GOG Talks Up the Process of Reviving Retro Games

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
GOG Talks Up the Process of Reviving Retro Games

GOG's Trevor Longino wants to add Mechwarrior and the LucasArts library to the retailer's retro offerings.

Since its inception Good Old Games, or GOG, as its known now, has delivered retro PC titles to gamers who, for years, had little recourse but struggle with compatibility issues. Now, five years since the digital retailer first launched, it possesses a product line vastly expanded from its original offerings. Its ever growing library of old school games has also been bolstered by the addition of the newer and independently developed titles. That being said, retro is still GOG's core and the digital retailer recently took the time to run us through the process of acquiring old games and reviving them for modern audiences.

"At GOG.com, we have a few ways of selecting our classic games," explained PR head Trevor Longino. "One is our personal recollections--we have quite a lot of knowledgeable gamers on staff so they have tons of memories and insight." The team's personal experiences are also bolstered by ratings sites like Metacritc as well as GOG user wishlists "which we've found [are] one of the strongest indicators of our community's interest in a title."

The desires of its customers and team set aside, new additions to the GOG library often come down to what the website can "realistically" get its hands on. "Some of the games we'd love to sign are in such legal tangles that we don't pursue it actively until and unless we learn something new about the game that indicates that we may be able to sign it."

These legal obstacles are sometimes exacerbated by GOG's dedication to keeping its products DRM-free. While it's a stance that arguably draws in customers looking for an alternative to more restrictive digital retailers, it occasionally leads to "rights-holders [not wanting] to deal with GOG." That being the case the company has often found that "time and patience" can shift the tide of negotiations. "The sole fact that we have been a successful business--for 5 years and counting--that is based around the belief in absolute rejection of DRM is reason enough for our current and future partners to at least entertain the idea of, sooner or later, embracing the DRM-free goodness."

The retro release process, of course, doesn't stop with the mere acquisition of rights. A big part of GOG's success has been the fact that its retro offerings are playable out of the box (metaphorically speaking), making it easy for gamers to revisit old favorites on new machines. The adaptation process can vary in length from about "4 weeks to 4 months" depending on the game. "<a href=http://www.gog.com/game/theme_hospital>Theme Hospital, for example, was a bear to get working," said Longino. "There is always a lot of trouble with most of the early Windows 95 games that were developed at the time when DOS-based Windows was becoming a thing of the past. Some of these games are still 16-bit and making them run on 64-bit systems is one hell of a job."

Legal and technical difficulties aside, GOG has pushed forward adding counting classics and, of course, continuing its pursuit of others. "I'm a huge fan of the Mechwarrior games and I'd love to add them," shared Longino. He also wouldn't mind adding titles "from the late, great LucasArts." These are just the tip of iceberg however. "There are so many classic games out there...and we're definitely not giving up on any of them."

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
I would say it can't be done; but I said System Shock 2 can't be done, so shows what I know.

Though dealing with Disney is another thing entirely...

Bug MuIdoon

Mar 28, 2013
I would literally squeal like a girl if they managed to get Grim Fandango on there. I really don't see it happening, but if it did I'd be one happy cat.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
As I always say, God Bless GOG. These guys are awesome, even if I haven't bought a lot from them.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
If they put out a classic Lucas Arts bundle I'd get it in a heart beat. But since Disney have gobbled up Lucas Arts they are probably lost to time.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I don't see what companies lose from letting CDPR put games on GoG. Games that are so old they won't even run on modern systems. Games are so old production has stopped (so all copies will be sold used).

GoG's way, they modernise the game I assume themselves, so no effort is made from the other companies. They run the DD themselves which is probably not cheap. And I assume companies get a portion of the revenue for doing absolutely nothing, AND interest in their IP goes up so if they decide to remake something or whatever, more people are likely to buy it.

The_Great_Galendo

Sep 14, 2012
CardinalPiggles said:
I don't see what companies lose from letting CDPR put games on GoG. Games that are so old they won't even run on modern systems. Games are so old production has stopped (so all copies will be sold used).

GoG's way, they modernise the game I assume themselves, so no effort is made from the other companies. They run the DD themselves which is probably not cheap. And I assume companies get a portion of the revenue for doing absolutely nothing, AND interest in their IP goes up so if they decide to remake something or whatever, more people are likely to buy it.
The only thing I can think is that maybe companies think that either a) they'll do a re-release at some point, and having another version of the same game out there and available will complete with their future product, or b) releasing older titles for cheap might provide competition for their newest offerings in the same franchise. After all, the newest game in a series isn't always the best one.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
It's a shame that out of all major videogame entities, there is only ONE that understands the importance of archiving the classics as playable without need for extraneous internet services (GoG).

Bear in mind that I have nothing against Steam.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
System Shock 2 and Shadow Man were pretty much impossible and look at them now! :D

My wishlist for retro revivals is quickly dwindling thanks to GOG, I honestly can't think of any other retro games to fit their already massive library (only American McGee's Alice), they already have Screamer 2 (wich I still own the retail box), Populous: The Beginning, Shadow Man, Rayman 1/2 (and Origins thrown in for good measure), the Legacy of Kain series, the Prince of Persia trilogy (plus the 2008 version thrown in for good measure), Clive Barker's Undying and many more.

I'd be completely satisfied if they decided to stop there, but they always manage to surprise with great obscure releases :)

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
I want to see more games like Tone Rebellion, Chaos Gate, Hexplore etc.; you know, more obscure Good Old Games. I absolutely adore the big ones like System Shock 2, no question about it, but one thing I like about a lot of the games on GOG are their niche appeal even way back when. I hope they'll continue reviving those as well.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
Aren't retro games alive and well with all the shit 8bit indie games coming out right now?

WHY DO WE NEED MORE OF THESE?

If you want to revive production of the snes and ps1 then let me know what I can sign. If you want to flood the internet with more shit Castlevania clones then fuck off.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
If they somehow manage to get their hands on Tie Fighter (Collector's Edition, of course), I will throw my entire wallet at them.

Even though Disney, one of the worst offenders of jealously hoarding IPs, owns the Star Wars license, I'm hoping that EA (the ones currently in charge of making Star Wars games) might come through. As much as I despise most of their business practices, I have to give them credit for releasing classics like the Wing Commander and Ultima series on GoG.

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
Entomorph Plague of the Darkfall. This windows 95? SSI game? (I don't quite remember) was fantastic, IMO. It was scary, but at times funny. It had a great progression system, (you slowly turn into a badass giant praying mantis that spits acid, or you could stay human and use magic, I think) the voice acting was pretty good, and it had nice colorful graphics for the time. The soundtrack was pretty cool too. It also featured some pretty challenging puzzles.

I liked that old game, but it doesn't work for crap on newer systems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttvsEC5VVuU

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
CardinalPiggles said:

In a lot of cases with the older games, a large number of the companies have gone bust or have been taken over and then closed down with bits sold on. Its not always clear who owns what now. The rights to some these games have ended up with banks which themselves have been taken over or broken apart. Chasing down ownership is task in itself and then you have to persuade who has the rights now to agree to deal. Take the case of System Shock 2, the rights to the game ended up spilt between EA and an insurance company. The enduring popularity of the SS2 made pursuing the rights worthwhile but for a lot less popular games it will cost more to sort the rights than the game will make in sales.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I have Day of the Tentacle on disk, but I don't care. If they get Lucasarts stuff onto gog.com, I'm buying five copies: one for me and the rest for me.

RyQ_TMC

Apr 24, 2009
GOG does this nice thing when every now and then, when you think "OK, my game library is chock full of revived oldies, what else can they publish?" and then BAM, a major old hit comes out. It's nicer to the brain than to the wallet though.

There's a few games I'd love to see released (War Along the Mohawk and 101st Airborne in Normandy are on top of my wishlist), but presumably potential audience is too small to invest in getting them on.

For a while, it seemed like they would shift completely to indies. But I'm a happy camper now, since there were some major oldie releases recently. Still my favourite DD platform.

EDIT: Holy crap, that first sentence is painful to read. But I won't change it.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
verdant monkai said:
Aren't retro games alive and well with all the shit 8bit indie games coming out right now?

WHY DO WE NEED MORE OF THESE?

If you want to revive production of the snes and ps1 then let me know what I can sign. If you want to flood the internet with more shit Castlevania clones then fuck off.
What are you on about? Do you know what GOG is and what they do? Have you even read the article? Or any of the comments?

GOG doesn't develop retro-style games.

They re-release actual retro PC games.

Stuff like Ultima, Thief, Syndicate Duke Nukem 3D and so on. Old games from the 80's, 90's and early 2000's, as well as the occasional new game, mostly the better indies. They thinker a little with the games so they run on modern hardware. Then they sell them for a fair price, often adding neat extras like soundtracks or artwork. And best of all? No DRM or any other snakes in the grass. You buy the game, you download it and it is yours to do with whatever you want for as long as you want. Easy, painless, great.

In short, GOG is fucking awesome. They are some of the broest of bros in the games industry.

Have a look [http://www.gog.com/]