Reggie Fils-Aime Says "Meh" to PS4/Xbox One Line-Ups

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Reggie Fils-Aime Says "Meh" to PS4/Xbox One Line-Ups

Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime feels "very good about the value proposition" represented by the Wii U.

Nintendo dropped some big news yesterday, announcing not only a <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escapist-news-now/8005-Wii-U-Price-Drop-2DS-Revealed>price drop for the Wii U, but also the 2DS, a cheaper, 3D-free version of the 3DS. Now, commenting on the upcoming launch of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime has expressed why he thinks gamers should go with Nintendo.

"It's all about the games. The competitive systems have announced their launch lineups. I'm allowed to say 'Meh,'" said Fils-Aime. "I look at our lineup of titles and I feel good about our lineup. We've got Zelda. We've got Mario. We've got Donkey Kong. In addition to great titles like Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101, I feel very good about our lineup, and I feel very good about the value proposition we're putting out there for the consumer."

A proposition certainly made more attractive by the recent price drop. Much like the Wii benefited from being vastly cheaper than the Xbox 360 and PS3, it stands to reason that a $299.99 Wii U could look better to some consumers than than the PS4 and Xbox One which cost <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124812-Update-PlayStation-4s-Appearance-Finally-Unveiled>$399.99 and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125111-Microsoft-499-Xbox-One-Will-Over-Deliver-on-Value>$499.99, respectively. Fils-Aime could arguably also have a bit of a case when it comes to the PS4 and Xbox One's launch line-ups. While both consoles will boast a few new exclusives, several of their bigger launch titles are multiplatform games that will be available on other systems, including the Wii U. We wouldn't quite say this amounts to "meh," especially considering some of the new features being added by the PS4 and Xbox One, but we could see why others might.

Source: <a href=http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/28/nintendo-president-on-ps4-xbox-one-launch-lineups-meh?utm_campaign=fbposts&utm_source=facebook>IGN

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Well, gee whiz, I wonder what Sony has to say about Nintendo and Microsoft's line-up, or Microsoft about Sony and Nintendo's.

Whadda ya think?

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Well, gee whiz, I wonder what Sony has to say about Nintendo and Microsoft's line-up, or Microsoft about Sony and Nintendo's.

Whadda ya think?
"Seriously, those guys have blown us out of the water. I honestly don't know why we're bothering. Guys, just go and buy their console, because that's exactly what I'm going to do"

- Chad Business, head of PR

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Whadda ya think?
Microsoft: "Ryse, Forza, and Dead Rising 3... Yeah, we're boned."

Sony: "Look at all these games we have! Driveclub! Killzone! Knack! Don't ask about Knack, we don't even know what that's about! And tons more, we- Wait, what do you mean inFamous won't make launch?"

Nintendo: "It's a-me! Mario!"

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
RaNDM G said:
Casual Shinji said:
Whadda ya think?
Microsoft: "Ryse, Forza, and Dead Rising 3... Yeah, we're boned."

Sony: "Look at all these games we have! Driveclub! Killzone! Knack! Don't ask about Knack, we don't even know what that's about! And tons more, we- Wait, what do you mean inFamous won't make launch? Well, we need something to fill that slot! Basement Crawler? What the heck is Basement Crawler?"

"... We're boned."

Nintendo: "It's a-me! Mario!"
That pretty much summarises my apathy towards the launch lineups. The only great looking platform exclusive to me is Killzone, but I can wait a year or two for one game.

OT: Oh Reggie, you so crazy

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
I'm starting to agree with this guy, at this point i'd much rather buy a WiiU, i just wished i could trust that it would get more third party support. I'm kinda hoping that From Software and Nippon-Ichi turns to Nintendo, but that doesn't really seem likely...

But i've been playing a lot of Wii lately, it really is refreshing because the line-up is a bit different to ps3 and X360. I guess i'm just getting burned out at all the flashy AAA games that seems more interested in crappy b-movie storytelling than actual engaging gameplay. And i'm not even a Nintendo guy, i've always gravitated towards 90s pc games and ps1-2 games^^, and i guess WiiU is closer to that than the direction ps4 seems to be going.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
We've got the same Mario we've had three other times now, and another one that isn't out yet. We've got the same Zelda you played a decade ago, except we cranked the bloom up to 11. We've got a Donkey Kong game that isn't out yet. We've got a game which is apparently selling abysmally in Japan right now [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.826783-The-wonderful-101-bombs-in-Japan]. And Pikmin 3 I guess. (I mean c'mon not even a mention of system-seller Smash Bros.?)

Look. Reggie. You're a cool dude.

But it's your job to say "meh" to the competitor. Don't act like it isn't.

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
While I find it sort of silly that Nintendo is doing so poorly, and the he comes out and says this.

.... I really can't help but sort of agree. I mean the Wii U had "meh" launch titles as well, but as it stands right now, the upcoming Wii U line up interests me greatly. The PS4/XB1 upcoming line ups are really uninteresting to me, and anything that was interesting is multi-platform.

Then again this whole industry seems to have problems. Everywhere. I guess you have to take whatever small victories come your way, whenever they show up.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
"We've got Zelda. We've got Mario. We've got Donkey Kong. In addition to great titles like Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101, I feel very good about our lineup, and I feel very good about the value proposition we're putting out there for the consumer."
One problem - none of the released games so far SOLD WELL (let alone was a system seller - there probably won't be one until Smash Bros, either)

So, yeah, your line-up is way more 'meh' than theirs, buddy.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
It's a shame that quote could almost have been lifted from two decades ago.

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
Desert Punk said:
Nintendos american president isnt impressed by the lineup of his competitors... Stop the fucking presses....

Why is this even news?

Can we also get a headline about how the sky is going to be blue and that water will continue to remain wet?
Sorry to be the one to say this, but water isn't wet. It makes other things wet, but the substance itself couldn't be called wet, as that would imply that it is in a solid state of matter, as opposed the the liquid state that it is actually in.

Anyway: If Nintendo can actually get some system sellers on the WiiU then more power to them.
Their current issue though is that game development is taking longer and longer and Nintendo simply doesn't have the number of studios and manpower to support all their franchises.

Thats why the last Starfox game was in 2005 and why we only get a new console Zelda game once every ~5 years or so.

I understand them not wanting to buy a studio and seeing all the talent leaving (see: Rare after MS acquisition, Bioware today, etc) but for the WiiU to properly compete Nintendo need to get several new installments of the franchises I like onto the platform, and do that before Sony does.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
For me, Nintendo has always been the 'safe' investment. When a new console cycle comes around, I will happily put my money down for the latest Nintendo hardware, safe in the knowledge that there will be a solid library of quality, highly polished games for it.

As for the others? At the moment, the PS4 is building up a few titles that've captured my interest, and Microsoft once more seem to be going out of their way to not get any of my money.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Irony as that's what I've been thinking about Nintendo. Zing?

As far as Nintendo goes I'm struggling to find something that would make me want to buy back into Nintendo, but since they lost Rare they've nigh been dead to Me.

Neta

Aug 22, 2013
Mario, Link, Donkey Kong?

What does it matter if it's the same old characters as long as the games are good.

Change Link to be some kind of Wolf deity and set the game in mythological Japan instead of Hyrule and if it's a good enough game, who cares what the main character is called?

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Casual Shinji said:

Whadda ya think?
Sony: "Damn, who would've thought they'd have Mario, Zelda and Donkey Kong? I guess we better declare bankruptcy and go home."

Microsoft: "But how will they watch football?"