Xbox One/SmartGlass Improve Second Screen Functionality

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Xbox One/SmartGlass Improve Second Screen Functionality

Xbox One SmartGlass plans to "mature" from Xbox 360.

Microsoft plans to make a new and improved second screen experience for the Xbox One, improving from the Xbox 360 SmartGlass. SmartGlass is a free downloadable app on smartphones, laptops, and tablets to as an add-on to the Xbox One. It will be available this holiday season for Windows 8, Windows Phone 8, iOS, and Android devices.

Ron Pessner, Xbox Live General Manager, said in the announcement, "SmartGlass is maturing with the evolution of Xbox 360 to Xbox One. Xbox One was designed from the ground up with SmartGlass in mind." The SmartGlass recognizes and connects with the Xbox One in about four seconds, about three and a half times faster than SmartGlass on the Xbox 360.

In addition, 16 SmartGlass devices can connect to the Xbox One. "An interesting implementation of this would be playing poker with friends or maybe an MMORPG where there can be lots of hands in the pot," Pessner said. "We're excited to see where developers take this and the new gaming experiences they'll create by tying together more devices than before."

Dead Rising 3 already has SmartGlass as a companion. In the game, the app turns a phone with the app into an extension of the game world by becoming an in-game phone.

Pessner is excited to see how developers will use SmartGlass with Xbox one games. "We're seeing scenarios where SmartGlass can be used for methods of game control...but it has to be the right fit for the right game to use SmartGlass as a dedicated controller."

Source: Xbox Wire [http://news.xbox.com/2013/09/ent-xbox-one-smartglass]

PirateRose

Aug 13, 2008
Now if they could just fix the Xbox app and the Cloud functionality on their Win8 Phones so the program will quit duplicating each song 3 or 4 times. I've seen complaints of songs being duplicated up to twelve times and even pictures getting duplicated.

The only way to stop the duplication, is turn off the Xbox and Cloud functionality.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
That's adorable.
Here's what this will do for you if you don't have a smartphone:

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
roseofbattle said:
The SmartGlass recognizes and connects with the Xbox One in about four seconds, about three and a half times faster than SmartGlass on the Xbox 360.
I downloaded SmartGlass to try it out, but after taking up to half a minute to connect each time it just wasn't worth it. Never used it again, and have yet to see a reason to. That 30 seconds wasn't just for the first connect, but EVERY time the screen unlocks. Spending 100% of your focus playing on SmartGlass isn't a problem. That never happens, though, so instead each time we think "Oh this is a great spot to use smart glass, let me get that real quick" we then have to pull out our phone, unlock, and let xbox re-sync. Unless you can make a product/game that convinces someone to play the 3rd wheel non-stop the idea is fundamentally flawed.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
And I need a second screen in my fuckin' hand while I'm playing a game with a controller that requires two hands for holding, why exactly?

It's an unnecessary complication. And they're gonna attach exclusive shit to it that you otherwise won't be able to use in your $60 game. Well done, Microsoft.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Sad part is this shit will probably catch on due to trendy spazoid mobile kids... the only hope was MS being retarded enough to make is Windows phone exclusive which no living soul has, but now that they got wise to that fact this shit will be all over the place.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Now, I'd be all for having multiplayer capability with several devices. The problem is, there's basically NO GAMES ANYMORE which have non-internet multiplayer. Even shit for which it would make sense, like saint's row or borderlands (I mean really, if Donkey Kong 64 could successfully have 4 screens, even on tvs which weren't 50+ inches, borderlands can manage 4 screens).

Makes me sad that the wii and halo of duty are the only entities that seem to support this anymore.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
loa said:
That's adorable.
Here's what this will do for you if you don't have a smartphone:
The don't care if you lack a fiber optic internet connection. Why would it even OCCUR to them you don't have a smartphone?

And another thing, my smartphone's battery already sucks. Why would I want to burn through it like four times as fast?

Savino

Feb 6, 2013
When the wiimote was a thing was understandabe that every single company in the world tries to copy, but now that the gamepad is a flop, why those people are tying to copy nintendo?!

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
ZZoMBiE13 said:
Ah. I see the internet's Microsoft Hate Pump hasn't dried up yet.
It will stop as soon as Microsoft stops giving ammo. Which may take a while.
Yeah. How dare they outline Smart Glass functionality. Those bastards and their... free app. I'll get my garrote wire.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
ZZoMBiE13 said:
ZZoMBiE13 said:
Yeah. How dare they outline Smart Glass functionality. Those bastards and their... free app. I'll get my garrote wire.
The thing is, it is entirely useless most of the time, and connects poorly when it does work at all.
The thing is, the article as presented is about how they are attempting to improve upon what it currently is and they hope developers will make use of it. You nor I nor anyone knows what it will actually be when the X1 comes out, but the great internet knee-jerk hate reflex for all things Microsoft related goes into overdrive regardless of the actual topic or the content of the article. It may in fact continue to be the shitty useless pile that it currently is from now on, but that was never the point of the article or really anyone's reaction to it.

This isn't aimed at you sir (sir? I don't mean to assume. Forgive me if I'm wrong), it's just getting a little old is all. I'm interested in both of the new machines, but there's never really a chance for any real discussion about them. The minute any news article with MS in the title is posted (not just here, it's all over the place right now) the comments and often even the article proper are just dripping with snark and derision.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
ZZoMBiE13 said:
ZZoMBiE13 said:
ZZoMBiE13 said:
The thing is, it is entirely useless most of the time, and connects poorly when it does work at all.
The thing is, the article as presented is about how they are attempting to improve upon what it currently is and they hope developers will make use of it. You nor I nor anyone knows what it will actually be when the X1 comes out, but the great internet knee-jerk hate reflex for all things Microsoft related goes into overdrive regardless of the actual topic or the content of the article. It may in fact continue to be the shitty useless pile that it currently is from now on, but that was never the point of the article or really anyone's reaction to it.

This isn't aimed at you sir (sir? I don't mean to assume. Forgive me if I'm wrong), it's just getting a little old is all. I'm interested in both of the new machines, but there's never really a chance for any real discussion about them. The minute any news article with MS in the title is posted (not just here, it's all over the place right now) the comments and often even the article proper are just dripping with snark and derision.
The reason for the hate is Microsoft tried to release the most blatantly anti-consumer product ever created, acted like this was a product that we needed when it was developed for consumers third in line behind publishers and advertisers, refused to turn back until the bloody Today Show lampooned how ridiculous it was, and to this day refuses to admit that stripping the rights of customers was a BAD thing. People aren't dumb. Microsoft has shown the willingness to strip customer's rights at a instant's notice, and signs point to them doing that a few months after Xbone is released.
Yes. Thank you. I am aware of the E3 debacle. And people were in their rights to complain about it. I complained about it. That was a reasonable reaction to a bad situation.

But we both know that at this point, long after policies have been reversed and 24 hour check ins are a thing of the past, this is not consumer outcry. It's fanboy circle jerking for the sake of keeping the hate going. You could post an article about Microsoft funding no-kill animal shelters and half the comments will be "XBONE IS CRAP!" replies.

I know this is the internet, I know everything is crap and it all sucks and blah blah blah. I just figured that it would die down by now to the point where reasonable people could have a conversation.

theaudioprophet

Jun 19, 2013
I used it for Forza Horizon and got a map screen which was immediately rendered useless by the map already onscreen. If all they can offer is available in-game anyway... ah who cares anymore

Nice one Microsoft

satsugaikaze

Feb 26, 2011
ZZoMBiE13 said:
Yes. Thank you. I am aware of the E3 debacle. And people were in their rights to complain about it. I complained about it. That was a reasonable reaction to a bad situation.

But we both know that at this point, long after policies have been reversed and 24 hour check ins are a thing of the past, this is not consumer outcry. It's fanboy circle jerking for the sake of keeping the hate going. You could post an article about Microsoft funding no-kill animal shelters and half the comments will be "XBONE IS CRAP!" replies.

I know this is the internet, I know everything is crap and it all sucks and blah blah blah. I just figured that it would die down by now to the point where reasonable people could have a conversation.
These days, I play a little personal game where I go onto the comments section for every Xbox One article here on the Escapist and count the number of posts it takes for someone to offer their incredibly original and fresh take on how this new revelation makes the Xbox One console objectively terrible, or how they're "still not going to buy it".

I don't usually get very far!