Developers Say Memory Is Faster on PS4 Than Xbox One

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Developers Say Memory Is Faster on PS4 Than Xbox One

Microsoft responded to problems too late, according to developers.

A group of anonymous developers tested the PS4 and Xbox One for comparisons and found that the PS4 is noticeably faster; memory reads are 40 to 50 percent faster on the PS4, Edge reports. [http://www.edge-online.com/news/power-struggle-the-real-differences-between-ps4-and-xbox-one-performance/] The arithmetic logic unit (ALU), a component of a computer processor often important for graphics processing, is 50 percent faster on the PS4, as well.

For example, one developer said that "without optimization for either console, a platform-agnostic development build can run at around 30 FPS in 1920x1080 on PS4, but it'll run at '20-something' FPS in 1600x900 on Xbox One." A developer concluded simply that the Xbox One is "weaker."

Microsoft is quite aware of the issue. In response, the company has increased the clock speed of the Xbox One, but a developer believed that was insignificant. Another characterized Xbox One's graphics drivers as "horrible." A different developer explained the graphics lag because Microsoft "has been late on their drivers and that has been hurting them."

However, the developers did say in some ways the Xbox One could be faster than the PS4. "Let's say you are using procedural generation or raytracing via parametric surfaces - that is, using a lot of memory writes and not much texturing or ALU - Xbox One will likely be faster."

Microsoft and Sony are both encouraging developers to take advantage of unique features, such as Microsoft's Kinect and Sony's DualShock 4 touch pad, but developers admitted they may not do so. "Unless there's a good design reason or incentive, we rarely do."

Source: Edge [http://www.edge-online.com/news/power-struggle-the-real-differences-between-ps4-and-xbox-one-performance/]

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
This is one of those "no shit" moments. But it's good to have official word from actual developers.

Remember when M$ said how they would never let the competition have a 33% speed advantage? Well, they didn't lie. They would let them have 50% speed advantage.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
GDDR5 is faster than DDR3?

Next you'll be telling me that my quad core desktop is faster than my dual core phone.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
So, MS just basically went "nuh uh" and make excuses.

Sounds about right for them as of late.

EDIT: Also, it's kind of obvious that the PS4 would be faster than the Xbone considering what they were using. So I have no idea why MS would suggest otherwise that would make sense.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
If they cared about speed, they'd put an SSD and larger quantity of RAM in the console first.

RAM speed doesn't help much when you are bottlenecked by disk I/O from swapping and such.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Why would you want to use a lot of memory writes and not much texturing or ALU in video game development? Texturing is an obvious plus and the arithmetic logic unit is used for all addition/subraction and logical operations in a pc. These seem to be pretty heavy in modern gaming. Am I missing something? It seems like the graphically and physics demanding games would require those both a lot and isn't it just the resource demanding games we're even talking about here to begin with?

"30FPS in 1920×1080 on PS4, but it?ll run at ?20-something? FPS in 1600×900 on Xbox One" is a much bigger difference that I thought it'd be. I wonder why they brought the resolution down though. What if they were both the same resolution?

The changes they made were a pitance. I don't know how they thought the upgrade was worth doing it except to look slightly better on paper.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Kross said:
If they cared about speed, they'd put an SSD and larger quantity of RAM in the console first.

RAM speed doesn't help much when you are bottlenecked by disk I/O from swapping and such.
You assume that Microsoft cares about hardware and systems specifications more than just gobbling people's money like Pacman on a glowing pebble binge. Or maybe it's the "curse of three", I dunno. Maybe both.

Also, I KNEW YOUR POST COUNT WAS SELF-AWARE!!!

search_rip

Jan 6, 2009
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
it's kind of obvious that the PS4 would be faster than the Xbone considering what they were using. So I have no idea why MS would suggest otherwise that would make sense.
Aaaah, but you are forgetting "the power of the cloooooooud" :p

inb4 "fanboys killed the Xbone and it's revolutionary way of digital distribution and sharing games and blah blah blah"

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
MinionJoe said:
SkarKrow said:
Next you'll be telling me that my quad core desktop is faster than my dual core phone.
Depends what you mean by "faster". My old single-core processor was faster than my dual-core (when comparing single-core speeds).

We already know Microsoft is using a non-standard dictionary. We've no idea what they think "speed advantage" means.
The shitty 2Ghz qualcomm dual core in my phone is in absolutely no way as fast or capable as my 4.0GHz gen 4 i5 :p

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Kross said:
They still need to sell the console. Putting an SSD would increase the price significantly. They'd have to get rid of the Kinect...

...Oh, you might be on to something here!

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
The joke's on all of you because even though the XBONE's power will actually be quadrupled by the use of the cloud

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124325-Microsoft-Claims-Cloud-Will-Quadruple-Power-of-Xbox-One
M$ is already well aware that being more powerful is not in and of itself an advantage:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127561-Microsoft-Disputes-PS4-Power-Advantage
Albert Penello, Microsoft's director of product planning, himself has said
the performance delta between the two platforms is not as great as the raw numbers lead the average consumer to believe.
So there you have it! Even with the quadrupling power of the cloud, "the performance delta between the two platforms is not as great as the raw numbers lead the average consumer to believe." Do with that information what you will.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
I thought the fact that the PS4 is more powerful than the Xbox One was a foregone conclusion? o_O

And besides, it'll hardly make a difference; I can guarantee you that for multi-platform games, the graphics will be pretty much identical on both systems (perhaps PS4 exclusives will be slightly prettier than the Xbox One, just as PS3 exclusives were).

The only thing that'll define this generation is, as ever, the games (of which Microsoft seems to have a small advantage in in terms of sheer numbers), price (which obviously Sony has the win here), and marketing (?yeaaaah? Microsoft? oh dear. xD)

Also, I'd like to point out something here:

3rd gen: NES less powerful than competitors, slaughtered competition.

4th gen: SNES less powerful than Mega Drive, out-sold it. (just)

5th gen: PS1 less powerful than N64, outsells it.

6th gen: PS2 least powerful of the Big 3 (sorry Dreamcast), massacred competition.

7th gen: Wii almost last-gen quality graphics, outsells everyone.

?Is it just me or do I see a pattern here? ;P

(Course that doesn't mean the Wii U will be the best selling console this generation?)

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Simalacrum said:
I thought the fact that the PS4 is more powerful than the Xbox One was a foregone conclusion? o_O

And besides, it'll hardly make a difference; I can guarantee you that for multi-platform games, the graphics will be pretty much identical on both systems (perhaps PS4 exclusives will be slightly prettier than the Xbox One, just as PS3 exclusives were).

The only thing that'll define this generation is, as ever, the games (of which Microsoft seems to have a small advantage in in terms of sheer numbers), price (which obviously Sony has the win here), and marketing (?yeaaaah? Microsoft? oh dear. xD)

Also, I'd like to point out something here:

3rd gen: NES less powerful than competitors, slaughtered competition.

4th gen: SNES less powerful than Mega Drive, out-sold it. (just)

5th gen: PS1 less powerful than N64, outsells it.

6th gen: PS2 least powerful of the Big 3 (sorry Dreamcast), massacred competition.

7th gen: Wii almost last-gen quality graphics, outsells everyone.

?Is it just me or do I see a pattern here? ;P

(Course that doesn't mean the Wii U will be the best selling console this generation?)
The less expensive option sells better?

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
But how will this change the most important functions of the Xbone? Does it have an effect on the TV signal? Does it mean you can't change TV channels as fast or watch multiple TV channels at once? Does it how any influence on Skype? All critical questions we need to be asking ourselves about the "XBONE EXPERIENCE!!!"

Anyway, Microsoft said power isn't important because they have super good graphics engineers or something. Take that Sony!

neppakyo

Apr 3, 2011
tdylan said:
The joke's on all of you because even though the XBONE's power will actually be quadrupled by the use of the cloud

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124325-Microsoft-Claims-Cloud-Will-Quadruple-Power-of-Xbox-One
M$ is already well aware that being more powerful is not in and of itself an advantage:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127561-Microsoft-Disputes-PS4-Power-Advantage
Albert Penello, Microsoft's director of product planning, himself has said
the performance delta between the two platforms is not as great as the raw numbers lead the average consumer to believe.
So there you have it! Even with the quadrupling power of the cloud, "the performance delta between the two platforms is not as great as the raw numbers lead the average consumer to believe." Do with that information what you will.
Haha you make me laugh. As soon as you mentioned "the cloooooud" any valid point you had disappeared... not that you had any. Research a bit about hardware and software optimizations first. Ignorance may be bliss, but knowledge is power.

Also I laughed more as you link MS PR babble from Microsoft morons.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
search_rip said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
it's kind of obvious that the PS4 would be faster than the Xbone considering what they were using. So I have no idea why MS would suggest otherwise that would make sense.
Aaaah, but you are forgetting "the power of the cloooooooud" :p

inb4 "fanboys killed the Xbone and it's revolutionary way of digital distribution and sharing games and blah blah blah"
Ah yes, the mysterious entity known as "the cloud".

The thing that no one knows how it will work but MS says it will because of reasons.

How could I forget. :p