Firefall PvP Being Suspended

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Firefall PvP Being Suspended

Red 5 Studios says it needs to "rethink" Firefall PvP modes because its pursuit of the e-sports space just isn't working out.

It's not often that you hear a game studio admit that one of its products just isn't working out, but that's exactly what's happening over at Red 5, the studio behind the free-to-play MMO shooter Firefall. Red 5 CEO Mark Kern said the studio has "pursued the controversial e-Sports route" with the game but acknowledged that "it's not working very well," noting that JetBall, its "last big attempt" to establish a PvP e-sports mode, attracts less than three percent of PvP players.

"Also, PvP has suffered as our focus has had to focus on the popular PvE part of our game. People want more content, fewer bugs, and more polish on these world systems," he wrote on the Firefall website. "For these reasons, we have made the tough decision to suspend PvP and take the system offline so that we can rethink it and relaunch it. PvP is an important part of our game, and we want to get it right."

"So we're going to regroup, rethink, and deliver the best PvP system we can that can be enjoyed by everyone," he continued. "We don't have a timetable for this, but at some near future point we will shut off the PvP aspect of the game, which we feel does not represent Firefall at its best, and relaunch that part of the game when its ready."

Source: Firefall [http://www.firefallthegame.com/en/news]

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
What I don't understand is why they deactivate PvP instead of letting it run (without further content updates) until they are actually ready to implement changes.
I'm sure there are some PvPers out there who will be very pissed... every game has some people playing the less successful game modes. Why not entertain them so they are actually still around to at least test the changes?

Stuberfinn88

Nov 13, 2009
They have put so much money into this game already, and have done complete overhauls over and over the past couple years, all for the hope that its gonna take off. At this rate its gonna implode on them within the next 2 years.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
rofltehcat said:
What I don't understand is why they deactivate PvP instead of letting it run (without further content updates) until they are actually ready to implement changes.
I'm sure there are some PvPers out there who will be very pissed... every game has some people playing the less successful game modes. Why not entertain them so they are actually still around to at least test the changes?
they're probably shutting it down so that they don't have to devote resources to cleaning up any possible messes resulting from exploits that might still be in the system, so that they are able to concentrate their staff fully to the PvE game instead of having to pull them off whenever something happens

at least, that would be the possible reason i'm thinking of

either way, they better freaking fix the default engineer turret to actualy be helpful if they're not gonna balance for pvp

Angel Molina

Mar 23, 2011
Saviordd1 said:
Firefall's still a thing? I haven't heard a thing about it in months.
Yeah, other than the announcement to make the game go to open beta, there really isn't anything news worthy. However, at the moment, the PvE world is pretty fun to play in. There's just enough quests and character variety to get anyone hooked for a while (As opposed to how I felt about it before the latest update). My only complains are the numerous bugs (thankfully none of them being game breaking), desire for more content, and the level grinding. There's still a long ways to go, but at least it's present state is enjoyable.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
I am no expert, but I am pretty sure that at this point in the games life cycle, things like this should be established and then built upon, as opposed to umm'd and aah'd over before changing it completely.

I mean, from my recollection of Firefalls development history, they must have the most indecisive directors in the industry.