Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect Trailer Goes All-In With 90s-Style FMV

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect Trailer Goes All-In With 90s-Style FMV

Tex Murphy is back - and I mean, Tex Murphy is back - with a new eight-minute trailer that resurrects the FMV-loving 90s in all its cheesy glory.

The Tex Murphy guys wrapped up a successful Kickstarter [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/texmurphy/tex-murphy-project-fedora] last June, raising nearly $600,000 to fund the creation of a new adventure entitled Tesla Effect. Big Finish, the studio behind the game, has since signed a publishing deal with Atlus which will allow it to "more fully develop its vision," but even with the addition of a proper publisher that vision quite obviously remains undiluted.

What do I mean by that? Just watch this video and all will be clear. Tesla Effect isn't just like the 90s, it is the 90s, specifically the brief era when full-motion video, powered by the miracle of CD-ROM drives, was all the rage. Low-rent green-screening, cheesy dialog, over-the-top scenery-chewing - all that and more, Tesla Effect looks set to deliver.

I don't know if this is something I'll actually end up playing - I was never much of a Tex Murphy fan - but this trailer sure is a lot more fun than that texmurphy.com [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127639-Call-of-Duty-Ghosts-Campaign-Trailer-Brings-The-Fight-into-Space].

Trujkin

Nov 12, 2002
I grew up with Tex, and I have many fond memories of these games. Exciting tho see folks are still interested in the adventures, and I hope this is a solid return to the genre.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Looks phenomenal! Impressive in-game locations. I'm looking forward to this one.

Trilaanus

Jul 18, 2010
The trailer/promo looks fabulous. I'm sure that if it's "cheesy" at all, it'll be a good cheesy. Look at the quality of video and lighting in it!