Harmonix Talk Beatles

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Harmonix Talk Beatles

Ahead of the release of The Beatles: Rock Band, The Boston Globe talks to Harmonix about the process of making the game.

"The band always looked joyful when they were playing,'' said Chris Foster, lead designer of The Beatles: Rock Band. "To get that kind of life into the visuals, those moments when they're looking at each other and smiling, we had to make new rules."

That's just one of the behind the scenes insights that Harmonix gave to the Boston Globe. The fact that The Beatles: Rock Band comes out in a months' time is quite the coup for the Massachusetts-based developer, as the Beatles have previously fiercely guarded their back catalogue and never made the songs available for download.

On The Beatles: Rock Band however, the remaining band members and other members of the Beatles camp were active contributors. "We know what John [Lennon] looked like, but not what he moved like,'' said Eran Egozy, co-founder of Harmonix. "Having Yoko and the other shareholders involved made the game so much better. It raised the bar." Attention to detail seems to be Harmonix's watchword for this project, from painstakingly picking out individual instruments from single track recordings of early songs, to how high Ringo Starr's drumsticks flew into the air.

There's a big buzz around the game, especially after the high-profile rollout at this year's E3 where Ringo Starr and Paul McCartney appeared on stage [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92077-Liveblog-Microsofts-E3-Press-Conference] during Microsoft's press conference, but the Globe notes that not everyone is so enthusiastic: "I don't believe there's a teenager in the US who cares about The Beatles: Rock Band,'' says Joe Spiegel, an industry analyst at Dalek Capital Management in New York. "And I don't think this is the economic environment to go after new gamers." As a counterpoint to Spiegel's gloom however, the Globe spoke to Kanaa Malcolm, a store manager at a local game retailer. "The kids are really excited," she said, before noting that the store had around 300 pre-orders for the game, from people of all ages.

Oh and on a side note, check out the game's opening cinematic [http://www.thebeatlesrockband.com/videos/cinematic/], it's pretty awesome.

Source: The Boston Globe [http://www.boston.com/ae/music/articles/2009/08/09/a_fab_four_reunion_for_a_new_generation/?page=2] via Go Nintendo [http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=92509]

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
nilcypher said:
"I don't believe there's a teenager in the US who cares about The Beatles: Rock Band,'' says Joe Spiegel, an industry analyst at Dalek Capital Management in New York.
LOLWHUT?

I'm sorry, but that sentence deserves it. The Beatles may not have been as worshipped in the US as they were elsewhere, but I know more than a few teenagers who are interested in the game. Myself included.

I mean, c'mon! The Beatles were only one of the BIGGEST BANDS OF ALL TIME. Even if you haven't heard their music, you've heard OF them. And for people who haven't heard much of their material, this game will be a good way for them to tune in. If they aren't sure that they like it, they can just play it at a friend's house.

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
I can only wish it's successful enough to allow them to make "Frank Zappa: Rock Band"

Bassman_2

Feb 9, 2009
nilcypher said:
"I don't believe there's a teenager in the US who cares about The Beatles: Rock Band,'' says Joe Spiegel
Have faith you fool!
I can't wait to have this for my birthday. Where I will STILL be a teenager...

doomngloom

Aug 8, 2009
The guy can't be right. The Beatles still have a lot of younger fans here in the UK, I'd imagine it's similar in the US.

The Beatles are very much timeless. Let's hope all these fucking guitar games aren't.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
nilcypher said:
Oh and on a side note, check out the game's opening cinematic [http://www.thebeatlesrockband.com/videos/cinematic/], it's pretty awesome
Come on it can't be that g..... Oh my god that is brilliant!

ScarlettRage

May 13, 2009
scotth266 said:
nilcypher said:
"I don't believe there's a teenager in the US who cares about The Beatles: Rock Band,'' says Joe Spiegel, an industry analyst at Dalek Capital Management in New York.
LOLWHUT?

I'm sorry, but that sentence deserves it. The Beatles may not have been as worshipped in the US as they were elsewhere, but I know more than a few teenagers who are interested in the game. Myself included.

I mean, c'mon! The Beatles were only one of the BIGGEST BANDS OF ALL TIME. Even if you haven't heard their music, you've heard OF them. And for people who haven't heard much of their material, this game will be a good way for them to tune in. If they aren't sure that they like it, they can just play it at a friend's house.
hell yeah.
i would play it.

TriggerUnhappy

Mar 4, 2009
This is going to be really cool, and I hope it's really successful and that possibly Jimmy Page will realize he's wrong (he won't) and make a Rock Band: Led Zeppelin, but that'll never happen.

cheevocabra

May 23, 2009
TriggerUnhappy said:
This is going to be really cool, and I hope it's really successful and that possibly Jimmy Page will realize he's wrong (he won't) and make a Rock Band: Led Zeppelin, but that'll never happen.
They'd have to come up with a new minigame mechanic where you steal songs from poor blues musicians without crediting them.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
After watching that opening cinematic, I kinda wanna play an RPG/Adventure game set in the psychedelic Beatles realm more than I wanna play their songs on Rockband. That was just wicked.

kiyeshi

Aug 8, 2009
i've loved the beatles my entire life, this game is going to be amazing. and yeah, that opening cinematic should have been a game in of itself. giant blue elephant attack!

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I might finally fork over the cash for the Rock Band set, and I've been meaning to do so for a while.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
Joe Spiegel needs a slap.

That opening cinematic (I've seen it several times before now) is a better trailer than the actual gameplay trailers, it just says so much about their attention to detail and absolute love of the music. It's incredible. You use that as an advert on TV in a large ad-spot, you'll have enough sales to fill a stadium with hundred-dollar bills and swim in it.

doomngloom

Aug 8, 2009
cheevocabra said:
TriggerUnhappy said:
They'd have to come up with a new minigame mechanic where you steal songs from poor blues musicians without crediting them.
Damn.

Zamn

Apr 18, 2009
nilcypher said:
"I don't believe there's a teenager in the US who cares about The Beatles: Rock Band,'' says Joe Spiegel, an industry analyst at Dalek Capital Management in New York. "And I don't think this is the economic environment to go after new gamers."
I'm a teenager (although admittedly not in the US) and I'm more excited about this than any other game this year.

And how exactly did he reach the conclusion that this is a bad time to go after new gamers? All the evidence is that people are turning to gaming as a relativey cheap form of entertainment. Who's paying this guy?

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
doomngloom said:
The guy can't be right. The Beatles still have a lot of younger fans here in the UK, I'd imagine it's similar in the US.

The Beatles are very much timeless. Let's hope all these fucking guitar games aren't.
What's it matter to you if these guitar games become timeless classics?

doomngloom

Aug 8, 2009
FloodOne said:
doomngloom said:

What's it matter to you if these guitar games become timeless classics?
I just like complaining is all.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
I really won't be buying this, not a Beatles fan.

I can see why others would be however.