Battlefield 4's New Weapon Customization Options

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Battlefield 4's New Weapon Customization Options

Canted iron sights, new grip options, and active camouflage are just a few of the new customization options you can look forward to in Battlefield 4.

Battlefield 4 Lead Core Game Designer Alan Kertz recently showed off demo of some of the new weapon and vehicle customization options we can look forward to in the latest Battlefield. As well as many of the old tried-and-true options longtime fans are used to, there are a number of new toys for us to play with, included "canted" iron sights (the ability to have two sights on a single gun without respawning), a multitude of new grip options, and "active camouflage", which will change depending on the map.

When customising, players are presented with a 3D model of their weapon which allows them to view every detail. Secondary weapons, IE: pistols, can also be fully customized just like your main weapon. There is a huge variety of new paint jobs for weapons, and you won't have to unlock them for each individual gun: unlocking a paint job unlocks it for every weapon.

In the video Kertz is shown selecting the "ergonomic grip", which is much better suited for running and gunning, as opposed to other grips that work better when you stop to take the shot.

Kertz also told us a bit about how the "active camouflage" option for vehicles would work. Basically, it changes depending on the map: if you are playing in a desert, you'll get a desert-storm type camouflage, if it's a city, you'll get a lot more blues and grays.

Lastly, we were shown something called "tired reloading". Tiered reloading means you now don't have to play entire reload animations if you switch weapons halfway through a reload sequence. Once the clip has been removed and you switch to another weapon, switching back means you just have to put the new clip in and fire.

Source: YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5jYY4vH1SE]

Bindal

May 14, 2012
None of that is really "new", seen all of it in various other games or mods. Tho it is the first time all of it is in the same. Kinda neat. Especially like the reload-feature, which should be more common if you ask me.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
That reloading thing needs to be in every single game with a gun. I get really frustrated having to reload guns several times because I'm just too quick to switch and there's 0.05 seconds or something left on the reload animation!

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
I like weapon customisation in any game, and that reload feature is to shooters what Blade Mode should be to hack-and-slashes: Something that should become a staple of the genre because it's awesome.

FrozenLaughs

Sep 9, 2013
Always annoyed be developers who spend thousands of hours creating in depth gun based games, yet still call it a "clip". Even more so in a military shooter.

*sigh* I need some coffee. :D

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Love the new reloading animation.

Also love how the comments section of the video devolved into a pointless PC vs Console war, all because one person said he had pre-ordered his copy for Xbone and then the PC only people felt the stupid need to feed their already giant ego.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
I guess decorating a gun is kinda cool. Any degree of customization is fun in games. It brings you closer to your character(s). Not really sure about the whole reloading thing. In most games I see people using burst fire or reload well before they're empty. But I guess that second it saves can be the difference between life in death in multiplayer. Otherwise can't feel too excited about this news. Just seems abit funny that the more realistic the shooters get (look) the less realistic we want them.