Final Fantasy XIV Will Support Remote Play Next Year

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Final Fantasy XIV Will Support Remote Play Next Year

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn players can play solo in remote play.

Producer Naoki Yoshida from Square Enix revealed to Famitsu that players can use the remote play option with the Vita and PlayStation 4 to play Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. In remote play, players can harvest or produce goods and level up.

"Also, it's not like you cannot progress in the game if you don't play with a party," Yoshida told Famitsu. "You can play quests by yourself bit by bit and level up." He said remote play was suitable for relaxing and doing solo actions, such as fishing. He likened remote play as a more calming play style whereas sitting in front of a monitor and teaming up with others is useful when players are feeling like, "Let's form a party and go to a dungeon!"

"Depending on whether you feel like playing at a certain time or on a certain day, you can select between relaxing play or giving it your all," Yoshida said. "I think expanding those options itself is something new."

Yoshida has also considered adding a second screen app with a "Realm Reborn Lodestone" database. Second screen functionality has become more and more of a consideration for game developers in the past year.

The PS4 version of Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn will be available next year. Yoshida recently apologized [http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/73680 ] for the number of difficulties players have faced during the game's launch this past week.

Source: Kotaku [http://www.famitsu.com/news/201309/06039232.html]

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
*raises eyebrows* That...actually sounds like something I'd be interested in...

...Yeah... okay Square Enix, I'm in. When I can finally get a copy and try this game my friends are incessantly insisting, is much better than the circus you presented first time around.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Charli said:
*raises eyebrows* That...actually sounds like something I'd be interested in...

...Yeah... okay Square Enix, I'm in. When I can finally get a copy and try this game my friends are incessantly insisting, is much better than the circus you presented first time around.
The Escapist group is on Malboro, if you do get your hands on it. They've still suspended sales right now, as far as I know though.

I play on PC, and don't have a smartphone (gasp!) so this isn't really important to me, but will hopefully do a lot of good in adding players down the line who just want the casual, community aspect available. I like crafting in this game - it can get pretty deep. And I've been seriously considering taking up fishing, except that I don't get a lot of playtime.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Malboro, got it, sadly my little conglomerate of groupies are on... I think it's Odin.

They did badger me about getting a copy on day one, but I was too jaded by the upset of the first game in which I only tested through a friends account. Now I'm almost kinda regretting it a little, but I'll have time to get into all that when the digtial sales are back on. (They're still not, SE better get on this fast while their hot streak is still hot or I'll get distracted by WoW's patch 5.4 which is coming out this Tuesday/Wednesday)

It would be nice to have an MMO-lite thing like this to fiddle with on the go.