Star Trek Game "Emotionally Hurt" J.J. Abrams

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Star Trek Game "Emotionally Hurt" J.J. Abrams

It might even have hurt the movie, Abrams says.

"The plenty of problems [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/7247-Star-Trek] that had nothing to do with the game tie-in - but the video game did the series no favors, and Abrams didn't appreciate being tagged with its awfulness just as all the work on the movie was about to pay off.

That doesn't mean Abrams has given up on games, as part of the Star Trek franchise. He accepts that games based on movies don't often work, but thinks that there is a solution. He's in talks with Valve, in hope that - in spite of the awfulness of the Star Trek game - there's a way past that disaster, to something better. "Starting from scratch," says Abrams, "let's make this, from the ground up, great, regardless of what's come before." Anything that's based on something else needs to be able to stand on its own merits, Abrams feels, and maybe Valve is the company best suited to achieve that. As to what that collaboration may result in, Abrams isn't about to say, beyond dropping brief Portal and Half Life movie [http://herocomplex.latimes.com/games/jj-abrams-portal-half-life-valve/#/0] hints.

Abrams feels there's a lot of potential cross-over between movies and games. Tomb Raider, Uncharted and similar action titles blow him away, with their cinematic vision. "You watch the beginning of Uncharted 3," he says, "you're watching it, as amazed as you would be in any movie, and then you're like 'oh! I'm in this thing!'" He'd love to see more of that cross-influence take hold, but without the whole "ancillary product" marketing ploy thing that ruined Star Trek.

Source: GamerHub Video [http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUWdXbx28xPxbotxGIQDjIbA&v=uVXCjDFVBss]

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Yeah, no Abrams just kind of annoys me now. I watched Into Darkness the other night and it was bad. Just plain bad. I won't get into the lens flares or the piss-poor portrayal of women when Star Trek is usually quite progressive. The acting was poor and the story was just... kind of wish they'd just remade the old one and stuck with the camp.

As for the game? Never played it, never will. And emotionally hurt by poor sales of a game when you probably sleep on a giant pile of money every ight? Fuck right off, dude. After being in Hollywood as long as you, you don't have emotions.

... Could also be that he reminds me of my cousin who is a Hollywood special effects bigwig and he lost his soul years ago. ... I say lost, but I mean gave it up willingly.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
IndomitableSam said:
Yeah, no Abrams just kind of annoys me now. I watched Into Darkness the other night and it was bad. Just plain bad. I won't get into the lens flares or the piss-poor portrayal of women when Star Trek is usually quite progressive. The acting was poor and the story was just... kind of wish they'd just remade the old one and stuck with the camp.

As for the game? Never played it, never will. And emotionally hurt by poor sales of a game when you probably sleep on a giant pile of money every ight? Fuck right off, dude. After being in Hollywood as long as you, you don't have emotions.

... Could also be that he reminds me of my cousin who is a Hollywood special effects bigwig and he lost his soul years ago. ... I say lost, but I mean gave it up willingly.
Did you just dehuamnize him? Wow... That's just... The internet, people.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Karloff said:
"The last game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/7247-Star-Trek], which was obviously a big disappointment to me," says J.J. Abrams in a GamerHub interview about Star Trek: Into Darkness, "I feel, for me, emotionally it hurt." It got bludgeoned by the critics and, Abrams feels, "arguably hurt" the movie's chances at the box office.

No, people didn't hate the film because of the shitty tie-in game. Sorry - try again.

(Hint: people almost definitely actually liked the film regardless of the shitty tie-in game, or hated the film - regardless of the shitty tie-in game.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Honestly, I'm mildly surprised he even knew the game existed.

Valve, please keep this guy the fuck away from your properties. Please?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
If JJ Abrams makes a Valve movie, any Valve movie, I will personally drive to Washington (through the Atlantic because bollocks to physics), find Gabe Newell and Mike Harrington, strap them to a forklift and feed them into the burners of a power station, I will make them both into Steam!

In the mean time, Neil Blomkamp, David Fincher, hell, even John Favreau are names I'd like to see attached to a Valve base movie, anyone but J Mystery box J is always empty Abrams.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Well that does suprise me. How in hell did the interviewer not just punch JJ in the face?

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
If JJ wants a good Star Trek game, he needs to know what kind of genres work with it.

For one, let's not use the shooter/FPS genre, shall we? Star Trek tends to focus on logic, and this genre tends to be anything but, and it's rather been done to death with all the games out there. In fact, Star Trek was rarely ever focused on action, and as a result JJ's films are trying to pander to an audience that, for the most part, doesn't care about the series. After all, "boring" moments are meant to calm down the audience because you can reach a point where there is simply too much action to take in. (And before everyone else mentions it, Voyager Elite Force was a fluke.)

I think JJ should really look towards a Telltale-made adventure game for Star Trek, and not towards a Valve shooter (or whatever). That's the sort of thing that fits the series.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Phrozenflame500 said:
A Star Trek game, made by Valve?

Intriguing...
Something to look forward to in 2023?

Anyways, I never even looked twice at the game, assumed it sucked from the get go and never heard otherwise. Didn't even cross my mind when looking at the movie.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
Gee so much JJ hate. I'm indifferent to the man, but he hasn't said a thing wrong, most things follow a heathy logic and the games he mentions are good examples of good would be films in the right hands. Also I liked Fringe, am ok with the first star trek film. He's a dude who needs to up his games yes but lets see how star wars goes before passing judgement.

Disney only screwed the Lone Ranger in resent memory and John Carter was actually really good before anyone says it as an example of fail it made no money but was good. With Marvel going strong lets hope star wars is being watched over by equel men of standards.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Eh, there's really no need for Abrams to take it personally. It's just a fact of life that movie tie-in games will almost always suck; there are very few exceptions that I can name off the top of my head. I mean, I thought that Into Darkness was pretty good in general. I know better than to judge it based on the shitty tie-in game, of all things.

STENDEC1

Jul 20, 2012
Here's what to do to produce a good Star Trek game, one that beats the hell out of all those that have come before it:

1. Start with the Mass Effect 3 engine as a base.

2. Build a game set in the Star Trek universe using the mechanics and storytelling style of ME3 (sans the shite ending).

3. ????

4. Profit!

The big flaw in this plan admittedly is that you'd have to get BioWare to do it... which means you have to get EA to do it... which means it's probably not worth bothering with.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Sgt. Sykes said:
Poor guy.

Does this mean he'll need time to recover and will leave Star Wars to someone else?

Cuz in that case, I kinda want more shitty games based on his movies.
Already working on Fringe and Friends: the Game, Super 8 Minicart Racing, a Cloverfield brawler, and a phoned in FPS based on Alias. If this is how we get him out of filmmaking and force him into a PR division where he's actually somewhat okay (so long as he isn't discussing the material), every penny will be worth it...

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
If Valve would make a Star Trek game, it would probably be a great game. However, by the time they will be finished, it would no longer be relevant for JJ Abrams.

Most movie tie-ins end up being crap because of how little time and material there's to work with.

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
Hey let's all insult JJ Abrams some more because Movie Bob told us he sucks!

That's what's cool on The Escapist right?

Not independent thought, oh no... Can't have that.