Pokemon X and Y Gives Mega Evolutions to Original Starters

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Pokemon X and Y Gives Mega Evolutions to Original Starters

Charizard, Venusaur and Blastoise, will play a large role in the new game, and have all been given new Mega Evolution forms.

No matter how many Pokemon games they make, the undisputed fact is that the original 3 starters, Charmander, Squirtle and Bulbasaur, are still the best. Eclipsed only by that little yellow rat in popularity, these Pokemon are so beloved that Game Freak have decided that the new Professor in Pokemon X and Y will offer you a choice between the original starters from Red and Blue, rather than the game's new starters as is the tradition. In order to make these special Pokemon even more special, they will each receive one of the new "Mega Evolutions" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escapist-news-now/7922-Mega-Evolution-in-Pokemon-X-and-Y].

Say hello to Mega Charizard, Mega Venusaur and Mega Blastoise, and man do they look awesome. It was revealed that Mega Evolutions occurs when the trainer's bracelet, called a Mega ring, connects with the Mega stone a Pokemon holds. Mega Evolutions are related to a trainer's "bond" with their Pokemon, so we can probably assume increasing your Pokemon's happiness will be essential to unlocking it's Mega Evolution.

The Mega versions of the Kanto starters join Mega Blaziken, Mega Absol, Mega Mawile, Mega Mewtwo, Mega Lucario and Mega Ampharos in the growing list of confirmed Mega Evoltions. Each evolution will require its own Mega stone, and thus far, only the source of Blaziken's Mega stone (which will be available via a distribution event) is known.

While the new game's professor will be giving you one of the original starters, the player character's best friend will gift you one of the new game's starters, meaning players can double up with their starters.

Source: YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtofHJgv3O0]

Chaosian

Mar 26, 2011
What's with these watches? I feel this is more of an old Digimon idea than a Pokemon one.

Alcom1

Jun 19, 2013
Mega Blastoise reminds me of the Battletech Stone Rhino...

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
You mean, we get to go back to the good old starters and make them more awesome? Could this game get any better?

Maybe if I get to ride my Venusaur around the cities. It won't happen, but still.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
I was 12 when Pokemon red and blue came out. I loved it. 17 years later...I think I might pick these up too.
Jeez, it's been 17 years since Pokemon was released. That's crazy.

nasteypenguin

Mar 2, 2011
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
The Power Rangers poses for morphing their Pokemon made me crack up.

They can't be serious, can they?

Face it, if this was ANY OTHER SERIES, people would be taking the piss out of this until their bladder collapsed.
Not quite true, if it was any non-kids thing people would be calling it an 'homage,' and in any kids thing it would just be cliche. Off the top of my head you've got Power Rangers, Sailor Moon, Digimon, Ben 10, Danny Phantom, He-Man all doing some sort of on the fly transformation and half of them even use a bracelet. My question is whether they think their doing a reference for the older players or they're just being uncreative.

Riotguards

Feb 1, 2013
anyone else feel that blastoise should have used the big cannon on his back as the main move instead of hydropump

and is it supposed to look exactly how digimon evolutions went about?

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Alcom1 said:
Fuckin' loved that mech. MechWarrior 2: Ghost Bears Legacy, good times.

To the matter at hand; while I appreciate the Mega Evolutions, new names for each of them would have been a nice touch and I'm sad to say it, but I can't quite tell the difference between vanilla Venusaur and Mega Venusaur.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Pokemon
Pocket Monsters
Pokemon are the Champions

*runs out of thread giggling*

IREGRETNOTHIIIIING.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
But I love Charmander... but I've already decided on Fenniken!
I'll have two fire types on my team.... that's unbalanced.

As for Mega Evolutions, Mega Absol is the only one I actually care for so far, but Absol needed some love.

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
Where's my blastoises super saiyan hair? Awww, he just gets a mega cannon on his back...

Feb 22, 2009
There's also some kind of promotion where you can get a Torchic right? May end up with a Torchic, a Squirtle and a whatever the hell the grass one is for this gen. Half my team sorted from the get-go.

The Ubermensch

Mar 6, 2012
Well, I'm sold on Pokedigi Rangers

Well actually no, this is horrible, but I'll put up with it for the ability to take down those damn dragon teams with a bunch of fairies.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
I had such high hopes for this game, but most of the new announcements seem to be killing that. I don't like Mega Evo's and we all know the only decent one of the original starters was Squirtle. I'm planning on ditching it as soon as I can anyway though. I hope the core game is still decent under all the mega evolutions and other crap.

At least Chespin is still looking interesting, right?

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
Can we see the evolutions of the starters next please?

Seriously it's coming out in just over a month and it'd be real nice to see what they look like.

Johann610

Nov 20, 2009
Alcom1 said:
Ah. It's been tooo long since this 100-ton siege tool lumbered onto my screen. What was it? Ghost Bear's Legacy? [sigh]

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
I'm still on the fence about mega-evolution.
On one hand, the power ranger's pose is ridiculous and the temporary nature of it all echos digimon.
But at the same time this can prove to be an interesting change in the series and if done well a refreshing one since the main series hasn't changed up the formula much since Gold/Silver.