Grand Theft Auto V Voice Actor Interview - Aleksei Archer

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Grand Theft Auto V Voice Actor Interview - Aleksei Archer

So, what was it like recording with Rockstar on GTA V?

Read Full Article

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
Interesting read, but do we really need to toss in scrutinization for every game that doesn't have a playable female character?

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
That is a very valuable interview in my opinion. It shows someone who has their head on their shoulders who went in and did work for a game that is being and will continue being criticized constantly, and explained just how positive the whole ordeal was.

People are going to give games like this a negative press as much as they can into the near future, so it is nice to see that such a project still brought a lot of good will, good times, and well earned profit for those involved like the voice actress.

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
The Hungry Samurai said:
Interesting read, but do we really need to toss in scrutinization for every game that doesn't have a playable female character?
Aleksei was a really interesting lady! I don't think it's wrong to ask her if she thought she was up to playing a lead in a GTA game. You seem to imply there's some kind of negativity associated with that question, but it's an honest and relevant question for the interview. You might not want to know, but others do.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
JonB said:
The Hungry Samurai said:
Aleksei was a really interesting lady! I don't think it's wrong to ask her if she thought she was up to playing a lead in a GTA game. You seem to imply there's some kind of negativity associated with that question, but it's an honest and relevant question for the interview. You might not want to know, but others do.
I agree that she seems like a very interesting lady and I'm sure she would be however I feel like the implications are going in the other direction. Look at the wording in this article.

"I asked her what it was like to work in a cast with no female leads, and whether she thought a female would have worked for any of the lead characters"

Nowhere did you (I'm assuming this was your article and interview from the user name) ask her if she was up to performing anything, and while this was not neccesarrily the exact wording of the question she was responding to, it certainly does seem to be a thinly veiled dig at the game, and I certainly hope you weren't egging her on into taking a stance and possibly burning a few bridges with her career to make a soundbite for what seems like the sites latest hot topic (see last weeks Jimquisition, or the bizarrely frustrating Critical Miss of 9/13 )

I can only imagine what would have happened if she did take what you were saying and ran with it. Escapist articles talking about the fanboy death threats and developer fits thrown would fill up the feed for weeks and once the internet hate machine finally died down she'd probably have much difficulty working in the videogame voice over biz for quite some time.

Maybe I am reading into it too much but if that would be the case it would be a pretty darned irresponsible move to hurt someones career for page views.

On the actual topic that I'm implying I apologize if I'm off but it's a topic on the site thats just been rubbing me the wrong way lately. I kinda feel its a bit silly for people to try and dictate how developers can and can't tell their story. Yes it would be nice to see more equality regarding gender and sexuality in gaming, but IMHO forcing writers to shoehorn in a female lead just to please some progressive agenda, is just as bad as writing women, minorities, or LGBT characters out of a game to please some racist/sexist agenda. Either way it takes the original vision of the creators and perverts it to serve something else.

Again with a very big IMHO, we really need to back down a bit and let the creator create what they're going to create, defend his right to create it, and let the product stand or fall on its own merit. Otherwise we're going to become just as bad as the messed up status quo that we're trying to fix.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
She looks highly familiar...cannot figure out why. Gah, you mysterious mistress of sound! I will be back after an IMDB dig...