Next Payday May Focus on Competition Over Co-Op

Michael Epstein

Sep 9, 2013
Next Payday May Focus on Competition Over Co-Op

The next Payday may shift its attention to playing "cops versus robbers."

Overkill Software director David Goldfarb says that the next entry in the Payday series, presumably Payday 3, could take a different approach to heist simulation. Specifically, its a possible that the new game might be designed with versus mode in mind, pitting robbers against player-controlled police.

Speaking with Rock, Paper, Shotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/09/13/robber-man-payday-2-interview/], Goldfarb explained that developer Overkill Software considered adding some kind of versus component to Payday 2, but nixed the idea to focus on the game's signature co-op gameplay:

"The one thing, without going into too much detail, is we made a lot of decisions on this game that were ambitious and risky, and one of the reasons that we were able to get it out on time and make it generally a good game is that we didn't entertain a lot of stuff that was outside of our core focus, and the core focus is not versus," Goldfarb said. "The core focus is co-op. So when we revisit whatever we're going to do for the next one maybe that'll change."

Goldfarb, who worked on Battlefield 3 at DICE before joining Overkill, suggests that adding multiplayer (or single-player) to a game with a different primary focus can hinder development on all kinds of gameplay. The notion suggests that, if Payday 3 were to include competitive multiplayer, it would lead to changes in the co-op experience as well.

"It was good that we kept our focus and enabled us to finish this game," explained Goldfarb. "Now I'm not going say we would never consider it, but that's what we did on this one."

Of course, that isn't to say that Goldfarb has confirmed that the new Payday will have a versus mode. Technically he hasn't confirmed the game at all. That said, parent developer Starbreeze revealed that Payday 2 has sold more than 1.58 million copies [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127753-Payday-2-Sells-1-58-Million-Copies-Most-Are-Digital-Sales] as of last week, so more another game seems likely, if not inevitable.

Source: Rock, Paper, Shotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/09/13/robber-man-payday-2-interview/]

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Well, if anything, I would think of a competitive Payday as variant of Counter-Strike, except with respawns and the like.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Cool. The only thing I felt that was missing from the game was a "Cops vs Robbers"-esque mode. They'd have to be wary not to make either side too powerful though, obviously.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
NOOOOOOOO!!!!! Starbreeze do not turn into LUCAS! If it is not broken do not fix it!

If you do add a mode like this then limit the number of people playing as cops to less than the number of people playing as robbers like 2 to 4 and only let them attack during assaults. And make it a game mode that is optional. I LIKE the fact I am not playing against people from the COD generation of 12 year olds. Co-op is WHY I, and many others, play this game not COD.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
I'm just praying to god they don't sell out to EA (or some other company) who then says:

"We see the success that you had with the game by focusing on core gameplay mechanics and we love that. We want more of that, but throw in hellfire missile strikes and attack dogs because we really feel that Payday 3 is optimally placed to follow the trail that Call of Duty has blazed. We failed miserably with Medal of Honor, and Battlefield 3 hasn't quite done it either. So we're just going to keep buying up popular titles so that we can move units via brand recognition alone."

Straight up "fly by night."

I haven't played Pay Day, but after learning about it one of my first questions was "Can you turn on your teammates in order to steal the loot for yourself?"

I think this was a feature in Kane and Lynch. I didn't play Kane and Lynch, but read enough about its cops and robbers mode, and the risk v reward of turning on your fellow robbers in order to grab more of the loot for yourself. I thought it posed an interesting dynamic/dilemma that made a tense situation of "us vs them" even more nerve wrecking with the "will my teammates turn on me" factor.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Frankly, it sounds like it would be a mistake to me. The focus on cooperation, in what happened around the shooting, is what made the game stand out from the crowd.

Not to say it couldn't be done well. I think that what went into a hostage/siege situation, played from both sides, could be interesting- but it would be a very different game from what I've seen of Payday, with plenty of opportunities to go wrong.

KaZuYa

Mar 23, 2013
Pity they ruined the entire game with update 11, shows a dev team seriously out of touch

scienceguy8

Sep 1, 2008
KaZuYa said:
Pity they ruined the entire game with update 11, shows a dev team seriously out of touch
How was it ruined? All I've noticed is a new heist and the Bulldozer is a much bigger pain than before. Buffing a single enemy hardly qualifies as ruined.