Ghosts 'N Goblins Online Materializes on Steam Greenlight

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Ghosts 'N Goblins Online Materializes on Steam Greenlight

The classic arcade title returns as an online brawler.

The NES produced two kind of children: those who conquered Ghosts 'N Goblins and those who were broken by it. The fierce platformer exploited many fears, with a single attack rendering the hero nearly naked in the chill night. If therapy has allowed you to handle your NES-based childhood traumas, then you might be ready for the new [a href=http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=179249778]Ghosts 'N Goblins Online[/a] that's recently appeared on Steam Greenlight. Developed by the Korean Seed9 Games and published by Capcom, it appears to take the classic hard-as-nails platformer and turns it into a co-op dungeon brawler.

Ghosts 'N Goblins Online adds a bit to the original formula. Seed9 promises a "variety of splendid attack skills, an expanded moving range in every direction, and all the redesigned and newly created monsters in 3D environment [sic]." While the details are still a bit vague, the trailers show off different classes, each with special moves and attacks. Players can congregate in social hub zones before heading off to tackle the co-op stages.

Those craving for the difficulty of the original can run stages in the Demonic Dimension, where a single hit will have you fighting in your heart-bespeckled boxers. "Just like the original title, just one hit by a monster makes you almost naked and unarmored, just underwear," the Greenlight promises, "but you can still fight until the second hit which takes your life away."

If slicing up demons isn't enough for you, you can try your hand against your fellow man in "skill-based PvP combat". Up to six players can fight at once in 3v3 matches, but 1v1 duals are available as well.

Additional details, such as release date and how the F2P scheme will work are not yet available.

Source: [a href=http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=179249778]Steam Greenlight[/a]

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I dunno, this game looks... easy. It's early to say for sure, but those fancy flashy attacks don't mesh so well with something as unforgiving as the original. Hell, neither does 50ms of latency from playing online. This may be a decent game, but it certainly doesn't seem like it'll be a good G'nG game.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. If it's got Arthur's theme, it's a day one buy for me even if it sucks.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
I think Western audiences would find a new Ghosts & Goblins that's close to its retro roots would be more appealing than a MMO originally meant for Korea. Just saying...

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
...Quel fuckage?

Was anyone asking for this?

Cheers to Capcom for showing a willingness to experiment with old properties and take some chances in the ongoing quest to find new revenue streams, I guess, but... pass, thanks.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
I'm both skeptical & excited to see this game come to fruition; it'd be a challenge to get any mainstream publisher to back a game as gonad-vaporizingly difficult as the original, but it's too early to tell just yet

Sidebar: What ever happened to Maximo (the spiritual successor to G'nG)?

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
RT said:
Why the fuck does Capcom, a major publisher, need a Greenlight? Cheapskates.
Cheapskates? Uh, Greenlight has very little to do with money. You're not thinking of Kickstarter, are you?

That said, I'm also kind of surprised. Capcom has published on Steam before, and Valve usually passes companies who have previously been on Steam right on through without Greenlight. Perhaps Capcom isn't publishing this, but only licensing their franchise? That's a tad out of character for them, but definitely seems like Seed9 is heading this up.

P.S. Thanks

siveon

Jan 21, 2012
Thanks but no thanks.

I was thinking co-op Ghosts n' Goblins. Apparently they were thinking that means Online RPG. I like RPG's and I like Ghosts n' Goblins. I don't like them together though.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
RT said:
Probably theyre using Greenlight to gauge fan reaction for a non-Japanese release?

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
It just had to have a combat system in it didn't it. I guess it would be asking too much of Capcom to just stick to it being a simple platformer.(I hated it when it was done to Spyro as well) God damn it Capcom that nostalgia teat has to be tender by now, give it a rest.

Itchi_da_killa

Jun 5, 2012
I can already tell this game will be too easy to even mess with. If Arthur needs to hit a standard enemy more than once, then it's over... it isn't Ghost and Goblins/Ghouls and Ghosts. On another note, I don't see how the magic can be translated into 3d. Why not use the power we have now to make a breathtaking 2d experience? Trine looks fucking amazing for the record. Super Ghouls and Ghost to this day is still very beautiful, challenging and elegant. Nostalgia goggles? No... I was just playing it via emulator three weeks ago and getting my ass kicked on level 4.

I will pass on what ever this game is.

Itchi_da_killa

Jun 5, 2012
siveon said:
Thanks but no thanks.

I was thinking co-op Ghosts n' Goblins. Apparently they were thinking that means Online RPG. I like RPG's and I like Ghosts n' Goblins. I don't like them together though.
Hellz to the yeah for co-op. I would love a simple addition like that.

-DENIED-

Rutskarn

Feb 20, 2010
gigastar said:
RT said:
Probably theyre using Greenlight to gauge fan reaction for a non-Japanese release?
Is it even planned for a Japanese release? The trailer's in Korean.