Grand Theft Auto V Torture Scene Causes Uproar

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Grand Theft Auto V Torture Scene Causes Uproar

Grand Theft Auto V is coming under fire for a scene in which players torture a character by pulling his teeth and electrocuting him.

At some point over the course of Grand Theft Auto V, you will be compelled to aggressively question a character with implements including a sledgehammer and jumper cables, after which you'll deliver a brief lecture about how torture is merely a technique for exerting power. It's a segment that doesn't sit well with human rights groups Freedom From Torture and Amnesty International.

"Rockstar North has crossed a line by effectively forcing people to take on the role of a torturer and perform a series of unspeakable acts if they want to achieve success in the game," Freedom from Torture Chief Executive Keith Best told The Guardian. "Torture is a reality, not a game and glamorizing it in popular culture undoes the work of organizations like Freedom from Torture and survivor activists to campaign against it."

U.K. Labour MP and noted videogame critic Keith Vaz joined in the condemnation of the game, saying that he is "astonished at the level of violence depicted," while Association of Teachers and Lecturers President Alison Sherratt said that the graphics are so realistic, young children may not realize they're watching a game.

"Four to five-year-olds have a tendency to copy what they see on TV, whether it's this or Fireman Sam putting out fires," she said. "ATL is not calling for a ban on these games, or censorship at all. What we are asking is for parents to become aware that the little ones are seeing these things."

Of course, the little ones aren't meant to be seeing these things, and it's arguable that giving a guy the juice is hardly the worst thing you'll do in Grand Theft Auto V. But as Best pointed out, torture, unlike most of the other excesses depicted in GTA, is something that actually happens in real life.

"This adds insult to injury for survivors who are left physically and mentally scarred by torture in the real world," he said. "If Rockstar North's message is a satirical critique of the practice of torture, it's lost on us."

Source: The Guardian [http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/sep/18/grand-theft-auto-5-under-fire-for-graphic-torture-scene]

Danial

Apr 7, 2010
Its odd, the people online who are most agaist this all have really nice things to say about shows like Breaking Bad and 24.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
"Four to five-year-olds have a tendency to copy what they see on TV, whether it's this or Fireman Sam putting out fires," she said. "ATL is not calling for a ban on these games, or censorship at all. What we are asking is for parents to become aware that the little ones are seeing these things."

Of course, the little ones aren't meant to be seeing these things, and it's arguable that giving a guy the juice is hardly the worst thing you'll do in But as Best pointed out, torture, unlike most of the other excesses depicted in GTA, is something that actually happens in real life.

It always goes back to why the hell are you letting your kids play this stuff? You wouldn't let your kid watch A Serbian FIlm or Ichi the Killer, don't let them play GTA.

Aircross

Jun 16, 2011
I don't remember this kind of fuss when Jack Baur was pulling a guy's nipples off after the guy killed Jack's girlfriend.

Jack then proceeded to disembowel the guy to get the guy's swallowed SIM card.

Also, there's a reason why this game is rated M.

Moosejaw

Oct 11, 2010
Instead of parenting, let's just attempt to aggressively scrub any depiction of torture from all media. Yes, that's a great idea.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
I always enjoy the aftermath of a GTA game. The various "garumphs" and "harumphs" from people who do not play games, do not understand games, and can't think past their own agenda to realize that maybe, just maybe, the horrible thing they don't like is there to show how horrible it is, is always good for a laugh.

Throw in a few bits of hyperbole about 4 years olds playing GTA as if it's Bob The Builder and the free publicity whirlwind is complete.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Danial said:
Its odd, the people online who are most agaist this all have really nice things to say about shows like Breaking Bad and 24.
Walter White still strikes me as more monstrous than anyone I've seen in GTA yet. Granted, I'm yet to finish the game, so maybe Trevor will surprise me yet.

Lono Shrugged said:
It always goes back to why the hell are you letting your kids play this stuff? You wouldn't let your kid watch A Serbian FIlm or Ichi the Killer, don't let them play GTA.
Isn't that their point, though? That people are unaware and should be made aware?

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
While specific indication of torture isn't listed in the rating descriptor list on the box. The torture is covered in the ESRB's longer report that was released almost a month ago. " In one sequence, players are directed to use various instruments and means (e.g., pipe wrench, tooth removal, electrocution) to extract information from a character; the sequence is intense and prolonged, and it involves some player interaction (i.e., responding to on-screen prompts)."

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Moosejaw said:
Instead of parenting, let's just attempt to aggressively scrub any depiction of torture from all media. Yes, that's a great idea.
Did you actually read the article? The only bit about parents and kids explicitly says they're not out to do that.

Honestly, for all the people who complain about failure to understand the gaming medium, I see a lot more people failing to understand the things they're outraged at outside of gaming.

KeyMaster45 said:
I always enjoy the aftermath of a GTA game. The various "garumphs" and "harumphs" from people who do not play games, do not understand games, and can't think past their own agenda to realize that maybe, just maybe, the horrible thing they don't like is there to show how horrible it is.

Throw in a few bits of hyperbole about 4 years olds playing GTA as if it's Bob The Builder and the free publicity whirlwind is complete.
It's not complete until Fox News is claiming that people are using the terrible controls of GTA V to train to murder people.

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
So, no one notices a difference between movies/tv, where you can avert your eyes to the scene and still miss nothing to the overall story. While in GTA you have to be a part of the scene to continue the story?

GTA4 came of as a game about a guy who tries to start a new life, but gets sucked into criminal activities again. Dunno what is going on in GTA5. Is the scene a must to continue the story, or is it a side quest?

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
These people have it wrong, the torture scene is supposed to depict something that happens in real life. Its there to smack you in the face with it and say "this stuff really happens and people suffer like this" to make you feel uncomfortable and shock the player into gaining a small amount of understanding. Any decent person (the majority of the people playing this I like to think) will be horrified, this will provoke discussion and awareness of human rights and suffering.

Amnesty International should be praising this game not condemning it.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
From what i gather, the game does not glorify torture. It is what it is - horrible men using horrible means to get what they want. Same as with Spec ops using WP. It made you regret using it. Saw and Hostel glorified torture for entertainment. GTA5 doesnt. But then us games knew this was coming, as soon as the world accepts that games can have mature and adult content we can all move on. They still sound surprised that its a violent game, even though way back on PS1 there were Silent Hill and Resi Evil. Do they still feel that all games are for kids? Dont they realize that as a medium, gaming has grown comparable to movies now.....as in there are games for everyone. Kids and adults. Parents are stupid if they dont get second thoughts when seeing the big red 18 on the box.

I think instead of these news agencies moaning, i think they should also mention that GTA5 is a mature game aimed at adults only.....dont buy it for your kid.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
If this happens in real life to real people... many will defend it saying "They deserved it" or it was necessary.

If it happens in a game then those same people will scream and rage and blog about how vile it is.
Skewed priorities much?

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
"This adds insult to injury for survivors who are left physically and mentally scarred by torture in the real world," he said. "If Rockstar North's message is a satirical critique of the practice of torture, it's lost on us."

I find this statement obnoxious. It does not add any insult to injury, it's just a piece of fiction for crying out loud. He says this like people who have experienced torture should be all up in arms about it or feel some kind of anger toward a bunch of fictional portrayals. The fact that he doesn't see the satire in it is meaningless. Even if it wasn't satirical (I think it probably is, as is everything in GTA) and actually held up torture as a valuable intel gathering tool,that would just make the creator a fool, and I don't think people should be offended by fools.

BlindTom

Aug 8, 2008
The entire questline is a condemnation of human rights violations in the name of "the war on terror"....

SPOILERS AHEAD

You rescue the victim from a branch of the government who are currently torturing him, only to have the branch you are working for instruct Trevor (a complete fucking maniac) to torture him instead. The information provided from the torture scene is vague and multiple lampshades are hung on this fact. Michael- the assasin who acts upon the information- even remarks that he probably "killed a man who didn't deserve it" based on the description given by the victim that contained phrases like "average height, average build." After the scene is over Trevor is instructed to kill the man he has tortured, he instead drives him to the airport, instructing him to live on under the radar since anything else would be becoming a "torture advocate."

Trevor openly admits that he tortured a man because he is a total fucking monster and enjoyed it, not because it was useful or right. If that isn't a condemnation of torture then what is?

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Only pulling teeth and electrocutions?

If thats whats making Amnesty get pissy then i would love to see what they think about MGS5.

M920CAIN

May 24, 2011
I saw all the torture scenes. They are for wimps. If you people think that is sadistic, vile, cruel, I think you are too privileged, you've lived only the good life and have no idea how cruel the world can be. By all means, you as players have killed millions/ billions / trillions of NPCs in a videogame, and you think GTA V's torture scene is cruel? You make me laugh, hypocrisy at its finest.

MasAcERd

Nov 9, 2009
Having played through that section I cannot see how they could think that the torture seen (and played) was glorified. no witty comments or satire are found when torturing the character so it's above me how anyone could think that this section could be anything but a brutal depiction of torture meant to shed light on how horrible tortue is and to show just how bad the character is.

Anyway I thought the tool used was a big monkey wrench?