Deathwing Brings FPS Action To Games Workshop's Space Hulk

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Deathwing Brings FPS Action To Games Workshop's Space Hulk

[youtube=0Nr1zMtEsJQ

[B]You'll be a Librarian, with all the power a Psyker can command.[/B]

Space Hulk is one of the best ideas ever to come out of Games Workshop: you crawl around in the belly of the interstellar beast, heavily armed and armored, fighting for your life again and again as the Genestealers claw out your innards with brutal ferocity. Space Hulk: Deathwing - not to be confused with tactical strategy PC, Mac and iOS game Space Hulk [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126904-Space-Hulk-Launch-Trailer-Offers-Blood-Guts-And-Chainguns] - is an attempt by Focus Home Interactive and Cyanide Studio to give the series an FPS variant, in which you play as a Dark Angels Deathwing Librarian, stalking the halls of a Hulk bringing the Emperor's vengeance to its unclean corridors. The trailer doesn't give much away, but then that's the whole point of a teaser; no doubt more will arrive soon.

This is a skills tree system, in which your victories grant you Fervor Points to spend on upgrades. As a Psyker, you also have special Warp powered abilities to use against your foes. You'll be searching for lost tech and relics, which you can use for the greater glory of the Emperor, slaying Genestealers left and right. This is the same team that made EYE: Divine Cybermancy [http://eye.streumon-studio.com/], so expect oddness, but then oddness is pretty much what the Space Hulk universe is all about.

If you were hoping for a release date, keep on hoping, but there is a website over here [http://spacehulk-deathwing.com/]. Enjoy!

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-03-fps-space-hulk-deathwing-gets-teaser-trailer]

Hazzard

Jan 25, 2012
I heard EYE was good, but I played it and the demo was stupidly complicated.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Some day I'd like there to be a Warhammer 40K game that had you playing as something besides a grizzled space marine. I know that marketing says it wouldn't sell as well, and they may be right, but as a fan of Warhammer, humans have always been my LEAST favorite race. If you want to make a game about psykers, use the friggin' Eldar. They have all the powers of the warp and an art style that is a lot more interesting, with equipment that is a lot more variable than gun-gun-bigger-gun. Their unit movement is even more graceful, which is a major reason the big fat armor gets so annoying. If you're going to do marines, at least make it Chaos so we can use demonic warp spells and summon some monsters. It would be more interesting than the umpteenth Space Marine game.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
TiberiusEsuriens said:
Some day I'd like there to be a Warhammer 40K game that had you playing as something besides a grizzled space marine. I know that marketing says it wouldn't sell as well, and they may be right, but as a fan of Warhammer, humans have always been my LEAST favorite race. If you want to make a game about psykers, use the friggin' Eldar. They have all the powers of the warp and an art style that is a lot more interesting, with equipment that is a lot more variable than gun-gun-bigger-gun. Their unit movement is even more graceful, which is a major reason the big fat armor gets so annoying. If you're going to do marines, at least make it Chaos so we can use demonic warp spells and summon some monsters. It would be more interesting than the umpteenth Space Marine game.
Well there was that Fire Warrior FPS where you played as a Tau.

It was horrible.

Alcom1

Jun 19, 2013
TiberiusEsuriens said:
Some day I'd like there to be a Warhammer 40K game that had you playing as something besides a grizzled space marine.
Fire Warrior? It's a PS2 game from 2003, which had the player in the role of a Tau Fire Warrior. I've never played it, but it exists.

Deathlyphil

Mar 6, 2008
You play most of these games a Space Marine, because the Space Marine line is what keeps Games-Workshop alive. Without those muscle-bound, religious, high-tech, and yet somehow still bland heroes, GW would have died many years ago.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Twenty Ninjas said:
So you're a space marine but also a psyker? Does that even work?

Anyway, Space Hulk sounds like a terribly boring idea that was already done ages ago and has zero potential. If that's the best Games Workshop can do, color me uninterested.
Most Space Marine Chapters (Dark Angels included) have psychic librarians that wear blue armour. Yeah.

Space Hulk was originally a turn based board game, making it into a FPS...dunno. Also, making a Space Hulk game just being about corridors and genestealers is also a bit dull, in the fluff hulks are much more interesting than that.

Oh, shouldn't that be "Fervour", not "Fervor"?

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Twenty Ninjas said:

Anyway, Space Hulk sounds like a terribly boring idea that was already done ages ago and has zero potential. If that's the best Games Workshop can do, color me uninterested.
While Space Marines are mainly genetic super soldiers with cybernetic implants, there are a few psykers who are lore masters and keepers of ancient secrets, called Librarians.

As one of the few human psykers, in every single Warhammer 40K game I have ever played they get corrupted by the Chaos Warp and go traitor. It'll be interesting to see how they handle that with you being the librarian, but there's a 99.99% likely-hood that it WILL happen. The fact that I can pretty much predict that makes me agree with your last statement.

PBMcNair

Aug 31, 2009
Twenty Ninjas said:

Yes.

They even have a specific title. Librarian. Like it says in the article.
I'm sorry, I'm in a snarky mood. Here's a link instead of more snark.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Librarian#.UiX83j_b1Wg

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
If nothing else it's nice to see something other than the Blood Angels or Ultramarines for once.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Gamesworkshop better be careful, giving their game the subheading of "Deathwing" steps on Blizzard's copyright for their villain character named "Deathwing". (at least I think so)

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Again, the armour of a Librarian is supposed to be blue regardless of chapter.

Other than that, ill wait for more details before i start dicharging money over it.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
KeyMaster45 said:
Gamesworkshop better be careful, giving their game the subheading of "Deathwing" steps on Blizzard's copyright for their villain character named "Deathwing". (at least I think so)
I was thinkin the same thing myself. Deathwing as a character has been around since at least 2000 in Blizzard lore.

Dunno how that exactly works legally, but it bein so prominent on the name of the game seems like it'd cause issues.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
If they really nail the scale of a Hulk and capture it's functionality as a derelict fortress city this will be a good buy, if only in a budget bin. A lot of games lately have had Guns n' Magic style gameplay, so I'm not too sure what to make of that. If the guns are sufficiently weighty that befits a Terminator and the Warp is sufficiently Warpy, then I won't complain about it been a bit of an overused combat system.

Also, is the foe strictly genestealers? I know that's the shtick for the TT, but the Lore could easily allow for Chaos or Ork opponents too.

What I'm more concerned about is how they tie a narrative to this. The space hulk TT is a Tactical game first and foremost and the narrative if any is irrelevant to the game beyond context. Generally it's a Hulk pinging a distress signal, or floating aimlessly in space, Terminators arrive and a fight for survival ensues with the interlopers.

This could be a lot more interesting if it isn't strictly linear and the use of Warp powers has some Chaos related risk and reward system.

Too early to make judgements though, so I'll just file this away as having potential.

Aug 31, 2012
KeyMaster45 said:
shintakie10 said:
I was thinkin the same thing myself. Deathwing as a character has been around since at least 2000 in Blizzard lore.

Dunno how that exactly works legally, but it bein so prominent on the name of the game seems like it'd cause issues.
Unlikely, seeing as the original Deathwing came out in 1990 and the names refer to very different things.

OT: Hmmm...Cyanide eh? Not getting my hopes up, Blood Bowl had a lot of issues.

PBMcNair

Aug 31, 2009
Twenty Ninjas said:
PBMcNair said:
Twenty Ninjas said:

Yes.

They even have a specific title. Librarian. Like it says in the article.
I'm sorry, I'm in a snarky mood. Here's a link instead of more snark.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Librarian#.UiX83j_b1Wg
You'll forgive my transgression against the Emperor, I'm not so well-versed in 40k lore.
It's cool, that's why I went with the link. Always nice to pass on info, even if it is useless 99% of the time.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Finally, something that might be better than Fire Warrior. To be fair though, I actually really liked Fire Warrior...
I'm going to go play Fire Warrior now.

Slycne said:
If nothing else it's nice to see something other than the Blood Angels or Ultramarines for once.
Needs more Imperial Fists though! Screw those traitorous TOTALLY LOYAL Dark Angels.
Although Deathwing were one of my favorite armies to play when I was into the tabletop version. Deploying your entire army in 2 minutes with under 30 models has a nice charm to it. Even if I did get curb-stomped by my friends 'Nids 99% of the time.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Zykon TheLich said:
KeyMaster45 said:
shintakie10 said:

Unlikely, seeing as the original Deathwing came out in 1990 and the names refer to very different things.

OT: Hmmm...Cyanide eh? Not getting my hopes up, Blood Bowl had a lot of issues.
1990 eh? Yeah, that predates Warcraft Orcs and Humans by 4ish years so you're right. Shouldn't be an issue.