrible track record, I think Kalypso) originally marketed it to look and sound like a successor to Dungeon Keeper, but then screwed up everything about that game.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
Warachia said:
I agree, their track record is pretty poor, this reminds me of dungeons, where they (a different studio with a terrible track record, I think Kalypso) originally marketed it to look and sound like a successor to Dungeon Keeper, but then screwed up everything about that game.
Likewise, the disappointing "Impire". What is it about this genre that makes it so difficult to get a halfway-decent game made? The original Evil Genius still holds up wonderfully to replaying, but nothing else has shown up for a decade?

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
You know, if it plays much like The Simpsons: Tapped Out I'd be okay with this. I've had that game on my iPad for about 9 months now and I rather enjoy checking in on it a few times through the day, and I haven't felt pressured to spend a dime on it; nor have I. What I guess I'm saying is I would rather it go the "Zen garden" approach than some of the other awful swill Zynga has put out.

Though I would prefer it not tie itself to Facebook; that's like willingly having a tumor implanted into your side.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Oh, it's going to be one of those free-to-play games. The second worst thing after energy systems in the 'building-things-takes-x-hours' systems. It's just an energy system in disguise. I'm guessing there will be a set number of 'builders' but obviously you can buy more with real money if you want to build more things at once. And we already know you have to pay to speed things up, so everything will take an age to complete to punish non-payers. Nothing is behind a pay wall, it's behind a time wall instead.