SimCity Mac Launch Runs Into Trouble

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
SimCity Mac Launch Runs Into Trouble

Mac users trying to play SimCity have had trouble installing and launching the game.

Still contending with the fallout of its disastrous SimCity <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122610-EA-Claims-SimCity-Problems-Are-Almost-Behind-Us>launch on PCs, Electronic Arts appears to have another Sim-centric situation on its hands. After being<a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124700-EA-Delays-SimCity-Mac-Again> delayed several times by the publisher, SimCity finally made its way to Mac users today. Now, it's looking like the game might have needed a bit more time in the crockpot.

Many Mac users, attempting to play the game have found themselves unable to even install it. While some could chalk this up to their systems simply being too old for the new game, problems have apparently been occurring on computers old and new alike. While some have been able to get the game working, many others are still struggling, in some cases having to reinstall EA's Origin download application multiple times. Even after a successful installation however, many users have reported issues getting the game to start up. Other problems like persistent lag and an inability to play it in full-screen mode have also been occurring.

A spokesperson from Maxis responded to the situation stating that "There are a small number of players who have encountered issues with SimCity for Mac. Our live team is working individually with our players to resolve their issues and get them into the game as quickly as possible." Regardless of whether or not the Mac version's problems are as persistent or widespread as they were on the PC, it's still a bad situation for EA to find itself in again, especially with the same game. Logic would just seem to dictate that, after all the hubbub surrounding the game's original launch, it would make sure the Mac release went off without a hitch.

Source: TUAW

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Oh for the love of God, we're honestly going to have this song and dance again?

elexis

just another guy
Mar 17, 2009
I must congratulate EA, never before has there been such an authentic and accurate port of a AAA game from one platform to another.

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
Who would honestly want to play SimCity.
These Mac users knew for a fact that the game was nigh-unplayable, so frankly EA should leave it as-is in an attempt to get the players to give up so they won't have to deal with customers any more.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Why even bother releasing it for OSX if you did not check for bugs?

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
This is the song that never ends.
It just goes on and on my friends.
Some people started singing it not knowing what it was,
And they'll continue singing it forever just because . . .

EA doesn't give a shit. You bought it like a drooling imbecile, no money back for you, now cry into this jar so we can harness the power of your broken nerd heart.

porous_shield

Jan 25, 2012
Media: Your game, it's powered by the heart of a FORSAKEN CHILD!?
EA/Maxis: Might be, kind of ? I mean, I didn't use the whole thing!
[small]Slightly altered Venture Bros quote.[/small]

With the history of this game one would think no one would rush out and buy it but you'd think they do more trouble shooting so another page isn't added to the game's trouble history.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009

Anybody care to join me in some Popcorn?

Ah EA, you provide endless entertainment... ..not intentionally obviously.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
"Small number of players" = ?

There's the rub, really. If it's only 1% of purchasers, then there isn't actually any news, and the launch went decently well, unfair internet blasting aside.

If it's more than 10%, though... Houston, we have a problem.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
Man, I never saw this sort of a problem coming - said no one who knows anything about games ever...

Seriously?

I just don't get how they could screw this game up any more than they already have, then they go ahead and beat my worst expectations.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I feel like they should almost send out this notice with every game these days.

Every publisher said:
There are a small number of players who have encountered issues with Game for Platform. Our live team is working individually with our players to resolve their issues and get them into the game as quickly as possible.

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
I just saw "Sim City" and "trouble" in the same sentence and assumed it was a repeat of several months back. I've come to expect failure whenever Sim City launches anything now.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Well I guess that's one way to kill a brand.

I wonder how many people who bought it knew about the issues with the PC launch and the terrible AI?