State of Decay Hits Steam Early Access Tomorrow

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012

State of Decay's zombie-infested survivalist playground will be opening its doors to PC players in a matter of hours. Surprise!

PC gamers rejoiced when Undead Labs announced that the formerly Xbox 360-exclusive zombie sandbox State of Decay would migrate to Steam sometime this year. Things have been pretty quiet since then, until the studio mentioned today that the game will be arriving on Steam soon - as in, tomorrow. Players will be able to dive into the open-world survival game via Steam Early Access, but this is very much early access - the PC version isn't quite complete yet, lacking some little features like keyboard and mouse controls.

If you've got an Xbox 360 controller or equivalent gamepad handy, you can use it to do your zed-slaying in the meantime. Undead Labs wants to make it clear that the definitive PC version is yet to come, and the build being released tomorrow is probably riddled with bugs, but it's presentable enough that fans can play it at their own risk.

"This process is not for everyone," the studio's blog states. "Casual players, the easily frustrated, and the short of time should NOT get the Early Access version. Hey, I am all three of those things, y'all. Those are not criticisms. It's just that we want everyone to have the experience that best suits their needs. You all deserve the best, so if you're not into giving feedback, just wait a few months and play the final version after we make it great."

Those who don't mind their games rough can find State of Decay available on Steam tomorrow for $20, which will include a free upgrade to the full version when it launches later this year.

Source: Undead Labs [http://undeadlabs.com/2013/09/news/greetings-pc-players-the-steam-release-date-is/]

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
I might be more into giving feedback if they had keyboard and mouse controls. That seems like a really important thing to have even for a beta. o_O

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
LetalisK said:
I might be more into giving feedback if they had keyboard and mouse controls. That seems like a really important thing to have even for a beta. o_O
Yeah, that's kind of annoying. Looks like I need to go find my xbox controller.. It's been MIA for months.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
:D

Friggin' low content. I mean, what more is needed to be said?

Great! Now to dig up my girlfriend's controller... might even buy one in preparation for GTA5's driving and flying segments.

Dec 14, 2009
I was wondering when this game would finally show up on PC :D

I don't feel like being a beta tester though, so I'll wait for a couple more months for the full release. I've waited this long, I can wait a little longer.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
That is awesome, I have been waiting for this. It's rare for me to want to bother with an early access game, but I'm in on this one. It's feature complete, but needs a lot of polish, so that is good. It's not like Early Access for Planetary Annihilation where it doesn't have anywhere near the features the final product will have.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Will not buy until I hear the condition the game is in. Early Access or not the 30 version is still suffering from some glitches and I'd like to know if the PC version is at least stable before money is given.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Cognimancer said:

State of Decay's zombie-infested survivalist playground will be opening its doors to PC players in a matter of hours. Surprise!

PC gamers rejoiced when Undead Labs announced that the formerly Xbox 360-exclusive zombie sandbox State of Decay would migrate to Steam sometime this year. Things have been pretty quiet since then, until the studio mentioned today that the game will be arriving on Steam soon - as in, tomorrow. Players will be able to dive into the open-world survival game via Steam Early Access, but this is very much early access - the PC version isn't quite complete yet, lacking some little features like keyboard and mouse controls.

If you've got an Xbox 360 controller or equivalent gamepad handy, you can use it to do your zed-slaying in the meantime. Undead Labs wants to make it clear that the definitive PC version is yet to come, and the build being released tomorrow is probably riddled with bugs, but it's presentable enough that fans can play it at their own risk.

"This process is not for everyone," the studio's blog states. "Casual players, the easily frustrated, and the short of time should NOT get the Early Access version. Hey, I am all three of those things, y'all. Those are not criticisms. It's just that we want everyone to have the experience that best suits their needs. You all deserve the best, so if you're not into giving feedback, just wait a few months and play the final version after we make it great."

Those who don't mind their games rough can find State of Decay available on Steam tomorrow for $20, which will include a free upgrade to the full version when it launches later this year.

Source: Undead Labs [http://undeadlabs.com/2013/09/news/greetings-pc-players-the-steam-release-date-is/]

Has there ever been a PC game that didn't have M/K support even for an alpha? I dunno why but that just really threw me off.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Hrm... the question is, will my PS 3 controller work if i use the DS3/motion joy Tool.. it has the same amount of buttons and everything.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
GAunderrated said:
Has there ever been a PC game that didn't have M/K support even for an alpha? I dunno why but that just really threw me off.
I used to have a few games that aside from pressing a key to start or possibly pause were joypad only. Granted, this was back in the stone age of gaming, when we used telephone lines for internet and had to hand-crank our modems.

Do you mean recently?

Anyway, I tried the demo for the 360 and it was...Eh.

I could see buying the complete version, if it's solid, in a Steam sale. But 20 bucks? Especially as an "early access" title?

Screw that.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well they better put up a giant neon sign on their page notifying people shit don't work with KB&M, I sure as hell am not playing a third person shooter without my trusty mouse.
And it might be a good time to consider mod options, because I distinctly remember this game on consoles being on the anemic side of things, yes it is very functional and pretty but 3 hours in you kind of seen it all.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
I don't even have a controler - but I'll buy it anyway the moment I see it on the steam store

I've been waiting for this game to come to PC ever since I saw the earliest reviews and lets plays of it

EeviStev

Mar 2, 2011
I'd just like to share what I said out loud- to myself- when I read the headline: "Holy fuck, yes."

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Karadalis said:
Hrm... the question is, will my PS 3 controller work if i use the DS3/motion joy Tool.. it has the same amount of buttons and everything.
Just run it in 360 emulation and it works with every game out of the box these days anymore. I do not even bother with ps2 or ps3 ds unless i am playing pcsx.

Granfaloon

Apr 25, 2013
Bought this, it's not bad at all, somewhat glitchy but it doesn't effect the overall gameplay much though. My only gripe is the graphics not being all that great. I'm running it at max settings and it's low resolution textures and hard to distinguish things all around.