Mighty No. 9 Hits $2.2M, Secures Current-Gen Console Release

Michael Epstein

Sep 9, 2013
Mighty No. 9 Hits $2.2M, Secures Current-Gen Console Release

$2.2M and 38,000 backers later, Mighty No. 9 is officially a console game, too.

Mighty No. 9 has raised more than $2.2 million from its Kickstarter campaign, surpassing the stretch goal required for the game to make its way onto PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii U. The campaign, which raised its initial $900,000 funding goal [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127371-Update-Mega-Man-Creator-Kickstarts-Mighty-No-9] in less than two days, was initially pitched for PC, Mac and Linux.

Console support seems to be an extremely important issue for backers, based on the drive's backer updates. Developer Comcept USA lowered the funding requirement for current-gen platforms from $2.5 to the current level in response to a strong request from backers shortly after the game secured funding. Last week, the developer set a separate $3.3M stretch goal [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127612-Mighty-No-9-Adds-Next-Gen-Stretch-Goal] to bring the game to PS4 and Xbox One.

Though the developer hasn't ruled out the possibility of porting the game to 3DS and Vita, there are currently no official plans to bring the game to handhelds.

With 14 days to go, the Mighty No. 9 Kickstarter campaign has raised $2,232,535 from more than 38,000 backers. The game is projected to launch in April, 2015.

Source: Kickstarter [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9/posts?page=3]

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
It's starting to look like it won't reach its stretch goal for PS4 and Xbox One, but I think it'll get ports anyway. They'll just come late, and be funded by profits from the other versions of the game.

P.S. Thanks

FourCartridge

Dec 27, 2012
Covarr said:
It's starting to look like it won't reach its stretch goal for PS4 and Xbox One, but I think it'll get ports anyway. They'll just come late, and be funded by profits from the other versions of the game.

P.S. Thanks
I think it'll reach that goal. It's only halfway through and Kickstarters get a end of drive boost whenever it reaches the deadline. You can bet at least get the Co-Op goal will get blown.

Mirrorknight

Jul 23, 2009
FourCartridge said:
Covarr said:

P.S. Thanks
I think it'll reach that goal. It's only halfway through and Kickstarters get a end of drive boost whenever it reaches the deadline. You can bet at least get the Co-Op goal will get blown.
Possible. Maybe if more people will back it now that it's on current gen systems. However, if it goes as slow as it has been going the last 5 days, I don't think it'll quite get the 1.1 million for next gen systems. I think the co-op mode's do-able though, with the inevitable last minute backer rush. I think it'll get ported to next gen systems anyway if it does well enough on other formats.

Tinybear

Aug 27, 2010
Not to be the party pooper, but that looks like the easiest copyright infringement lawsuit I've ever seen. Be prepared for the whole game being canceled due to legal issues.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Tinybear said:
Not to be the party pooper, but that looks like the easiest copyright infringement lawsuit I've ever seen. Be prepared for the whole game being canceled due to legal issues.
considering everything is 'concept only and not final game play' kinda doubt it. Oh sure, It'll probably be very Mega Man like, but It'll probably be toned down or changed in some way.

Like how Beck actually transforms for one.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Please just at least a little bit further for the $2.55m stretch goal and the extra end stage and boss! I'm being very selfish here and putting it out that that's all the extra stuff I care about for this project.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Lunar Templar said:
Tinybear said:
considering everything is 'concept only and not final game play' kinda doubt it. Oh sure, It'll probably be very Mega Man like, but It'll probably be toned down or changed in some way.

There was a guy with scissors on the back of his head, in the concept art.

I mean, come on.

GeneralFungi

Jul 1, 2010
Lyri said:
Lunar Templar said:
Tinybear said:

There was a guy with scissors on the back of his head, in the concept art.

I mean, come on.
They could try to sue but I don't think it would be in their best interest. It would be a PR nightmare of the highest magnitude. Megaman fans are already annoyed enough at capcom for cancelling several Megaman games in recent history. For them to go out of their way to obstruct Inafune after he left their company...

They might even succeed in the lawsuit. Many games are derivative of one another. It wouldn't be the first time nor would it be the last. So even if they did sue and completely sully their reputation, then there's a chance they wouldn't even get the money out of it.

Things would get very messy very quickly.