Stan Lee Joins LEGO Marvel Super Heroes Roster

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Stan Lee Joins LEGO Marvel Super Heroes Roster

LEGO Marvel Super Heroes won't only feature an iconic comic book writer; it's also making him one of its most powerful playable characters.

Stan Lee has always been a highly recognizable figure in the superhero world. Comic book fans have long considered him a co-creator of almost every major Marvel Universe character, including Spider-Man, Iron Man, the X-Men, Fantastic Four, Incredible Hulk, and more. These days, moviegoing audiences know him as "that guy with cameos in all those Marvel movies", a trend now extending into the world of videogames. Traveller's Tales recently revealed that Stan "The Man" Lee will make a very special appearance in LEGO Marvel Super Heroes, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121437-Lego-Marvel-Super-Heroes-Save-the-World-this-Fall>the game featuring every popular superhero he once wrote for. And we're not talking about a small NPC cameo appearance either; Stan Lee will be a playable character that adopts the powers of his many creations.

As fun as it may be to imagine a playable character using every conceivable superpower, in practice that's probably too unwieldy for a LEGO game. Given how Traveller's Tales usually designs LEGO characters, it's more likely that powers will be swapped out with alternate character models, just like the suit-switching mechanic from LEGO Batman. If you feel like playing Lee with mutant-based laser eyes, you'll activate the Cyclops powerset. If you want Lee to crush that puny Loki, you'd activate the Hulk, and so on. If that's the case, I imagine each power will be unlocked as you make in-game progress, or all at once post-credits for anyone planning a second playthrough.

While I'm personally more interested in LEGO Marvel Super Heroes' custom character designer, LEGO Stan Lee should still be an amusing diversion for the finished game. We'll find out when it finally launches in October for all current platforms, with PS4 and Xbox One releases following in November.

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
Seems warranted. This man has a damn good public relations manager or something. He's really made himself feel like a character of his own... if that makes any sense.

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
Stan Lee joins the cast of LEGO Marvel...

...and there was much rejoicing...

Love Stan Lee...wouldn't be a Marvel game without him...

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011

Excelsior, my dear Stan, Excelsior!

OT: Yay. Kicking ass while playing as a geriatric is one of my life goals.

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
It is completely impossible not to love Stan Lee. He talks about Marvel characters like he's a little kid who loves the comics.

Craig Ferguson

Dec 30, 2011
And... this news means I will NOT be buying this game.

I may be alone in my feelings but... I HATE STAN LEE.

Sure, ages ago he(and several other people) made up(ripped off) a bunch of super heroes.

Now? Now he's an old man who hasn't added anything but his useless mug to movies, and cartoons(dear god... he is and agent of shield in the new Spiderman....). He's wasted lots of other people's time AND money on his stupid cameos.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I'd be surprised if he wasn't in the game, to be honest.

MrGalactus said:
It is completely impossible not to love Stan Lee
*cough*

Craig Ferguson said:
I think you two have some discussin' to do.

Cecilo

Nov 18, 2011
Craig Ferguson said:
And... this news means I will NOT be buying this game.

Sure, ages ago he(and several other people) made up(ripped off) a bunch of super heroes.

Now? Now he's an old man who hasn't added anything but his useless mug to movies, and cartoons(dear god... he is and agent of shield in the new Spiderman....). He's wasted lots of other people's time AND money on his stupid cameos.
Well, you really should hold Stan Lee in some higher regard, he helped reform the comic code, which is essentially a more draconian version of the ESRB. Anything without the Comic Code's Seal of approval was almost doomed to fail, Stan Lee helped co-author an Amazing Spider-Man issue that dealt with social pressures of Drugs and Alcohol, when the Comic Code refused to give the comic it's seal of approval Stan Lee published it anyway, thanks to Mr. Lee's connections it sold very well, this lead to reforms in the Comic Code and more freedom for comics and their story lines, this solidified the idea that comics could be more than just "For Children".

Further, despite what you think Marvel's characters are not rip offs of DC's. Marvel heroes and villains tend to have character flaws and this was a creative decision by the early Marvel team. Where as DC chose to have heroes and villains who were almost flawless super-people, now that may not be you particular cup of tea and that is fine but you can't say that they are ripped off from DC, they are nothing alike.

In Short, Marvel Heroes - What people could be, and what normal people could go through.
DC heroes - People to aspire to, role models.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
... Huh, I knew about this weeks ago.

What intrigued me was that the COO of Marvel & the Editor-In-Chief are going to be in the game too apparently.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
I'd really love a Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko cameo as well but I reckon those are both kinda impossible. Sad times.