Creepy Clown Stalks English Town

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Creepy Clown Stalks English Town

A Facebook savvy clown has been making mysterious appearances around the town of Northampton, England.

Clowns are scary. It doesn't matter the kind, the source, or what they're doing; they're creepy creatures and we sincerely hope that that first person who thought it might be funny paint their face and dress in stupid clothes is rotting in some special corner of hell for all the terror that's been on their account.

[gallery=1777]

That in mind, the English town of Northampton has recently found itself terrorized by its own creepy clown. Well, "terrorized" might be a strong word for it. The clown has been spotted several times around the town just being generally creepy, often with balloons. Despite the fact that the proper course of action when dealing with clowns is to hide in your closet while clutching a sharp or blunt object, many people have actually been having fun with the whole shtick, sharing taking pictures and sharing updates about their personal sightings through Facebook and via Twitter (#northamptonclown). In fact, the Northampton Clown now has its own <a href=https://www.facebook.com/spotnorthamptonsclown/photos_stream>Facebook page sporting more than 77,000 likes.

The clown itself has actually been fairly amicable on Facebook, denying rumors that it carries a knife and actively attempted to scare people by "knocking on houses and asking to paint window sills." Some Facebook users, in turn, have come to regard the clown's presence, which has brought Northampton some arguably welcome attention, as a positive thing. "I don't like clowns," offered Mark Rudkin. "But what you are doing for Northampton is quality." What do you think of the Northampton Clown? Is he a well-meaning diversion or a force of pure evil simply waiting for <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3ZbnfXEuyc>his time to strike.

Source: <a href=http://www.northampton-news-hp.co.uk/News/Northampton-News/Spooky-clown-mystery-grips-Northampton-14092013.htm>Northampton Herald & Post

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
I don't have a phobia about clowns, but even I recognize that they are beings of pure evil which should be brutally killed on sight lest they do something evil to someone somewhere.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
WELP I've added this town to the list of places I will never visit, but at the same time I must admit that the guy doing this is a fantastic troll (as long as he doesn't do anything criminal).

Coliumbos

Mar 15, 2010
Wow... This has to be the first time my town has actually popped up on the Escapist.

We have a clown on the loose?

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
That clown come anywhere near me and it's getting it nuts kicked in until they are coming out it's mouth. They just creap me the fuck out.

Plus they are the servents of evil, the higest ranking minions of the Devil himself, above even lawyers and reality tv show creators.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
It does brighten my day to see things like this

Performance Art blended with social media

Not much else to say, really. Keep it up, Mr. Unsettling Nightmare Clown :)

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
Normally I don't have a problem with clowns... But this one really creeps me out.

It's too bad my grandfather is no longer alive. He'd probably get a bit of a kick out of this since he grew up in Northampton.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Coliumbos said:
Wow... This has to be the first time my town has actually popped up on the Escapist.

We have a clown on the loose?
You should check out Stephen Kings "It". Its not the best book, but you'll learn to run if he says "They Float".

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Well as I said in my comment in the user-made version of this topic:

RJ 17 said:
In the words of the Nostalgia Critic:

More to the topic, the article notes that he's terrorizing the community by "ominously standing around"...what does "ominously standing" even mean? Now if he's standing on one side of the street just giving people on the other side of the street some kind of death stare, alright, but from the looks of the pictures in the article he's just standing there waving at people. I forget the technical term for "clown-o-phobia", but it seems like everyone in Northampton has a really bad case of it. Is it a bit odd? Certainly, but I'd hardly call it scary.
Personally I think it's some kind of social experiment that the guy is running. Just dress up like a clown and stand around town holding balloons. Smile and wave at people - things that clowns are known to do in their natural habitat - and don't really bother anyone. Then see how big of a reaction you get, how many people think you've got some sinister purpose when showing no outward sign or even indication of such a purpose. Were I living in Northampton, I'd probably dress up like a clown and go stand with him myself, perhaps holding a sign that says "No, HE'S the Northampton Clown, I'm just a jackass" with an arrow pointing in the direction the clown is standing in relation to me.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
That's nothing. I have the Insane Clown Posse camped out in my backyard.

...Still, this is weeeeeeeeird.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I was waiting for the part where this was some kind of cryptic PR stunt for a game. Since it apparently isn't I feel we should come up with a game concept involving clowns in Northampton, possibly something like 'Sir you are being hunted' but instead of homicidal robots there are clowns and balloon animals that hunt you down.

Aramis Night

Mar 31, 2013
RJ 17 said:
Well as I said in my comment in the user-made version of this topic:

RJ 17 said:
In the words of the Nostalgia Critic:

More to the topic, the article notes that he's terrorizing the community by "ominously standing around"...what does "ominously standing" even mean? Now if he's standing on one side of the street just giving people on the other side of the street some kind of death stare, alright, but from the looks of the pictures in the article he's just standing there waving at people. I forget the technical term for "clown-o-phobia", but it seems like everyone in Northampton has a really bad case of it. Is it a bit odd? Certainly, but I'd hardly call it scary.
Personally I think it's some kind of social experiment that the guy is running. Just dress up like a clown and stand around town holding balloons. Smile and wave at people - things that clowns are known to do in their natural habitat - and don't really bother anyone. Then see how big of a reaction you get, how many people think you've got some sinister purpose when showing no outward sign or even indication of such a purpose. Were I living in Northampton, I'd probably dress up like a clown and go stand with him myself, perhaps holding a sign that says "No, HE'S the Northampton Clown, I'm just a jackass" with an arrow pointing in the direction the clown is standing in relation to me.
It was exactly this kind of social experiment that caused me to adopt my current style and appearance. That of a syringe fingered mime..... Just kidding. I'm just a goth, but I originally just planned to try dressing like one to see how people would react to one since at the time even I thought they looked disturbing. I embraced it based on the results within a month. I wouldn't be surprised if this gentleman is also having his eyes opened to just how judgmental humans really are with just a little white added to your face and some odd fashion choices.

Hawk eye1466

May 31, 2010
I would love it if after a few days he starts appearing with blood on himself and slowly looking more and more deranged but still with that happy smile and demeanor.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
See, this is why you have to love and take care of your hamster when you get him. Now, who's got a picture of a clown to burn so that he goes away?

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
Zombie_Moogle said:
It does brighten my day to see things like this

Performance Art blended with social media

Not much else to say, really. Keep it up, Mr. Unsettling Nightmare Clown :)

Orrr performance art blended with devastating mental illness.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Predicting it now,

Creepy Clown next mayor of Northampton.

I'd vote for him if I lived there.

Dante dynamite

Mar 19, 2012
I'd like to see someone try that here they'd probably get killed in an hour by fire since people would think that the clown was some sort of demon

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Hawk eye1466 said:
I would love it if after a few days he starts appearing with blood on himself and slowly looking more and more deranged but still with that happy smile and demeanor.
I live close to Northampton, and yes...fuck yes...that would definitely give me a reason to actually notice that town for once!
It has been on the news a little around here, though they seem only slightly bemused by the idea that a guy that dresses up as a clown outside of children's parties and genocidal activities can become internationally known.
Maybe this is a clue as to how little effort it takes to become a celebrity.
For now, not scary...just creepy. Still, i bet this guy is on the sex offense register one way or another

Paddy the Second

Apr 9, 2011
If this does turn out to be an IT type situation Northampton's other famous son Alan Moore should be able to handle it, what with being a wizard and all.