XCOM Mods Are Possible, Just Not Coming Soon

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
XCOM Mods Are Possible, Just Not Coming Soon

"Never say never," says Firaxis producer Garth De Angelis.

"If we were to do it," says Firaxis' Garth De Angelis, "We'd want to do it right." Modding XCOM: Enemy Unknown is something would-be Sectoid leaders can only dream of at the moment, and Firaxis isn't about to add mod support any time soon. Adding the proper level of support takes time, something Firaxis has a finite supply of; there are other projects [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127395-XCOM-Enemy-Within-Trailer-Unleashes-the-War-Machines] that come first.

It doesn't help that the map editor isn't as easy to use as 'add thing here'; there are all kinds of steps that need to be taken to make a map playable, which complicates the modding process. "It's not as simple as Unreal Editor," senior designer Anand Gupta points out. There's a lot of core data that needs to be taken into account, and while Firaxis is trying to make minor adjustments easier to make by shifting that data into places where it's easily accessible, it's not the same thing as a fully equipped mod kit. It's inching closer, and there's every possibility Firaxis might create that kit later; but for now, minor adjustments are the only ones dedicated players will be able to make.

Or, as De Angelis puts it, "I wouldn't say it's on the table currently but we never want to say never." Speaking as someone who's never had the patience to get into modding, but is fascinated by the idea, the thought of being able to put together blasted cities and alien crash sites for humans to investigate is mouth watering. Tweaks will do for now, but it'd be great to see mods on that table sooner rather than never.

XCOM: Enemy Within is due November 15th.

Source: PCGames N [http://www.pcgamesn.com/firaxis-never-say-never-xcom-mods-it-s-technically-possible]

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
Has he seen Xcom Nexus??

Yes, I admit it isn't nearly as extensive as Skyrim or Minecraft, but they still exist. Mostly GUI, graphical and some game play tweaks.

I LOVED XCOM and can't wait for the new DLC. Even after what Jim said.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
Guys Mod support is something you should have had in mind since before you started programming the darned thing and then you would have had mod support from day one and would not have had to waste time going back to change all that stuff and running into potential issues along the way
if Bethesda can do it so can you

Captcha History repeats itself
how true i just wonder who's history is being repeated here

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Renegade-pizza said:
Jim was actually supporting this type of DLC. It's content, and a hefty amount at that. What Jim hates are overpriced aesthetics, like charging $5 to turn your Codblops2 guns into bacon.

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
TiberiusEsuriens said:
Renegade-pizza said:
Jim was actually supporting this type of DLC. It's content, and a hefty amount at that. What Jim hates are overpriced aesthetics, like charging $5 to turn your Codblops2 guns into bacon.
Madness indeed! Saints Row ships bacon-flavored weaponry with the product!

Bindal

May 14, 2012
TiberiusEsuriens said:
Renegade-pizza said:
Actually, BO2 is the kind of pricing Jim approves of (2 bucks for a camo you can apply to any weapon and one of each type of recticle)

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
Ha

I've played about 5 heavily modded playthroughs of XCOM already that apparently "we can only dream of".

Just because there is no official mod support doesn't mean you can't mod it.

I've got my Resource Hacker for changing game values/balance, ToolBoks for modifying game mechanics/rules and a texture re-placer program I can't remember the original name of as I renamed it.

The only thing we can't do right now is add/change models.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
http://xcom.nexusmods.com/

Whoops!

Also, those minor alterations make a really, really big difference. Still, a good custom map pack would be nice.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
There are a few good mods already. But having more tools available would be absolutely awesome of course.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Angelous Wang said:
I think, that's what he's referring to. Next complete new things done from scratch like new mission types, new weapon-classes and new inventory-items WITHOUT removing any old ones.

Natdaprat

Sep 10, 2009
Angelous Wang said:
Ha

I've played about 5 heavily modded playthroughs of XCOM already that apparently "we can only dream of".

Just because there is no official mod support doesn't mean you can't mod it.

I've got my Resource Hacker for changing game values/balance, ToolBoks for modifying game mechanics/rules and a texture re-placer program I can't remember the original name of as I renamed it.

Yeah Firaxis really underestimate the community. We don't need hold handing or developer made 'mod kits' we just need a more open game that shouldn't be too hard for PC game development.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Oh, so you don't want us to have the SDK before the DLC is released? You fear that people might pirate it easier? Your DLCs will be worth less? Okay, we get, you're a bunch of money grabbing people.

With all the things being released for Xcom, the SDK is the only thing that's going to be worthwhile...hopefully free but we can all hope right? Oblivion has taught us all one thing, if you want cheat us with Horse armour, we'll make it ourselves.
TiberiusEsuriens said:
Oh, like the voice pack for the different nations? I'm just saying so, there are a lot of cosmetic changes in the upcoming DLC and hardly any filler .

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
You are kind of being full of shit, if you simply gave people the basic data structure they would do the rest, one should remember that most modders are also developers or on their way there.

SDK is nice but hardly a prerequisite when near all professional tools are freely available to the public.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
mad825 said:
Oh, so you don't want us to have the SDK before the DLC is released? You fear that people might pirate it easier? Your DLCs will be worth less? Okay, we get, you're a bunch of money grabbing people.

With all the things being released for Xcom, the SDK is the only thing that's going to be worthwhile...hopefully free but we can all hope right? Oblivion has taught us all one thing, if you want cheat us with Horse armour, we'll make it ourselves.
TiberiusEsuriens said:
Oh, like the voice pack for the different nations? I'm just saying so, there are a lot of cosmetic changes in the upcoming DLC and hardly any filler .
A prime example of a post, that is 100% blind hate, 0% proper research.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Oh God, please let this happen. It will help me fulfill my XCOM dream of giving my squad hats and replacing all their voices with clips from the TF2 classes.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Renegade-pizza said:
Madness indeed! Saints Row ships bacon-flavored weaponry with the product!
I don't know about SR4 (which I'm assuming you're talking about), but SR3 then sold you a bunch of minor on-disc content for 3 bucks apiece.

Bindal said:
Actually, BO2 is the kind of pricing Jim approves of (2 bucks for a camo you can apply to any weapon and one of each type of recticle)
Isn't it interesting seeing all the people with different ideas as to what Jim said on the matter? Myabe he really IS God.

Thank Jim for Jim!

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
If they did open the floodgates for the modding community I think it would only be a matter of time before we saw a Terror From The Deep total conversion. I probably will get the Enemy Within expansion. It does look like it is adding on to the current war with the aliens rather than setting up a new one, but that's fine. They can always make a full sequel at some point down the line.

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
Knight Captain Kerr said:
If they did open the floodgates for the modding community I think it would only be a matter of time before we saw a Terror From The Deep total conversion. I probably will get the Enemy Within expansion. It does look like it is adding on to the current war with the aliens rather than setting up a new one, but that's fine. They can always make a full sequel at some point down the line.
To me, and this just my opinion can very well be wrong. But I think Enemy Within is sort of a stop-gap expansion as they work on the sequel. Sort of like saying "Yeah the sequel is going to take longer than expected, have this to hold you over till then."

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
mods are always possible. heck, ive seen modders pick apart games graphical engine to update it to work with modern OS/GPU, you can always mod a game if you know how to invade its files. and msot games nowadays uses simple structures (like .big files), the key is decyphering the data.
Zachary Amaranth said:
Isn't it interesting seeing all the people with different ideas as to what Jim said on the matter? Myabe he really IS God.

Thank Jim for Jim!
In 2008 during a Podtoid episode Jim has anounced, that he is a perfect lifeform. This is undeniable truth and better than any religious following.