Cut The C&*p! Gamer's Swear Jar Coming Soon

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Cut The C&*p! Gamer's Swear Jar Coming Soon

Care to give $1 to Unicef? Just keep talking.

We've all said things we regret, sometimes several times in the same sentence, occasionally involving donkeys, marital congress, and the inauspiciousness of your opponent's birth sign. Or something along those lines, but Canadian Bakz Awan has a solution. Every time you mouth off - and yes, I mean you, the one at the back there with the T shirt you thought was funny but really isn't - put a buck in the swear jar. Your contribution goes straight to Unicef which, if this catches on, will have cash flowing out of its metaphorical ears in no time at all. The swear jar for gamers isn't quite ready yet; Awan has to work out some kinks. When complete, it will be an app that you download to the smartphone of your choice. You mouth off, click the app, fill the jar with loot, and send said loot off to Unicef.

"It started out just as an inside joke with some friends of mine - I challenged them to try not to swear during their game play, it was damn ... erm ... darn near impossible for them to quit," says Awan. So the next logical step was to invent a swear jar for everyone to use. Awan doesn't think he's going to change the world, but if it does even a little good and raises some cash for charity, then it's done more than enough. It won't be long before the swear jar becomes a reality - Awan's hoping it'll be done within the next few days - so if you feel the need, better start swearing now before the jar shows up.

If you want to support Awan's noble cause, you could Tweet #CUTTHEC&*P, or even visit his website [http://www.cutthecraptoday.org/] and take the pledge. You know you want to, you donkey-caressing son of a beetroot.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
This has to become a thing right now. Unfortunately those that swear the most are the CodBlops2 preteens, who are the least likely of all to follow the practice. I know a bunch of parents who already do this and it helps so much.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Cue thread filling up with people swearing..

Good idea, I guess.. not for me. I like swearing too much and never saw it as something that I shouldn't be doing. There's a time and a place for everything and one of swearing's times is in the middle of a gaming session. (clarification - I'm talking about single player mostly, as that's what I do. I'm not touching that noxious COD-esque multiplayer community! The trouble people there aren't the ones who'd get a swear jar app, surely.)

Also, 'damn' and 'crap' aren't swears.

Second thoughts: this'll just increase the number of people using that abominable "frack" word; and for that this idea must die in a fire!

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
There is nothing wrong with swearing. Like, at all. But if people want to give money to charity I don't have a problem with it. Particularly secular charities. Not that I think religious charities can't do good, but it should be about helping people not trying to convert them.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
If he fucking wants to curtail shitty swearing then he shouldn't use a cunting swearword (even if it's censored) in his dicking logo. You may have noticed I don't care much about the old swear words. So I guess the charity won't be getting my moolah.

I guess it gives people a fun way to give to charity though, so good on him. Maybe Desert Bus 2013 could have a swear jar, anyone who swears on-stream has to give a dollar to the jar. For the children.

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
Okay. If people really want to do this, then they can be my guest. I'd assume it would be probably easier to just donate a hard amount to UNICEF then this though. Plus, I don't really feel that swearing is that big a deal. Obviously there are situations where you shouldn't, but I find that you're brain has a good idea of when those situations occur and to try and stop you from swearing. Me personally, I love swearing too much to get an app like this or do a real-life, original swear jar; many a memorable lines of mine came from my open ability to use whatever swears I so desired.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I do not wish to partake of this. I don't see any problem with swearing, so I don't see any reason to curb it.

On another wavelength, though, UNICEF, you do good work. Do not change a thing.

Vareoth

Mar 14, 2012
Personally I can't see the fucking problem with this bloody bullshit. It's a somewhat funny idea though.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
I don't see why swearing is such a bad thing. It's an expression of a negative emotion and paying for it has always seemed ridiculous to me.

Don't get me wrong of course. It's for charity and it's a fun little idea.

Now if someone could talk MS into integrating this onto the Kinect and taking out $1 every time it identifies a swear word... Cure world hunger in a week?

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
anthony87 said:
Since when is "crap" a swear?
Not sure. Ask the free press why they censor the word "fart" while you're at it.

Seriously...I don't get that one.

OT: Too bad this can't incorporate voice recognition software since that could clean up a few online games. Could you imagine those guys on certain FPS games being FORCED to pony up some dough if they swear worse than a sailor? Betcha it will convince the mothers who allow their 10-year-olds to play such games to think otherwise when they get the bill for their kid's mouth during a COD session.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Teoes said:
Cue thread filling up with people swearing..

Good idea, I guess.. not for me. I like swearing too much and never saw it as something that I shouldn't be doing. There's a time and a place for everything and one of swearing's times is in the middle of a gaming session. (clarification - I'm talking about single player mostly, as that's what I do. I'm not touching that noxious COD-esque multiplayer community! The trouble people there aren't the ones who'd get a swear jar app, surely.)

Also, 'damn' and 'crap' aren't swears.

Second thoughts: this'll just increase the number of people using that abominable "frack" word; and for that this idea must die in a fire!
Fracking is a serious topic and is causing a lot of trouble between environmentalists and politicians. If you think it's abominable, you can join the debate...yeah I'm joking.

I swear all the time. I don't see it as a bad thing. There's nothing bad about empty words. I don't use them in polite company and I also rarely play a game below a 15 rating online, so if a little kid hears me say a bad word I don't give a fuck.

Yozozo

In a galaxy far, far away...
Mar 28, 2009
As a multi-linguist... anytime profanity is brought up I can't help but cringe. Not because "bad words" are being used, but the opposite. Not every word is offensive to everybody who speaks the same language.

In South America, where almost every nation speaks Spanish, what words are profane can switch as little as a hundred mile stretch from one border to the next. (Example, "coger" means to grab, in Argentina it is also the word "Fuck". "Coger" has its normal meaning in every other Spanish speaking nation).

What is considrered profane also changes over time with culture. Example: "Bloody" used to be as strong as the word "Fuck" in England (and in a few peoples eyes it still is), but in Australia it is considered tame enough for use in the courtroom.

Sometimes it changes over time within a culture, such as the word "Breast", and no, not like boobies breast, I mean like... "I don't want a thigh, I prefer the breast meat" (cause at least I have chicken). At the turn of the century (er... the one before last... 1900's), any such reference would be made with "I don't want dark meat, I want white meat."

Clearly, what words each society views as "profane" changes between cultures with such a wild degree that maybe, just maybe... people shouldn't give a fuck about the exact word that comes out of the mouth... but as another poster above mentioned... it is the intent behind such words.

If you stub your toe and say "Gosh darn it", the meaning is exactly the same as if you said "fucking damnit," and you are only fooling the most simplist of individuals when you use "substitute" words in your profanities.

Even though the proposed "swear jar" idea is to ultimately increase funds for a worthy cause, it is going about it via negative reinforcement, which usually results in overt changes, and not inner attitudes. And we certainly do not want the segment of our brain that thinks of donating to trigger a negative emotional response. This kind of donation does exactly that, and could cause one to decrease overall donations later in life.

Sep 14, 2009
MinionJoe said:
It's not the word that makes a swear, it's the intent.

Good luck policing that.

Captcha: I think I can!

Good luck to you too, Captcha...

Bonus Round:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=why-do-we-swear
yep, and everyone curses, just in their own way.

"oh cheese and rice, why can't that muffin just doodley the tootin up?!?"

translation:

"oh jesus christ, why can't that fucker just shut the fuck up??!?"

granted, i love the way most swear words "roll off the tongue" so to speak, just feels good letting out a righteous FUCKKK, but a word is just a word, switching it out but having the same intent does jack shit.

although i see no problem raising money for charities, carry on.

edit:
Yozozo said:
As a multi-linguist...snip.
you hit the nail on the head right when i was posting, good job.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
I wish this were a mandatory inclusion in all gaming platforms. Don't get me wrong. I like four letter words, but people who use them with every sentence or even multiple times per sentence annoy me to no end.