Xbox One Infographic Keeps It Simple, Sir

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Xbox One Infographic Keeps It Simple, Sir

Microsoft has apparently decided that big letters and small words are the best way to explain that the Xbox One is "your" console.

The Xbox One has had what you might call a bit of a messaging problem since its rollout at E3. Like, for instance, the message that if you don't have a reliable, always-on internet connection, you're a loser. Or that if you're interested in backward-compatibility, you're a loser. Want to share your games? Loo-hoo-hooser. Microsoft has made a number of changes to the system since but that big E3 presentation is a big hurdle to overcome, and from where I sit it hasn't exactly taken a focused, coherent approach to the problem.

Enter "Fun Fact Friday," a collection of Microsoft's "favorite facts" about the Xbox One that explain very clearly and concisely exactly what you can do with the thing. And not only are the fun facts listed on the Xbox Wire, they're also presented in a big, bold infographic, complete with a picture of some guy about to be skewered. I would've thought that Microsoft could have come up with a better game than Ryse to build this thing around, but hey, I'm not a highly-paid marketing pro.

[gallery=1759]

Some of this stuff isn't exactly revolutionary - the ability to pause your game is hardly dark sorcery - but putting it together like this is smart. While Microsoft talked and dithered and explained, Sony scored big points by keeping it simple with stuff like this [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124817-PlayStation-4-Game-Sharing-This-Is-How-Its-Done]. It's a bit late in the game to figure it out but compared to what Microsoft has done so far, it's a smart step to take.

Source: Xbox Wire [http://news.xbox.com/2013/09/xbox-one-fun-fact-friday-games]

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Could someone edit the infographic to reflect reality, please? I'm sure the Escapist has some talented 'Shoppers.

Some of it is dead simple. Like removing the "y" from "Your Xbox One".

Edit: I just want to thank everyone who made a submission! I honestly didn't expect such amazing responses! Thank you for giving me some serious lulz.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
The 'You don't need to be online to play games' seems a bit false considering they're pushing developers to use cloud computing as one of their 'features'

They probably do need to clear things up, because I'm still hearing people further down the information chain unaware of the u-turn, but saying that whenever I see a piece of marketing talking about basic features all the available consoles have, it still feels like a scramble. I guess their mistake is far reaching in consequence

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
We designed Xbone to be YOUR XBONE
*scrolls down*

Your call. You can play games online or offline*. It's up to you
Erm, I may be mistaken but Microsoft designed the Xbone to require an internet connection. Oh hold on there was an asterisk wasn't there.

*reads small print*

I see that apprently you DO need an internet connection if you buy an Xbone.

The only times you need an internet connection are for initial setup of Xbone...
So nice of them to point that out.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
"It's your choice to abide by our bog-standard features."

Yeah, right. I wasn't a fan of the original DRM policy, but the fact that Microsoft is stuck trying to push ordinary components of any game system - PCs included - forward as revolutionary elements reeks of desperation.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
You Xbone, Our Xbone, the NSA's Xbone, a camera in every house!

I can't wait for Microsoft to try to re-instate the online 'features' a year or so from now. They will, they're more than bone headed enough.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
'YOUR GAMES: TRADE, RENT, LOAN, GIFT OR SELL ANY GAME DISC. IT WORKS JUST LIKE IT DOES TODAY ON XBOX 360'

Wow, that's a good idea, guys. I can see why you pulled that out as a major feature too, because it's important. Imagine the disaster if you'd been dumb enough to make that not work any more.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
To be honest the only innovation I am seeing there is the ability to play games while they are downloading (a very neat feature, if one that has limited actual use)

And the ability to play your own game library from another Xbox One as long as you are signed in (although I don't know if there are any downsides to that like having to stream games from an external server or something.)
Griffolion said:
Could someone edit the infographic to reflect reality, please? I'm sure the Escapist has some talented 'Shoppers.

Although I am far from an experienced Photoshopper, I'll give it a go (might take a while)

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I'll keep it simple then, Microsoft.

NO*

I'm glad we could make that decision easy.

*NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
My personal favorite from that graphic is YOUR SCHEDULE. In extra bold, "With Xbox One, you can suspend and resume gameplay instantly, even in the middle of battle."

Woah, guys. Hold the phone, because this is off the hook! Xbox One is implementing the revolutionary pause menu. Remember all those times since playing Atari 2600 that we wished to temporarily suspend our game, but were unable to do so? Remember how we were at the mercy of all those vile machines that prevented us from making nachos during our 30 hour stint of the latest Final Fantasy? You may not, but Microsoft sure does!

sirjeffofshort

Oct 2, 2012
Griffolion said:

Done and done...

[http://s250.photobucket.com/user/sirjeffofshort/media/593457-1.jpg.html]

Full graphic gets a bit racy, but it's below...

DISCLAIMER: Personally not favoring any one system over another. It's just a joke.

[http://s250.photobucket.com/user/sirjeffofshort/media/593457-2.jpg.html]

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
TiberiusEsuriens said:
My personal favorite from that graphic is YOUR SCHEDULE. In extra bold, "With Xbox One, you can suspend and resume gameplay instantly, even in the middle of battle."

Woah, guys. Hold the phone, because this is off the hook! Xbox One is implementing the revolutionary pause menu. Remember all those times since playing Atari 2600 that we wished to temporarily suspend our game, but were unable to do so? Remember how we were at the mercy of all those vile machines that prevented us from making nachos during our 30 hour stint of the latest Final Fantasy? You may not, but Microsoft sure does!
Yeah that blew my mind. When they feel the need to say you can pause games you know they're in dire straits. It's so crazy I can't even be sarcastic about how stupid it is.

About the only cool thing on there is being able to play games while they download, even steam doesn't let you do that. Other than that it's all crap.
sirjeffofshort said:
Griffolion said:

/snip
If I had a medal I'd give you one, that is beautiful.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Xan Krieger said:
About the only cool thing on there is being able to play games while they download, even steam doesn't let you do that. Other than that it's all crap.
Yeah, everyone has been chasing this 'download while you play' thing, but to varying degrees of success. Since both PS4 and XBone will be implementing it I expect to see more consistent strides in that direction. Blizzard has been doing it for a year or two, but to the point where you can't really call it that. If I have to download a 500MB patch, and wait till it is 75% complete to play it doesn't really count.

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
sirjeffofshort said:
Griffolion said:

Done and done...

DISCLAIMER: Personally not favoring any one system over another. It's just a joke.

[http://s250.photobucket.com/user/sirjeffofshort/media/593457.jpg.html]
Brilliantly done, sir. Can I suggest "You're Welcome" instead of "Your Welcome." I only pick the nit because it was so fun to read overall.

theApoc

Oct 17, 2008
I seriously do not get the gripes...

Digital Distribution: You can't have it both ways. The convenience of digital distribution comes with the realization that YOU DO NOT OWN CONTENT, never have, never will. A physical disc is a license key, nothing more. It allows you to play, watch, listen to someone else's content. You bought a license, not the rights to the content. In the old days, you sold your disc, you sold your license, but with the advent of digital media, well now you are kind of saying, I own the content, I can profit from it's sale, while retaining my ability to use it. It is not crazy or tyrannical to think that publishers don't exactly like this idea.

Limitations on the transfer physical media: See above. You do not OWN the content.

Always Online: This is one of the silliest gripes I have seen. PC games have gone this direction, again to protect their content, yet MS is the bad guy for thinking the convenience of a constant connection and everything it allows is somehow good for the consumer... Yeah, shame on them.

The whole digital market is finding its footing IMO. The change is inevitable, and that is not a bad thing. What we really should be upset about is the idea that digital distribution should cost the same or more than physical distribution. Amazon, MS, Sony, etc... They are making money hand over fist because of this, and they would get a lot less complaining if they charged less.

Would you be so upset about "always on-line" or "single console licenses" if new games, full games, cost half as much as a physical disc? Would you trade your ability to buy sell and trade used, if you got the content for half the price?

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
I like how people are saying this is so silly and not needed, while half the posts are outright disagreeing with this official MS statement.

Clearly if you many people think it does things differently than MS is saying it will, then it WAS needed, wasnt it?

The pausing thing got super simplified, and people are jumping on the hate train. Since you know, it refers to the ability to pause a game, dashboard it, run some apps to check your sport scores, catch up on a bit of TV, head out for a break. Then come back and relaunch the game to the same point.

But hey, why take 30 seconds to look into something, when you can just gain instant credit by hating on MS/EA/Bioware. This is the Escapist.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Hero in a half shell said:
To be honest the only innovation I am seeing there is the ability to play games while they are downloading (a very neat feature, if one that has limited actual use)

And the ability to play your own game library from another Xbox One as long as you are signed in (although I don't know if there are any downsides to that like having to stream games from an external server or something.)
Considering you can do that on a PS3 now without streaming it would be pretty bad if they didn't manage to keep to the standards of the last gen. And the downloading thing is done by the PS4 as well. The infographic basically isn't there to give you any reason to buy an Xbox, it's doing damage control on all the reasons there were not to buy an Xbox

mKeRix

May contain sarcasm
Oct 17, 2010
Elijin said:
I like how people are saying this is so silly and not needed, while half the posts are outright disagreeing with this official MS statement.

Clearly if you many people think it does things differently than MS is saying it will, then it WAS needed, wasnt it?

The pausing thing got super simplified, and people are jumping on the hate train. Since you know, it refers to the ability to pause a game, dashboard it, run some apps to check your sport scores, catch up on a bit of TV, head out for a break. Then come back and relaunch the game to the same point.

But hey, why take 30 seconds to look into something, when you can just gain instant credit by hating on MS/EA/Bioware. This is the Escapist.
So much this. Whatever Microsoft does, you keep on hating about it.
Here's the thing: Yes, it's not innovative, the PS4 isn't either. Who's fault is that? Yours. The customer is the only reason the XBox One is just a newer (and slightly cooler) XBox 360, and the PS4 is just a PS 3.5. Microsoft's original system was innovative, enabling you to share games with people by pressing one button, opening up completely new possibilities which were based on the base idea of Steam. But oh no, the bad criminal MS is just trying to screw us over again. If you don't trust them with what they do, which could have a few reasons, then don't complain about them not being innovative. In fact, I'll stick with what some market analysts said: The XBone is ahead of the customers, which are simply not ready to face something new.
Apart from some hate that is completely nonsense on here, it was the right decision to put out an infographic like that, because that shows the customer what's really up and not what some self claimed console professional rants on about.

I would also like to remind all you guys of the fact that you have never even touched an XBone so far, and you have never even seen the PS4 in action as well. So just quit the hating now, would you?

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
sirjeffofshort said:
Griffolion said:

Done and done...

[http://s250.photobucket.com/user/sirjeffofshort/media/593457-1.jpg.html]

Full graphic gets a bit racy, but it's below...

[http://s250.photobucket.com/user/sirjeffofshort/media/593457.jpg.html]
Ahhh, it's moments like this that make The Escapist worthwhile.
I tip my hat to you sir!

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
So the features, from top to bottom, are:

"Your Choice" - This works like the XBox360
"Your Games" - This works like the XBox360
"Your Time" - One of two actually new features.
"Your Call" - This works like the XBox360*
"Your Schedule" - This works like the XBox360
"Your Stuff" - This works like the XBox360
"Your Family" - The other feature that is actually new.

*Except slightly worse because needed for initial setup.

So on the entire thing, exactly two of these are actually selling points, an both are kinda peripheral at best.