Fox News Begins Two-Part Series Linking Games to Mass Murder

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Fox News Begins Two-Part Series Linking Games to Mass Murder

The news network harps on murder simulators like it's 1999.

Now that gaming has seeped into the masses by way of smartphones and Angry Birds, you'd think that the moral panic over video games has subsided. While that might be true, it's not going to stop people from trying to exploit remaining pockets of susceptibility anyways. [a href=http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/09/12/training-simulation-mass-killers-often-share-obsession-with-violent-video-games/]Today's example[/a] comes courtesy of Fox News, who's started a two-part feature entitled "'Training simulation:' Mass killers often share obsession with violent video games".

If the headline didn't give it away, the article isn't exactly in favor of violence in gaming. Various people with fancy titles mention various headline mass murders with tenuous connections to popular games at the time. Doom, Mortal Kombat, and Grand Theft Auto all get time in the moral panic spotlight. Important factors like availability of guns and mental illness are forgotten in favor of lines like: "Three more recent killers... all were active video game players."

However, the article does end with Dr. Doug Gentile, who's quoted as being rather reasonable. "I think it's the wrong question -- whether there is a link between mass shootings and violent video game play... I understand people want to look for a culprit, but the truth of the matter is that there is never one cause." Clearly, Dr. Gentile isn't thinking about the children!

The second installment is supposed to explore the "ultrarealism" in modern games.

Source: [a href=http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/09/12/training-simulation-mass-killers-often-share-obsession-with-violent-video-games/]Fox News[/a]

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
I can't say much that hasn't already been said, All I can say is,"Getting tired of you crap man."

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I'm not touching this one, and neither should you. I don't care anymore. Let's ignore them together and play our violent video games. Let's not actually engage in a meaningful rebuttal of this meaningless crap.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Good thing I play Microsoft Flight Sim all the time. I think I'm ready to be a pilot.

To be honest, I'm really not shocked or angered or anything by this. It's like an overused meme by this point. No one cares unless they are new to the information.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
One would think Fox would be a good standard to measure stupidity, but I think doing so lowers the bar too much.

That said, I don't think you should link their site. The last thing we want is to direct traffic towards them.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
You know what? The only way we're going to get Fox News to shut up is if we get together, buy them out, and shut them down permanently. If we can do that, it would show just how tired we are of the sensationalist shit we have to deal with every day that comes from them and other news outlets.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Dr.Awkward said:
You know what? The only way we're going to get Fox News to shut up is if we get together, buy them out, and shut them down permanently. If we can do that, it would show just how tired we are of the sensationalist shit we have to deal with every day that comes from them and other news outlets.
Ooh! Ooh! Can we do the same to MSNBC? :D

Or... we could just ignore it. You know, like they don't want us to.

ClanCrusher

Constructive Critic
Mar 11, 2010
Fox News, an ongoing work of fiction. Tune in every day to see what wacky misadventures they get up to next.

Korihor

Free Thinker
Dec 9, 2010
Both my brother and I played violent video games a a kid.
We were also being subjected to horrific abuse by my father.
Neither my brother or I have turned out to be violent or lawbreakers.
Video games offered an escape from the abuse.
If my brother and I had not had an escape such as video games from the abuse neither one of us would have turned out so well.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Fox News, who's started a two-part feature entitled "'Training simulation:' Mass killers often share obsession with violent video games".
Oh come on. They are really calling it that? If they want to shock people into believing their bullshit they should call it something like "'Murder Simulator': The Killing Games", or "'Murder Simulator': Jesus Says No!".

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Why is it I get the feeling that they hate games because of games like Fallout and Bioshock?

-Ezio-

Eats Nuts, Kicks Butts.
Nov 17, 2009
CriticalMiss said:
Fox News, who's started a two-part feature entitled "'Training simulation:' Mass killers often share obsession with violent video games".
Oh come on. They are really calling it that? If they want to shock people into believing their bullshit they should call it something like "'Murder Simulator': The Killing Games", or "'Murder Simulator': Jesus Says No!".
aw dude. dont give them more ideas... they're just stupid enough to do it.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
-Ezio- said:
CriticalMiss said:
aw dude. dont give them more ideas... they're just stupid enough to do it.
It's ok, I'll just copyright those names and sue them if they use them. Muahahaha!

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
It's reporting like this from Faux News that makes me want to go on a murder spree.

If I did, and because of the linking to me watching Faux News, it resulted in Faux News being canned would the loss of innocent life be a worthy sacrifice?

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
I can't tell if Fox News is going: "YOUNG PEOPLE LIKE SOMETHING. YOU SHOULD BE MAD."
or if they're doing a more traditional

Also, I bet 100% of the mass murderers have watched or been around someone that watched a yellow-journalism 'special'. Cable news kills babies.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
well at least they're putting some effort into it, though the other news networks are saying the same thing. but Fox has a TWO-part series!!

oh well lol