Breaking Bad Spinoff Series Greenlit by AMC

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Breaking Bad Spinoff Series Greenlit by AMC

Better Call Saul isn't just an iconic catch-phrase, it's a working title for Breaking Bad's upcoming prequel.

Watching the final episodes of a beloved television show is usually bittersweet: You don't want the series to end, but you also know that if keeps going, eventually it'll start to suck. That's why the AMC drama Breaking Bad is ending this month at its height, before Walter White's convoluted schemes start to lose their luster. That being said, AMC isn't quite ready to say goodbye to Breaking Bad's extended cast just yet. The network thinks fan-favorite character Saul Goodman could be the star of a recently greenlit Breaking Bad prequel, currently using the working title Better Call Saul!

For any readers not following Breaking Bad right now (all six of you), Goodman is a criminal defense lawyer with a special emphasis on the "criminal" side of his practice. Played by Bob Odenkirk, Goodman filled a much-needed comic relief role across several tense storylines, quickly becoming one of Breaking Bad's most popular characters. Better Call Saul, if all goes as planned, would be a one-hour prequel series exploring how Goodman became the disreputably charming scumbag fans know and love.

Series creator Vince Gilligan and writer-producer Peter Gould have long considered a prequel spinoff, but I remain skeptical about its prospects. Goodman's character worked very well as a foil to Walter White's sinister nature, but that doesn't mean Goodman's cheesy demeanor can carry an entire series on its own. Hopefully I'll feel differently once a pilot airs, but at least making Better Call Saul a prequel helps avoid Breaking Bad spoilers. You know, just in case Goodman ends up in a tub of hydrofluoric acid during the September 29th finale.

Source: <a href=http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/breaking-bad-spin-moving-forward-627406>Hollywood Reporter

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Well it certainly is an interesting concept. Better Call Saul...well time will tell to see if it works.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I mean, I like Saul as much as the next guy but I am skeptical as well. Hell, my mom even commented on this news saying, "Well that's queer!"

Take that for what it's worth XD

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
How dare you even imply such things! Walt wouldn't ever send Saul to Belize, he needs him AND has him well tamed. As soon as Huell went missing, Saul told WW. He fears Walt too mug, and Walt knows it. Huell though might end up in a few barrels though...

OT: I trust the creators on this and can't wait. Though a Pinkman prequel would have been cool too, back when he was Captain Cook, using Chili P. Or Mike!

why isn't Mike getting a spinoff?! Oh man... Missed opportunity there.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
martyrdrebel27 said:
why isn't Mike getting a spinoff?! Oh man... Missed opportunity there.
Well, since this is a prequel, this may explain how Saul got to know Mike, so you never know, he may be in it. I seriously hope that he is.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
If they don't keep the title as Better Call Saul, there is no justice in the world

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Didn't all these BReaking Bad fans say the whole, "Well at least it's ending now rather than being dragged out to sputter and die?" Well looks like Walter's story will be over, but the franchise is far from done.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Eh, he's a funny character but this just seems like a cash grab to keep milking the Breaking Bad popularity. I'm sure it will be worth watching and funny enough but is it really necessary?

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Ishal said:
Didn't all these BReaking Bad fans say the whole, "Well at least it's ending now rather than being dragged out to sputter and die?" Well looks like Walter's story will be over, but the franchise is far from done.
That's fine by me. A show starring Saul would be fundamentally different from Breaking Bad (probably more of a comedy). A spinoff is a great way to breathe new life into characters without limiting yourself to a writing style that's nearing the end of its freshness. It worked great with Frasier, Pinky and the Brain, and okay with The Jeffersons... and don't forget an entire, amazing DCAU spawned from Batman: The Animated Series.

P.S. Thanks

Cursed Frogurt

Aug 17, 2010
Ah, that's something I didn't consider. This might mean more of MY favorite character on the show, Mike Ehrmantraut.

Toadfish1

May 28, 2013
I think this could work if they just worked it as a sitcom. Odenkirk is a comedy actor, the character is the comedy relief, and if he cuts all ties to the drama of the universe, trying to manufacture some more drama to keep up a tone will just feel forced.

Just make it the wacky exploits of a craaaazy lawyer, and throw in a episode where, through a zany misunderstanding, he accidentally has sex with a 90 year old woman.

And an episode where he goes to Utah. What zaniness will come of that?