Hyper Light Drifter Is Diablo Meets Laputa

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Hyper Light Drifter Is Diablo Meets Laputa

[kickstarter=1661802484/hyper-light-drifter]
The new action RPG on Kickstarter draws inspiration from Diablo and A Link to the Past.

Hyper Light Drifter is a new Kickstarter project that is taking the gaming world by storm, promising a retro 16-bit Diablo-style action RPG which takes place "a vast and ruined world riddled with unknown dangers and lost technologies." As well as Diablo, the developer states he draws inspiration from The Legend of Zelda: A Link to The Past, and the artwork and style has a very "Studio Ghibli" vibe to it, in particular, a lot of the robots and technology look straight out of Laputa: Castle in the Sky.

"Hyper Light Drifter is a 2D Action RPG in the vein of the best 8-bit and 16-bit classics, with modernized mechanics and designs on a much grander scale. Visions for this game have been fluttering in my skull for ages; something dark and fantastic, with giant forests to navigate, huge floating structures to explore, deep crumbling ruins to loot, massive throngs of enemies to rend, and behemoths both flesh and mechanical to overcome"

Hyper Light Drifter's developer Heart Machine claims the game plays like the best parts of A Link to the Past and Diablo, evolved: lightning fast combat, more mobility, an array of tactical options. The game is in a prototype phase, planned initially for PC, although stretch goals for PS4 and PS Vita are a possiblity.

If this sounds like something that's up your alley, you can contribute to its Kickstarter [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1661802484/hyper-light-drifter], which has already raised $143,291 - more than five times the initial funding goal of $27,000.

Source: Kickstarter [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1661802484/hyper-light-drifter?ref=search]

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
I've pledged $40 for this on day two. I can't believe how far it's reached in such a short time. =)

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
This is pretty cool looking. I think its interesting how many Kickstarters these days actually interest me (I used to loathe kickstarter) and how they are ALL for 2D action rpg/platformers.

Mighty #9
Shantae 4
Shovelknight
Hyper Light Drifter

I'm still waiting for ones "heavily inspired" by Castlevania, Metroid, Zelda, Shadowgate and Crystalis. They may already be out there, but I don't spend my time checking to see if anyone is trying to kickstart games I might like. I just come here and see them via the magicks of teh interweebs.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
We need a new article on Neverending Nightmares; that Kickstarter hasn't reached its goal yet, unlike this one or Mighty No. 9, and might deserve it.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
This may end up being the second Kickstarter I back, looks promising. I love the art style, very reminiscent of Swords & Sworcery and Cave Story.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
It really did remind me of Laputa a few times in the trailer, and as my personal favorite Ghibli movie this interests me greatly. This may have to be my first ever donation to a Kickstarter project.

Haz88

Nov 19, 2009
Sweet lord that is some pretty pixel art. First thought was Sword & Sworcery, second was Bastion. I'll keep an eye on this one.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
I really hope they haven't underestimated how much money they actually needed for this project and run into issues, because this game looks pretty interesting.

$27,000 seems really low, and now I'm worried that they'll get overly ambitious with the extra funds and pull a Double Fine.

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
Well, now I just want to watch Laputa!

This project has all the labor of a hand-drawn painting more than any videogame. The aesthetics and light instrumental soundtrack reminded me of Dustforce, to be honest. Really looking forward to how it turns out.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
That... that looks pretty freakin' awesome. I need to get in on this.

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
Looks pretty interesting, may throw down on it. Looks innovative which the only game that has blown my mind recently was Hotline Miami.

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
heard the music and the next thing i knew i had backed it. anyway looks good, cant wait, hope i dont get screwed over and the music is as good as the trailers'

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Trilligan said:
Hazy992 said:
I really hope they haven't underestimated how much money they actually needed for this project and run into issues, because this game looks pretty interesting.

$27,000 seems really low, and now I'm worried that they'll get overly ambitious with the extra funds and pull a Double Fine.
$161000 at the moment.

Yeah, I saw the kickstarter, and then I blinked, and by the time I had opened my eyes I'd pledged like $75.
That's what I mean. The extra funds make me worry that they'll take on more than they can handle (or that they already underestimated how much it's going to cost) and it gets stuck in development hell. I hope not because I really like the look of this.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
That art, music and overall aesthetic just makes me need this game, not even to mention the gameplay which looks fantastic.
Even the mere thought of playing this on my Vita make me tremble with the sexual feeling of being touched for the first time!
Maybe I'm a little too excited...

But damn that animation is fine.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
I'm going to be the stick in the mud and ask, where is the Diablo in it? It looks good, I like it, the music is amazing, I can't wait to try it out, but seriously, maybe I missed something, but what was so Diablo about it? Except maybe a few small connections, I don't fully see it.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Hazy992 said:
Trilligan said:
Hazy992 said:

$161000 at the moment.

Yeah, I saw the kickstarter, and then I blinked, and by the time I had opened my eyes I'd pledged like $75.
That's what I mean. The extra funds make me worry that they'll take on more than they can handle (or that they already underestimated how much it's going to cost) and it gets stuck in development hell. I hope not because I really like the look of this.
Well it sounds like much of the game is already in place, the extra funds are to finish it off.

Though I do wonder the same thing about some of the stretch goals though. Adding $20-40K to hire an extra artist or programmer for some contract work sounds reasonable, but $25,000 for a co-op campaign? First you're going to have to take time away from the single player campaign to program some client/server functionality, which leads to additional design issues that may pop up to support co-op as well as a whole new layer of testing. Typically if you're going to have some form of multiplayer it's best to plan it from the start, not add it in when the games nearly finished.

...Unless he's talking about offline co-op, that would probably be feasible.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Well that was a lovely trailer... consider me sold... time to dig out the ol' credit card for this one...