Researchers Create First Human-to-Human Brain Interface

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Researchers Create First Human-to-Human Brain Interface

Break out the tinfoil hats people, mind control is an actual thing.

In a story that's straight out of science-fiction, University of Washington researchers have created what they claim to be the world's first human-to-human brain interface. Using the device, one researcher was able to send a brain signal via the Internet to control the hand motions of a fellow researcher. In layman's terms? Mind control.

Rajesh Rao, one of the researchers, was first hooked up to an electrical brain recorder and a form of magnetic stimulation. He then booted up a very simple computer game where you simply had to press the "fire" button when an enemy rockets appeared on screen, but not friendly supply planes. Rao would think very hard about moving his index finger to press the fire button, without actually pushing it.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the UW campus, Rao's co-worker Andrea Stocco wears a magnetic stimulation coil over the left motor cortex region of his brain. Rao's brain signal is then sent over the internet to Stocco, who involuntarily moves his right index finger to hit the fire button whenever Rao's mind tells him to. Stocco's input is then transferred back to Rao's game. Yes, you read that right. Rao is using a mindslave to play a videogame for him.

"The Internet was a way to connect computers, and now it can be a way to connect brains," Stocco said. "We want to take the knowledge of a brain and transmit it directly from brain to brain." Rao added, "It was both exciting and eerie to watch an imagined action from my brain get translated into actual action by another brain."

Of course, this is a very rudimentary proof-of-concept experiment, but it does clearly show that these kinds of things can actually be done. The biggest question on our minds is how long until the U.S Army weaponizes it?

Source: University of Washington [http://www.washington.edu/news/2013/08/27/researcher-controls-colleagues-motions-in-1st-human-brain-to-brain-interface/]

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
Saw the title, thought VR sex toy ala Demolition Man. Slightly disappointed now.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
Well.......this doesn't make me more paranoid in the slightest.
*Edges away from computer grabs gun aims at screen*
BANG

Bazaalmon

Apr 19, 2009
It's not quite mind control yet. It seems like the first guy has to concentrate incredibly hard to create even the smallest twitch in the second. Still, it's pretty amazing. Science!
I wonder how long it will be until someone can cause full range-of-motion actions in another person.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
That's amazing. I can't wait until someone hacks my brain and makes me kill a high-profile target. GitS, here we come.

mechalynx said:
Saw the title, thought VR sex toy ala Demolition Man. Slightly disappointed now.
Damn cuz I was really looking forward to diddling Sylvester Stallone Sandra Bullock.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Now it's only a matter of time until the first rich famous guy starts employing people as avatars so he doesn't have to leave his villa.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Interesting. However, I'm not entirely worried about full-on mind control just yet.

While they were able to induce actions in the test subject, they didn't say anything about PREVENTING him from acting on his own. Even if this were significantly expanded-upon, it's entirely likely that a fully-conscious mind would be able to resist it.

What I DO find intriguing is the potential this could serve for Surrogates-style robotic replacements.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
Well that's a relief I thought this was going to be about mind reading, but it's just mind control.

Mind reading is far more worrying, what's in my head is for me only and needs to stay in my head. If I ever met a telepath I would murder them on the spot.

I suppose there is a purpose for this kind of tech in America. The president can nuke North Korea and when asked for an expliantion he can blame some Russian spy using mind control tech to make him push buttons.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
mechalynx said:
Of course. Whenever somebody invents anything it's only a matter of time before somebody asks this question:

Drakoorr

Nov 20, 2009
So, which vision of the future will this lead to? Place your bets for...
A) Gamer.
B) Surrogates. or
C) Ghost in the Shell

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
Drakoorr said:
A) Gamer.
B) Surrogates. or
C) Ghost in the Shell
I'm betting on Surrogates. Creating bodies that you can do whatever the hell you want with without any repercussion to you? Who wouldn't want that?

Gamer simply wouldn't be correct morally and very few actual people would be okay with it.

GitS could happen though, but not for a long time.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Well, to compare it to telephone technology - this is still in the telegraph prototype stage. Then again, once this goes wireless things WILL get scary.

dumbseizure

Mar 15, 2009
Drakoorr said:
A) Gamer.
B) Surrogates. or
C) Ghost in the Shell
Probably surrogates, BUT COME ONNNNNN GHOST IN THE SHELL!

gabycms

Sep 1, 2011
This isn't mind to mind, it's mind to motor cortex. TOTALLY different thing. When you actually find a way to implant an idea or message inside a human brain at a distance, now that's mind to mind communication.

OT: definitely got to see GItS again.

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
immortalfrieza said:
mechalynx said:
Of course. Whenever somebody invents anything it's only a matter of time before somebody asks this question:
I cannot speak for the rest of humanity, but my approach to anything is - what kind of pleasure is there to be derived from this?

Drejer43

Nov 18, 2009
"The Internet was a way to connect computers, and now it can be a way to connect brains,"
Sword art online here I come

M0rp43vs

Most Refined Escapist
Jul 4, 2008
Gordon_4 said:
So, when can we start seeing Jaegers?
Came here to say that. Might as well be prepared for when kaiju come crawling out of a crack in the ocean.

...Ok, mostly I want human controlled giant robots