Molyneux Not Impressed by GTA V's Sales

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Molyneux Not Impressed by GTA V's Sales

Peter Molyneux, Fable creator and Maker of Promises, thinks Grand Theft Auto V's record-shattering sales this week are "not impressive."

There must be a party in the Rockstar offices right now, as the launch of Grand Theft Auto V proved to be an unprecedented success. The game made $1 billion in sales [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127931-Grand-Theft-Auto-V-Sells-800-Million-On-Launch-Day]. But is this enough to impress Fable creator Peter Molyneux? No, apparently it is not. In a speech at a Mobile Entertainment conference Molyneux remarked that GTA V's sales are less impressive than those of some mobile games.

"The newly released Grand Theft Auto V is a game that's everywhere, you can hardly avoid it. It will achieve around $1 billion in revenue on consoles in just one month. Sounds impressive, doesn't it? No. That's not impressive." It's worth noting that Molyneux's benchmark of a billion dollars has already been met, in 10% of his predicted time.

"What is outstandingly impressive is the success of mobile companies like Supercell, who has released games including Hay Day and Clash of Clans. Those games, which were released 18 months ago, are achieving revenue between $3 million and $5 million each day. That is impressive."

Alright, we get it - when you're giving a speech to mobile developers, you have to talk up mobile games. Supercell's sales figures are indisputably impressive, Molyneux's right about that. But at the same time, you probably don't have to dis the new fastest-selling entertainment product is history to get that point across.

Source: Mobile Entertainment [http://www.mobile-ent.biz/news/read/peter-molyneux-that-bastard-steve-jobs-changed-my-life-forever/022388]

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
I wonder if there's some sort of equation to accurately predict how much these mobile games would have sold if they were going for the same price as a brand new hard-copy of a AAA console game?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
So in other words..."It's a big market with big numbers."
Thanks Molyneux. I never would have guessed.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
I've always respected Molyneux, not for the pre-emptive over-hyping of his own products, but for his enthusiasm towards gaming in general.

So, the question is... when did he become such a douche?

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Learn to talk peter, a game with a budget of 250 million vs games that cost a fraction of that, so in percentage terms you could find indy and mobile titles that made the same or more return on their initial investment.

I bet peter would be happy as a hog in heat if he ever sold a billion worth of anything. And judging from the latest godeus build he is trying to do it nickle and dime style. Since he seems to be making a cow clicker cash farm rather than an actual game.

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
Molyneux, I disagree with your opinion. I think that it's impressive that a game where the question; "what is its appeal", is a legitimate criticism can make a lot of money.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Nothing impresses Peter unless it has the ability to fart and burp. *giggle*

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
not that I give a dime about GTA V or Rockstar but they hit their target market full scale, while Peter is just outright dickish, ... as usual.

I am so glad I did not support his Godus thing. Just thinking about what this jerk has meant to the gaming culture in the 90ties makes me want to cry myself to sleep.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
Nothing impresses Peter unless it has the ability to fart and burp. *giggle*
And don't forget progressively age, in REAL TIME!

Oh Peter, you and your hubris.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Put your money where your mouth is, Mr Over-Promise-Under-Deliver - if it doesn't impress you, surely you can do better?

Dammit now I have Shania Twain stuck in my head.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Well, I guess he'll have to show the world what a successful game really is and make billions from Godus. That'll teach those damned Scots and their highly successful and profitable franchise that doesn't use microtransactions!

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
Molyneux has always been a moron, will always continue to be a moron and will out-moron any moron that ever did their hardest to be a moron!

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Peter, make another good game and I'll be happy to listen to you. Dungeon Keeper was a long time ago...

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I've never really liked this guy. He's always just rubbed me the wrong way I guess. Different personalities and such. I think it started when I watched him promise all these things in Fable, and then failed to deliver and he just kept doing the same thing over and over. He's always seemed a bit too arrogant for me to like him.
This is not helping change my opinion in the slightest.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Im not suprised by the sales (its GTA, it was obvious that it was going to sell incredibly well) but I am impressed by him not being impressed, this is the guy that sees magic in having a leaf grow in real time. I was expecting something more then "meh, seen better".

Dominic Crossman

Apr 15, 2013
AndrewC said:
Molyneux has always been a moron, will always continue to be a moron and will out-moron any moron that ever did their hardest to be a moron!
Couldn't put better myself, and believe me I spent the last 5 minutes trying.
Moronic moron mumbles to mobile morons.
Meh, I give up.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
I read a post might have been on here, where one of the posters said to have worked with the guy.

The guys really brilliant has great ideas, but he lacks focus, he jumps form idea to idea, wants to work on 50 different things at the same time, has no reguard for the work involved, and often gets so far to finally realize it cannot be done (due to engine or time or w/e) and ends up dropping stuff left and right.

That was how i recall the poster describing working with the man.

All that and he has had people for the last 20 years kissing his ass telling him how great he is. Hey peter you are a creative guy but you are not ceo, or even department head material. You need guidance badly, and you need it fast, else your game guru days are numbered, you no longer have EA, or activision, or microsoft to blame for stifling your greatness, you games fail now you fail.

I think 22 cans will go down in a heap of flames. all far more pr than substance, with peter once again overreaching and not reaching the actual finish.

Get some help now, before godeus gets any worse.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Proverbial Jon said:
I've always respected Molyneux, not for the pre-emptive over-hyping of his own products, but for his enthusiasm towards gaming in general.

So, the question is... when did he become such a douche?
To be fair he's always been a bit of a douche, but the loveable kind. In true Molyneux fashion, hes gone up on stage and developed tunnel vision towards his target audience, forgetting that everything hes says will be taken elsewhere.

Seriously, once you start to view Molyneux as like the old drunk relative at a family gathering who keeps bullshitting, it gets a lot more acceptable. :p