Halo Writer Joseph Staten Leaves Bungie

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Halo Writer Joseph Staten Leaves Bungie

He wants to take up new creative opportunities.

You may not know who Joseph Staten is, but if you've ever played Halo then you know what he's done. He's written, either as lead or as co-writer, pretty much every Halo title since 2001's Combat evolved, right up to 2010's Reach, and even did the voices for many of the Grunts and the Superintendent from Halo 3: ODST. His novel Halo: Contact Harvest, became a New York Times bestseller, and he's one of the longest serving employees at Bungie, having been with the company since Myth. But all good things come to an end, and Staten has announced his departure from his longtime employer, as he's off to seek new creative opportunities.

"While this may come as a surprise, fear not," says Staten. "It's been my pleasure building Destiny [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/10409-Destiny-Is-Masterful-Game-Making-from-Bungie] these past four years, and after the big reveal this Summer, our hugely talented team is on track for greatness." Staten's a major talent, and Bungie's sorry to see him go, but also deeply grateful for the good times.

As for what those new creative opportunities might be, your guess is as good as mine. Staten's not about to say, just yet.

Source: Bungie [http://www.bungie.net/en/News/News?aid=11101]

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Thank you for the child hood memories. I really wish I could leave it at that but I cannot (malevolently loaded statement ;-) ). I can easily say that Halo defined quite a bit of my imagination as a child and a part of my creative vision to this day.

Thank you and good luck.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Awwwwwww! I jumped on the Halo wagon late but you're gonna be missed pal. Christ, you had a hand in making the damn Arbiter! Remember that with pride.

Yeesh...hope this doesn't affect the development of Destiny badly.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
erttheking said:
Awwwwwww! I jumped on the Halo wagon late but you're gonna be missed pal. Christ, you had a hand in making the damn Arbiter! Remember that with pride.

I think it's fair to say that story is probably well flushed out by this point.

OT: Good luck on whatever future endeavour you have, there's definitely lots of potential.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
The following is dedicated to you Joseph:

Bungie will miss you greatly, the Halo brand has not been the same since you guys left but thank you for everything you did on Halo and may the future burn bright for you.

Now if it were Jaime Giesemer I would be beyond heart broken.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
erttheking said:

It might, but he's already been working on it for four years, I think whatever he did at least some of it is already concrete foundation. But yes, sad to seem him leave. Such a cool guy and always seemed to be happy with what he was doing. His hijinks with Marty were always fun to hear about.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
After listening to the Bungie podcast the same day this was announced, I'm confident that there are many, many more people who share Staten's love for building beautiful, living worlds working at Bungie. I'm confident they can hold down the fort while Joe leaves to pursue whatever plans he has.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
This is a real shock. I thought Staten was a Bungie lifer for sure. I hope he finds whatever he's looking for. Bungie really won't be the same without him.

Apr 28, 2008
Love Halo, and I've met some damn fine people in Halo 2 who are still my friends today. Sad to see him go, but I hope he's successful, in whatever he chooses to do.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Uratoh said:
Is it wrong that I read this as 'Joseph Stalin Leaves Bungie'?
I've always had the problem of reading it as "Joseph Satan".

Dethenger

Jul 27, 2011
I'm actually really sad to see this guy leave Bungie, I always really liked him. Oh well.

Irradiated Tiger

Feb 8, 2010
Sad to see him go. I've always enjoyed his work and his personality in the behind the scenes. Best of luck to his future endeavors.

Texas Joker 52

All hail the Pun Meister!
Jun 25, 2011
A real shame to see him go. A true Bungie Veteran. Well I hope he finds success in his new creative venture. And remember, Joe:

You'll always be part of Bungie to me.

TheIceQueen

Sep 15, 2013
See you, Space Cowboy... Bungie just won't be the same without you.

I hope he finds those new creative opportunities.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Farewell Mr. Staten, thanks for giving us all the happy moments of Halo at it's peak, and also the best novel (trufax, clearly). I'll miss your gift to Bungie.