Alarm Clock App Logs and Shares Your Dreams

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Alarm Clock App Logs and Shares Your Dreams

<vimeo=68159227>​
Dreams are slippery buggers you forget in just a few minutes after waking up.

The abrupt "beep, beep, beep" of the alarm clock rips you out of sleep with its prickly fingers. You know you had a particularly vivid dream, but the details are already slipping away. Developers for Shadow, a new mobile app, have their own dream. Shadow is part alarm clock and part modern dream journal. Users set the clock when they go to sleep, and the alarm gently rouses the user awake with gradually escalating volume and vibrations. The easing into being awake takes place during the hypnopompic state - not quite asleep, but not awake yet. By transitioning through this state, Shadow app developers say users can better remember their dreams.

Upon waking up, users are prompted to record their dream by voice or text, and the app stores the dream that keeps track of dream and sleep patterns. "There's a lot going on in the subconscious mind that if you can start to pull out little details, you start to get a wider picture of yourself," designer Hunter Lee Soik said.

Users can share their dream data in a cloud where global dream and sleep patterns are analyzed. Soik's goal is to make a massive dream database and use the information to "transform the...flat overview of our data to an interconnected, 360-degree picture of ourselves."

The majority of the app is already well into development, but the team created a Kickstarter page to see which features users want to see more of. Additionally, project backers can decide which device (iOS, Android, etc.) will be built first.

Source: Wired [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hunterleesoik/shadow-community-of-dreamers]

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Awww no. No thank you very much. I can remember most of my dreams and damned if I ever record them let alone share them. I have a dirty mind, man. And I like to keep THOSE dreams to myself.

And the non-dirty dreams. Well, they're just embarrassing. Did I ever tell you guys about the time I traveled throughout Azeroth and battled the 9 gym leaders to become a Pokemon Master? Did I tell you those leaders were the 9 classes from TF2? Damn that was a cool dream.

Penguinplayer

Mar 31, 2009
Sound like a cool idea. I rarely have an embarrassing dream, so I would be okay with sharing my dreams with the community and reading about other people's dreams.

I always had a fascination for dreams, so this sounds right up my alley.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Until there is a device that allows one to view their dreams like a video, there will be no dream related purchases from me thank you very much!

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
1. when alarm clock rips you off a dream you are more likely to remember it than if you wake up naturally, since you were actively thinking about it when you woke up.
2. doesnt all alarm clocks increase the volume over time?