Joss Whedon Helped Fix Thor: The Dark World Script

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
Joss Whedon Helped Fix Thor: The Dark World Script

[tweet t=http://twitter.com/josswhedon/status/380731941579808768]

Director Alan Taylor "airlifted in" Joss Whedon in when several scenes were not working in the Thor sequel.

When the upcoming Thor sequel needed a pep talk, Marvel called in Joss Whedon. Three scenes in the upcoming Thor: The Dark World movie were rewritten by Whedon at the last minute, at the request of director Alan Taylor. Taylor told SFX magazine, "[Whedon] basically got airlifted in, like a SWAT team or something." The Avengers director is well acquainted with the Asgardian hero and his brother-turned-nemesis Loki, and so was a perfect fit for reworking the script. Taylor says that after Whedon's edits, "[the scenes] were just much better and much lighter on their feet. Much more fun, much more surprising than what we had been trying to do." Once the rewrites were reported, Whedon expressed his disappointment on Twitter that no one mentioned his body doubling for Chris Hemsworth.

Taylor has previously directed episodes of the television series Mad Men and Game of Thrones. Thor: The Dark World follows the events of Thor and The Avengers, with Thor facing a shadowy enemy that threatens to destroy all the Nine Realms (Asgard and Earth included). Whedon has been hard at work on another Avengers related project, the television series Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.. The series will follow agents of the secret military law-enforcement agency, with Clark Gregg reprising his role as Agent Phil Coulson from The Avengers movie. Whedon is well known for his television work, writing and directing the series Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Firefly, and DollHouse.

Thor: The Dark World opens in theaters in the United States on November 8, 2013.

Source: ComicBookMovie.com [http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=87241]

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
This is only fitting to be honest as it seems he is one of the main masterminds now driving Marvel's continued dominance of the movie comic world. Not to be confused with the Comic movie world which is less driven and the only note worthy mention in my mind for the upcoming Anchorman 2 it had better be good or i will hurt something.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Silly media. How could they forget to mention something as important as Whedon acting as a body double? My only concern there is that we might notice the sudden change from Hemsworth to an Adonis of Whedon's stature.

Interesting to hear how Whedon was "airlifted" in like a SWAT team to rewrite some scenes. It shows that Marvel has a lot of faith in his work. And he has earned it, I think. I doubt anyone else could have pulled off Avengers. But I am kind of concerned to hear that they made some last minute rewrites to the script of the upcoming Thor movie. It looks pretty good, but rarely do last minute rewrites speak well of a project.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
*audible groan* Not that I dislike Joss Whedon, but I find him to be overrated. Maybe its because I never watched any of his shows until way after they came out, but I found The Avengers to be too self referential and smug with all it's character dialogues that it hurt the story. It came out looking like a tv sitcom at times like it was padding things out until the alien invasion.

I want the Marvel Universe to be as diverse as the characters who get movies. Same with Directors. I want a Marvel Movie Universe that isn't Joss Whedon and Joss Whedon only.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
I probably think "reworking the script" is a bit overkill for what he actually did.

Sounds to me like they had a few "from my point of view the Jedi are evil" script horror dialogue moments, so the called Joss in to rework the dialogue and scene so that it was better.

I seriously doubt he actually he actually changed the script/plot of the movie. Especially given his tweet.

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
Saltyk said:
Silly media. How could they forget to mention something as important as Whedon acting as a body double? My only concern there is that we might notice the sudden change from Hemsworth to an Adonis of Whedon's stature.

Interesting to hear how Whedon was "airlifted" in like a SWAT team to rewrite some scenes. It shows that Marvel has a lot of faith in his work. And he has earned it, I think. I doubt anyone else could have pulled off Avengers. But I am kind of concerned to hear that they made some last minute rewrites to the script of the upcoming Thor movie. It looks pretty good, but rarely do last minute rewrites speak well of a project.
Yes. It makes me wonder what his script for Wonder Woman was like. And why it was rejected.

Nuxxy

Feb 3, 2011
sleeky01 said:
Yes. It makes me wonder what his script for Wonder Woman was like. And why it was rejected.
Marvel's willingness to take risks > DC's willingness to take risks. "Man of Steel" didn't have quite the reception we wanted! Send in the Batman. He's not the IP we want, but he's the IP we need.

I wonder if they even considered making Man of Steel two with Wonder Woman instead of Batman, leading on to a seperate Wonder Woman movie. Coz that's what Marvel would have done.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
sleeky01 said:
It probably didn't feature enough scenes of her naked and trying to commit suicide.

How long will it be until Whedon is just plugged in to the Marvel supercomputer to handle all scriptwriting duties and possibly take over the world? One day he is tweaking someone's script, the next he's directing. Slowly taking over all of the Marvel movie franchises until only Whedon remains. Maybe he's a Borg or something.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
CriticalMiss said:
Maybe he's a Borg or something.
"We are the Whedon. Your script will be assimilated. We will add our stylistic distinctiveness to your own. Your movie will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile."

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
I just feel bad for every other writer for this movie. Now, even if he's listed somewhere obscure in size 3 font, the only name nerds are going to pay attention to is Joss Whedon. Aw man... Now I'm genuinely concerned about people missing out on other good writers because Mr. Whedon did some punch-up.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
shirkbot said:
I just feel bad for every other writer for this movie. Now, even if he's listed somewhere obscure in size 3 font, the only name nerds are going to pay attention to is Joss Whedon. Aw man... Now I'm genuinely concerned about people missing out on other good writers because Mr. Whedon did some punch-up.
In fairness, it would have been different had Wheedon been in on the script writing from the beginning - we could argue "he's over shadowing the other writers but we really don't know how much input he had. Perhaps they only added his name for the notoriety." But having other writers, Whedon not being a part of it, and then having to bring Wheedon in to "fix" what the original writers couldn't really undermines the original writers. To me it's like mom not being able to handle the kids and yelling for dad to come establish order. Sure, it gets the job done, but the kids will never respect mom.

I really hope this movie is good, as well as successful. Thor's the character that I find most interesting in the Marvel movie universe. Granted, I have yet to see Iron Man 3, and I loved Robert in the first Iron Man, but I'm far more interested in Thor as a charcter. Perhaps due to having seen less of him than Stark, and being able to relate to him quite a bit more than Steve Rogers.

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
tdylan said:
In fairness, it would have been different had Wheedon been in on the script writing from the beginning - we could argue "he's over shadowing the other writers but we really don't know how much input he had. Perhaps they only added his name for the notoriety." But having other writers, Whedon not being a part of it, and then having to bring Wheedon in to "fix" what the original writers couldn't really undermines the original writers. To me it's like mom not being able to handle the kids and yelling for dad to come establish order. Sure, it gets the job done, but the kids will never respect mom.

I really hope this movie is good, as well as successful. Thor's the character that I find most interesting in the Marvel movie universe. Granted, I have yet to see Iron Man 3, and I loved Robert in the first Iron Man, but I'm far more interested in Thor as a charcter. Perhaps due to having seen less of him than Stark, and being able to relate to him quite a bit more than Steve Rogers.
I can actually respect where you're coming from, but to use your mom and dad metaphor ad absurdum: It's like mom calling for dad to restore order and dad completely obliterating the idea of mom in the process. The reason I object is not because someone had to "fix" the writing. Even the best writers need editors simply because everything already makes sense to them even if it's not gelling for anyone else. The reason I object is because Whedon is a big enough name in his own right to actually distort perceptions of a product's quality, and the credit given to those he works with. I'm glad whatever it was is now "fixed," but his status as something of a nerd-Christ means that his involvement will almost certainly overshadow the legitimate contributions of others to some extent. Though for full disclosure I just react badly to his fanbase, so this is likely to be somewhat unfounded paranoia on my part.