Walking Dead, Mark of the Ninja Devs Form New Studio

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
Walking Dead, Mark of the Ninja Devs Form New Studio

Designers for two of last year's critical darlings have joined together to form their own studio.

Jake Rodkin and Sean Vanaman, two of the chief designers and writers behind TellTale Games' critically-acclaimed The Walking Dead, have formed a new company alongside Nels Anderson, the lead designer for stealth game Mark of the Ninja. Just for good measure, they're also bringing along Olly Moss, an artist and graphic designer whose previous credits include Lucasfilm and Studio Ghibli.

Their new company, Campo Santo, was announced yesterday with the launch of their blog. The new, San Francisco-based studio is also looking for a 3D environment artist , so pass that along if you know someone who fits the bill. While the studio hasn't announced their first title yet, it will be available for PC, Mac and Linux and be made in collaboration with Mac and iPhone app developer Panic Inc.

The Walking Dead, for those few of you still unfamiliar with it, won a cavalcade of game of the year awards following its release in 2012, with numerous critics praising its writing and story. Klei Entertainment's Mark of the Ninja, meanwhile, was praised for <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/9984-Mark-of-the-Ninja-Review>reinvigorating the stealth genre. While the nature of Campo Santo's first title is pure speculation at this point, it goes without saying that it's going to come with quite a pedigree.

Source: Joystiq.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
This pleases me greatly. Both of those games are amazing, and I'm really looking forward to what they come up with.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Does that mean the TWD sequel won't have the people who made the original great working on it?

Dec 14, 2009
Zhukov said:
Does that mean the TWD sequel won't have the people who made the original great working on it?
Maybe the writing is already done?

I mean, the sequel is set to come out at the end of the year, and I'm sure the writing would be the first thing that would have been finalised.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
Klei already had some pretty interesting writing in some of their games, and all they were missing was the volume of good stuff. This'll be interesting.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Shit, that's some damn fine pedigree all round there. Definitely keeping an eye on that name for sure.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Wow, talk about dream team. Just add in Nobuo Uematsu and tell me the stock symbol.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
That's quite the stack of résumés. I hope they have enough business savvy- or can get someone to provide it- to actually bring forth a functional company.

Look forward to seeing what the new studio brings.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Sweet - I look forward to playing their COD knock-off.

I kid. Writer for well-written game gets together with designer from well-designed game. Their babies will be gorgeous.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Some sort of Tenchu-esque stealth game with well written characters and a choice/consequence system would be pretty spiffy.

Keen to see what they can come up with.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Zhukov said:
Maybe the writing is already done?

I mean, the sequel is set to come out at the end of the year, and I'm sure the writing would be the first thing that would have been finalised.
Hopin you're right there. Would hate to see season 2 suffer because of this.

On topic! Can't wait to see what they put out there.